Author Topic: STIR/SHAKEN - is it improving your life?  (Read 445 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
STIR/SHAKEN - is it improving your life?
« on: July 01, 2021, 03:24:54 PM »
This might just be the first government program that has tangibly improved my life.

https://www.fcc.gov/call-authentication

FCC implemented these requirements for wireless telephone providers, and they went into effect at least for me (on AT&T) either the 29th or the 30th of June.  I used to get 4 or 5 shitty robocalls a day, with my same area code and prefix.  It's been silence for the last 48 hours.  Absolutely wonderful.

This is me, AZRedhawk44, anarcho-capitalist and former libertarian, giving a government agency an "attaboy" for something.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: STIR/SHAKEN - is it improving your life?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 03:47:12 PM »
This is interesting. I got an email from verizon probably a couple of months ago, indicating that they had rolled out their own spam filters, and  Idefinitely saw a decrease in spam calls, and when one came through, the caller ID was "potential spam".

If I read the OP right, this gov program just now started. Coincidentally, I have gotten a half dozen un-ID'd spam calls* yesterday and the same today, all with the area code from where I used to live.

* I'm assuming spam.  I don't answer unknown numbers. Several of the calls were from the same number, and none left a VM.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: STIR/SHAKEN - is it improving your life?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 03:54:23 PM »
I'm still getting a lot of Indian accented "____ from senior care" and robotic "THIS IS THE FEDERAL RESERVE AND WE HAVE DETECTED ..." calls.