Author Topic: Watching The Tomorrow War  (Read 988 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Watching The Tomorrow War
« on: July 11, 2021, 01:56:56 AM »
You know, the problem I see most with the movie is that it is obvious that the only people who survived the bugs' initial attacks were people who didn't understand the value of peace through superior firepower. As in "big firepower."
Blog under construction

Jim147

• friends
Re: Watching The Tomorrow War
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 02:28:34 AM »
I fell asleep the first time. The second time yes why did they take such suck weapons in to war? Ar10's or M1A was needed. It's the normal thing that they have no idea what weapons are.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 02:32:06 AM »
Bloopers.

And not the cinematic type.
Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 08:18:31 AM »
I thought it was a lousy movie.  Wrote a scathing review on Amazon.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 09:30:04 AM »
Got curious and since I had almost no intention of actually watching it due to some concerns aroused by the previews I checked out some YT videos and, yeah, the plot isn't well though out and is flat out stupid at times. Unfortunately time travel plots allow for a lot of lazy writing if not properly done and from what I've seen TW suffers from this in spades which is a shame because the aliens appear to have a huge amount of story potential.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 07:04:09 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 12:15:13 PM »
And they just had to go for woke with the global warming...
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 12:18:22 PM »
And they just had to go for woke with the global warming...

In part 2 it will be revealed the aliens were actually the good guys saving the earth by wiping out humanity. President AOC will sign a treaty with them promising to wipe out white people and ban toilet paper
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 12:31:54 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 12:34:32 AM »
I thought it was an entertaining action movie in the tradition of the Transformers movies.  Might have been better than Disney Star Wars but it has shades of the stupid bomber sequence from that 2nd movie.  I think it could have been a lot better with more meat fleshing out the practical side of the story and being a little more creative with the action/weapons. 

Probably a lot more to talk about, but I don't want to give too many spoilers.  Sorry if I already did. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 12:59:45 AM »
The "jump" thing as... Nope.

"Okay, we're gonna wrap each of you in bubblewrap. 14 layers. And under that, and between the layers, we're putting belts for the .50 and for the slug throwers. Don't even try to stand up.  Now your handlers will help you waddle out there, so wait for the signal."
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 08:18:57 AM »
I caught part of it last weekend...

Not really sure I'm going to catch the rest of it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 08:42:35 AM »
The "jump" thing as... Nope.

"Okay, we're gonna wrap each of you in bubblewrap. 14 layers. And under that, and between the layers, we're putting belts for the .50 and for the slug throwers. Don't even try to stand up.  Now your handlers will help you waddle out there, so wait for the signal."
They included some dialogue to point out the "jump" coordinates were fouled up, but since it was the only one we saw, we didn't have any basis for comparison.  IMO, they needed to flesh out the story a bit more.  Maybe it needed to be a mini-series type movie.  With streaming, the the run time isn't so important.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2021, 10:20:28 AM »
As an action flick where you turn your brain off, it was "okay".

As sci-fi, it stank.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2021, 01:18:30 PM »
https://youtu.be/rKEvcYOEDzs
The Guns of “The Tomorrow War”

Brandon Herrera does a quick look at the guns.  Sums up a lot of the issues I had with the movie.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2021, 09:15:13 AM »
I am determined to finish it.

Works out to about five minutes, then pause when they do something stupid...

"Let's not share proof of aliens. Instead, since we know they are complete badasses, let us dozen folks with marginal weapons bravely twist their tails..."
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2021, 09:19:04 AM »

"Let's not share proof of aliens. Instead, since we know they are complete badasses, let us dozen folks with marginal weapons bravely twist their tails..."

Took 2 or 3 starts and stops to finish Star Wars Ep.7
5 or 6 for Ep.8
Ep.9, didn't even bother to start.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2021, 09:25:28 AM »

Yeah, they treated the people going to fight like cannon fodder.  Seemed like they treated those in the future the same way.  Why were they wearing the armor and black uniforms in the future when they did no good?

If they had a toxin that could kill the males, why didn't they immediately start shooting poison bullets?  I actually thought they were going to dust them from overhead, but I guess not.  The regular bullets weren't doing crap anyway. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2021, 09:26:31 AM »
https://youtu.be/k5K4aL5e7ME
Tomorrow War SUCKS -- GAME KNIGHTS

I didn't realize Shadiversity had a discussion channel. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2021, 09:58:15 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBaePRS0d-0
The Dumbest Way To Fight A War | The Tomorrow War

"A very big deal is made of how few people return from the future war, but no one seems to have put in much effort to try and change that."

One thing I forgot, the people in the future apparently have sensors that let them see the white spikes from overhead yet still get surprised and ambushed during the movie like they are invisible.  If they could see them, they could use ground attack helicopters or even drones to take them out.
Another fact mentioned in the previous video pointed out so much was put into this toxin they are developing, but in the end, they kill most of them with simple C-4 explosives.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2021, 10:06:44 AM »
The Tomorrow War Pitch Meeting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzdm_YWwEbA
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2021, 12:22:46 PM »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2021, 12:47:02 PM »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2021, 09:29:28 PM »
ZOMG, it is the movie that never ends...

"Well, this must be the end... nope... Okay, they'll get 'em... uh..."
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 10:44:32 AM »
Enter The Critical Drinker

The Tomorrow War, starring Chris Pratt and JK Simmons, is a dumb, obvious, cliched sci-fi action movie. It's also surprisingly fun. Join me as I find out why.

The Tomorrow War - Silly But Enjoyable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR-BZ0Mg6BQ
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2021, 10:20:06 PM »
Gawd, but I still have not finished it... I watch a few minutes, scream, and then twitch as I change the stream...
Blog under construction