Author Topic: San Jose Mandates Insurance for all Gun Owners  (Read 1152 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
San Jose Mandates Insurance for all Gun Owners
« on: June 30, 2021, 05:15:19 PM »
San Jose passed an ordinance requiring all gun owners to get firearm liability insurance. Also, they will be required to pay a fee (tax) to cover city emergency services. It seems you would have to have a full registry of gun owners to carry out such an ordinance.

Sounds kinda illegal to me, but then I live in America, not San Jose, so what do I know?

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/06/30/san-jose-passes-ordinance-requiring-gun-owners-to-compensate-taxpayers-for-gun-violence/

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/San-Jose-to-require-gun-owners-to-compensate-16283422.php
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: San Jose Mandates Insurance for all Gun Owners
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 06:07:11 PM »
I'd say it's illegal and unconstitutional, but it's going to take years of court cases to resolve that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 06:30:30 PM »
Also, they will be required to pay a fee (tax) to cover city emergency services.

Forward the tax bill to known criminal's families
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 09:00:42 PM »
Forward the tax bill to known criminal's families

But only to the families of those who were not turning their lives around. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 09:54:35 PM »
Believe it or not, CA has gun law preemption... this may actually be struck down.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 10:20:52 PM »
Believe it or not, CA has gun law preemption... this may actually be struck down.

I wouldn't bet the farm on it knowing CA
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

JN01

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 03:15:56 AM »
The legislature will probably inflict that great idea on the whole state so San Jose has nothing to worry about.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 10:29:50 AM »
So as a risk manager, I know a fair amount about liability insurance, but I am unfamiliar with the concept of a stand-alone firearms liability insurance policy.  There are some self-defense policies that provide legal defense, and there are some policies that provide coverage for lost or stolen firearms used to commit a crime. Your homeowner's insurance provides some liability coverage for accidents involving a firearm. There is no coverage for intentional acts, such as deliberately shooting someone or liability incurred in the context of criminal acts.

So I did some research, and I am not finding a bunch of available policies that would provide the type of coverage that San Jose is looking for.

https://sanjosespotlight.com/vargas-a-call-for-mandatory-liability-insurance-on-firearms/

https://www.insure.com/home-insurance/gun-owners-insurance.html

https://www.iii.org/article/background-on-gun-liability

https://shamiehlaw.com/the-status-of-gun-liability-in-the-u-s/

I will be interested to see if the insurance industry comes out with policies designed to satisfy the liability requirements.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 11:33:04 AM »

I will be interested to see if the insurance industry comes out with policies designed to satisfy the liability requirements.

Were I a betting man, I might wager that the "liability insurance" will have a connection to the local gov there, in that it will be some expensive, nonsensical "insurance" in which the carrier will be required to give the local gov a 25% cut of the premiums.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 11:47:41 AM »
It doesn't sound like the self defense help many gun owners get.  This is liability insurance to pay the victim who doesn't deserve anything if it was self defense. 

People always talk about gun control not working.  They often don't mention that a consistent view of gun control people is to hate the victim of crime and empathize with the criminal. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 12:59:51 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 12:35:16 PM »
[snip]

So I did some research, and I am not finding a bunch of available policies that would provide the type of coverage that San Jose is looking for.

[links snipped]

Were I a betting man, I would say that is exactly what the city is hoping for.  They do not want insurance companies to develop liability policies for gun owners.  If insurance is not available, then gun owners will have to give up their firearms or move out of the city.
Not confiscation, but the effect is similar.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 01:13:19 PM »
Were I a betting man, I would say that is exactly what the city is hoping for.  They do not want insurance companies to develop liability policies for gun owners.  If insurance is not available, then gun owners will have to give up their firearms or move out of the city.

That was the point of poll taxes, it's hard to see how this law is any different.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 01:18:51 PM »

I believe one of the articles I read said that any gun owner who doesn't get the "insurance" will have their guns confiscated.

Hello, Kafka...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 01:21:32 PM »
I believe one of the articles I read said that any gun owner who doesn't get the "insurance" will have their guns confiscated.

Hello, Kafka...

I can see that getting real ugly real fast
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 01:53:35 PM »

It reminds me of California's earlier requirement that semi-auto handguns be equipped with "microstamping" technology before adding them to the "safe handgun" roster.  No major manufacturer produces microstamped handguns, so ...

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2021, 04:45:52 AM »
It doesn't sound like the self defense help many gun owners get.  This is liability insurance to pay the victim who doesn't deserve anything if it was self defense. 

People always talk about gun control not working.  They often don't mention that a consistent view of gun control people is to hate the victim of crime and empathize with the criminal. 

Exactly this. A constant common thread I see from pro gun people is “But how will I defend myself?” and “none of these measures will affect criminals, only law abiding citizens”

As if the anti’s give a *expletive deleted*it about you and your family.

The anti’s actively want you not able to defend yourself. They don’t care about the criminal having guns, they *expletive deleted*ing LOVE the criminal class (remember the deification of George Floyd) and hate normal productive citizens. It’s why cities become such perfect colonies for human cockroaches.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!