Author Topic: LAPD bomb squad truck explodes during fireworks detonation, injuring 17  (Read 1498 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Sounds like they would have been better advised to haul it in small lots out to a remote place to dispose of it.

Being a cops kid in the good old days meant dad brought fun stuff home.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Had a neighbor who was Kentucky State Police. We helped him dispose of some.

Had a college roomie who was a deputy sheriff... He always had good weed.
Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Back in my high school days in Issaquah, WA, we had a neighbor that was a big wig in the Seattle PD.  He'd often bring some good fireworks home for July 4th.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
A more recent report I read indicated that the "explosive weight" is a conversion from the actual weight of the explosives to TNT equivalent, so it isn't as simple as setting the fireworks on a bathroom scale and seeing what comes out.  They had to estimate the weight of the flash powder inside the fireworks and then convert it.

They also said they estimated weight instead of weighing each one to reduce handling of the devices.

In any case, they messed up but good.

I doubt even that.

I still think they just loaded the TCV up with whatever fit, and figured it was non-explosive/low explosive and didn't count, estimate, or weigh anything, plus they probably threw in one of their own demolition/disposal charges in there to make sure "it all went off".
I promise not to duck.