Author Topic: School board inadvertently nails it  (Read 630 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
School board inadvertently nails it
« on: June 20, 2021, 08:32:27 PM »
Vancouver (BC) school board is eliminating honors classes in the name of ... well, something. Whatever they call it, it amounts to dragging everyone down to the lowest common denominator.

How could this happen? Here's what the school board had to say on the issue:

In an emailed statement to CBC News, a school board spokesperson said honours courses create inequities for students.

"By phasing out these courses, all students will have access to an inclusive model of education, and all students will be able to participate in the curriculum fulsomely," the statement reads.

How unwittingly appropriate. Here's the definition of "fulsomely":

Fully; abundantly.
In a fulsome manner; rankly; grossly; nauseously; obscenely.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

griz

• friend
Re: School board inadvertently nails it
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 09:07:45 PM »
They're trying to be more inclusive with their failures.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 05:45:12 AM »
All animals are equal (ly) dumbed down.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 07:51:26 AM »
Fairfax County, Virginia, has been squawking about that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 12:18:52 PM »
One of the articles I read on this mentioned something about how students in the honors classes are "unfairly penalized" because overall class rank is based purely on grade point average. I suppose this is supposed to justify dumbing down the curriculum.

However, I respectfully submit that this is a potential problem with honors classes. I graduated from high school in 1962. My school had an honors (or advanced placement) program at the time, such that students in the advanced placement program were taking all college-level courses in the senior year. One of the girls in that program was exceptionally smart, and had a really good average. However, she only got to be Salutatarian at our graduation. Who made Valedictorian? A girl who spent all four years taking typing, shorthand, and home economics.

That didn't stop Hilda from getting into a good college, but I have always thought it was unfair. But I have never come up with a weighting system to correct for it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 12:33:23 PM »
"but I have always thought it was unfair. But I have never come up with a weighting system to correct for it."

Some schools are doing away with honors and recognitions entirely and just going with the lowest common denominator, basically turning everyone's diploma into something less than a participation trophy.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 02:38:52 PM »
If they don’t like honors classes and students doing well they should move to Baltimore where a 0.13 GPA means you are at the top of the class

The public education system is one of the greatest cancers in the nation.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 02:43:27 PM »
Dear People of Color,

The Left thinks your children are to stupid to take Honors Classes.

Are you going to take that from them?

Come join us on the Right.

Lots of love,

Pb

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 10:36:23 AM »

That didn't stop Hilda from getting into a good college, but I have always thought it was unfair. But I have never come up with a weighting system to correct for it.

There's been high school evaluation disparities for a good while now.

Some schools run on a 4.0 GPA scale no matter what the course is.  An A in Home Economics or Pottery is a 4.0, the same as an A in Calculus or Physics or AP English Literature.  Other schools will run on a 5.0 GPA scale, inflate AP classes by 25% and keep the "normie" classes scored on a 4.0 scale.  This is how you hear of kids coming out of high school with a 4.7 GPA or something like that, I think.  I never really figured it out and wasn't a fan of it.  It makes it possible for a sub-par student with access to AP courses to have a "4.0" GPA (on a 5.0 scale) and that can sound good, when compared against a kid with a 3.9 GPA on a 4.0 scale. 

All the universities I applied to out of high school looked at GPA, extracurricular involvement, and the actual list of courses taken (giving weight to honors/AP coursework over GPA padding subjects). 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!