Author Topic: Leonard Nimoy on Global Cooling  (Read 1258 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Leonard Nimoy on Global Cooling
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2021, 06:59:07 AM »
Giant sharks were going to eat you if you came within 50ft of the ocean. If the giant rabbits didn't get you first that is.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2021, 08:17:29 AM »
Yeah, that movie popped into my head while trying to come up with a reply. Therapy started yesterday.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2021, 09:05:21 AM »
Not exactly.  The fresh water coming out of that area between Canada and Greenland was theorized to flow south and block the GS like a wall, preventing its northward flow.  It would also be a great deal more water than that area has experienced in over 20,000 years.  Without that flow, the return current along the ocean flow would also stop and not replenish the Gulf Stream.  No GS - no tropical warmth to the north Atlantic.  Everything from Iceland and Ireland on north would become the new Siberia.
I would be curious what all the assumptions were going into that model.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2021, 11:45:07 PM »
Ironic considering that around that time (1975) they were screaming Global Cooling and that we were all going to die unless we found a way to warm the earth.

Background and recording
The song features the Swedish climate change activist Greta Thunberg, who began missing school on Fridays in August 2018 to protest outside the Swedish Riksdag (parliament) with a sign reading "Skolstrejk för klimatet" ("School strike for the climate"). In November 2018, this sparked a global movement of climate strikes.[1] Aged 16 at the time of the song's release, she was the first featured artist on a recording by the 1975; the band had previously criticised that guest appearances in music were primarily intended to improve chart positioning

The 1975 (2019 song)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_1975_(2019_song)
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes