Author Topic: Wikipedia Co-Founder Says Not to Trust Wikipedia  (Read 951 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Wikipedia Co-Founder Says Not to Trust Wikipedia
« on: July 17, 2021, 08:29:54 AM »
Larry Sanger, a co-founder of Wikipedia has come out and said that Wikipedia should not be trusted because of its left-wing bias. Most of us here knew that of course, but having one of the main wiki guys come out and say it should be something of an eye-opener for the sheep. It likely won't be of course.

I'll just put up a search URL so you can pick your news source:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=wikipedia+founder&atb=v252-1&iar=news&ia=news
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Wikipedia Co-Founder Says Not to Trust Wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 09:11:33 AM »
I'm starting to refer to it as Wokepedia.

Can't really document it but I think I've seen editing changes which favor leftish and woke views.  Trouble is, when I notice it, the original material is lost and gone forever.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 09:28:05 AM »
I'm starting to refer to it as Wokepedia.

Can't really document it but I think I've seen editing changes which favor leftish and woke views.  Trouble is, when I notice it, the original material is lost and gone forever.

Not so much, wikipedia has version control.  Top of the page, any article.  History tab.
For more fun, look at the "talk" page, where folks are discussing changes to the article.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 10:31:34 AM »
I use it for an overview and then look at the sources. My one attempt at a wiki edit I noticed an armored vehicle being used in an African conflict. Clearly marked with its nation. Wiki article about said crappy tank didn't list that country as an operator. I fixed it with reference links. Rejected. Not woke, think it is more a clubhouse atmosphere where outside editors aren't welcome.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 10:56:20 AM »
I use it for an overview and then look at the sources. My one attempt at a wiki edit I noticed an armored vehicle being used in an African conflict. Clearly marked with its nation. Wiki article about said crappy tank didn't list that country as an operator. I fixed it with reference links. Rejected. Not woke, think it is more a clubhouse atmosphere where outside editors aren't welcome.

There is some very basic stuff that I will, in general, take wiki's word for. Along the lines of, "Who was the seventeenth President?". It's something that can't be refuted or "curated". But that's it. Wiki is already filling up with stuff like "1619" nonsense, so you can't even count on them for basic, documented history.

I don't care to look, but I'm wondering, under "biology", how many human genders they have listed these days?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 11:01:00 AM »

I don't care to look, but I'm wondering, under "biology", how many human genders they have listed these days?

220, 221, whatever it takes . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 03:22:19 PM »

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 12:52:55 PM »
"Wikipedia Co-Founder Says Not to Trust Wikipedia"

Did he mention the New York Times?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 01:27:15 PM »
"Wikipedia Co-Founder Says Not to Trust Wikipedia"

Did he mention the New York Times?

It's not a lie when the lie is the truth.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 10:45:09 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 11:43:22 PM »
This is why I have never used any "social media".  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”