Author Topic: Those Texas Democrats  (Read 3480 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Those Texas Democrats
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2021, 07:13:39 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/texas-supreme-court-allows-for-arrest-of-democrats-who-dont-show-up-to-legislature

The Texas Supreme Court Tuesday voided a district judge's temporary restraining order that blocked the threat of arrest for Democratic lawmakers who fled the state last month.

Republican Gov. Greg Abbott threatened to arrest the nearly 60 Democratic representatives who fled the Texas legislature in order to block Republicans from establishing a quorum and passing a contested voting reforms bill.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2021, 02:40:27 PM »
I'll consider it "done" if and when some of the commie bastards actually get arrested.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2021, 02:46:46 PM »
Can the Rangers go get them? Or are their jurisdictional issues?

I suspect if they have to wait on the DC police to grab and extradite them, it'll be a while.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2021, 03:05:31 PM »
Can the Rangers go get them? Or are their jurisdictional issues?

I suspect if they have to wait on the DC police to grab and extradite them, it'll be a while.

I'm pretty sure this belongs to the Texas Rangers, and they would not have jurisdiction in another state (unless maybe under the "hot pursuit" doctrine like in Smokey and the Bandit"  :laugh:)  So they'd have to request extradition.  And the outlaw Dems are folk heroes in Yankeeland so good luck with that.

D.C. might be a special case since it's a federal enclave and not actually in Virginia or Maryland; the Rangers might be able to make an arrest there -- but I doubt it.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2021, 07:36:17 PM »
This is of interest because in another topic here (on covid) we're also talking about district judges making rulings that the orders of Governors are null and void:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/08/12/district-judges-sign-orders-temporarily-protecting-40-texas-democrats-from-civil-arrest-says-runaway-rep-gene-wu/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2021, 07:53:33 PM »
This is of interest because in another topic here (on covid) we're also talking about district judges making rulings that the orders of Governors are null and void:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/08/12/district-judges-sign-orders-temporarily-protecting-40-texas-democrats-from-civil-arrest-says-runaway-rep-gene-wu/

Federal judge doesn't have jurisdiction, IMHO.  This belongs in the state supreme court.  Rangers or state troopers should arrest them anyway.
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2021, 07:45:53 AM »
Federal judge doesn't have jurisdiction, IMHO.  This belongs in the state supreme court.  Rangers or state troopers should arrest them anyway.

It was a State Judge.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2021, 08:59:30 AM »
Ha ha - these chumps are quietly slinking back into the state. I guess Afghanistan has made their "story" irrelevant and DC dems don't have time for them anymore, as they are trying to keep Congress from flipping R next year.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2021, 09:13:18 AM »
Are the arrest warrants still active?

Also, how long is the TX legislature in session for?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2021, 09:15:05 AM »
Any of them claimed PTSD yet?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2021, 11:21:44 AM »

I thought it was the Texas Supreme Court that said they could issue the arrest warrants. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2021, 09:32:36 PM »
https://www.dailywire.com/news/election-integrity-is-now-law-in-texas-abbott-signs-bill-that-triggered-dem-flight-to-dc?itm_source=parsely-api&utm_campaign=daily_shapiro&utm_medium=email&utm_source=housefile&utm_content=news
Abbott Signs Bill That Triggered Dem Flight To DC

The bill got passed.  Just took a few months longer for it to happen. 

.....but we got to see a side show with Texas Dems flaunting mask rules and spreading COVID to officials in D.C.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge