Author Topic: Dickinson Ranger Bullpup 12ga, anyone with experience?  (Read 3757 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Pb

• friend
Re: Dickinson Ranger Bullpup 12ga, anyone with experience?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 04:03:30 PM »
I don't have any experience with the gun but...

Plastic shotgun shells in a detachable magazine are notorious for being deformed under pressure after long storage... causing misfeeds.

I wouldn't use any shotgun of that type for HD unless you have all-metal shotshells.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 01:01:46 AM »
https://dkfirearms.com/product/mossberg-590-12ga-9-shot-20-ghost-ring-sights/
I saw this show up on an email.  Might be a better alternative for a defense shot gun.  Depends on if you really want a semi-auto.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 09:22:27 AM »
I already have a Cruiser nestled between the bed and nightstand. The bullpup was interesting because, well, just because. The shell deformation thing Pd mentioned is pretty much a deal-breaker though. Hadn't considered that.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 09:37:27 AM »
The shell deformation thing is a feature of most if not all box magazine shotguns.
I guess you could get around the problem by either

A) Use the above mentioned metal casings.
B) Leave the magazine out until needed since the deformation is usually caused by the top round pressing up against the bottom of the bolt.
C) Keep the bolt locked back
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 11:52:32 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 10:17:01 AM »
I don't have any experience with the gun but...

Plastic shotgun shells in a detachable magazine are notorious for being deformed under pressure after long storage... causing misfeeds.

I wouldn't use any shotgun of that type for HD unless you have all-metal shotshells.

Hum... I should check the shells in my shotgun. Been awhile. Standard tube magazine, but still...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 11:38:55 AM »
I'll try to find the article, but I read an interesting opinion piece on why you should stay away from any of the turkish rebrands for any kind of social work.  The takeaway was poor reliability and poor/nonexistent support/repair parts.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 11:43:03 AM »
I'll try to find the article, but I read an interesting opinion piece on why you should stay away from any of the turkish rebrands for any kind of social work.  The takeaway was poor reliability and poor/nonexistent support/repair parts.

The main reason I haven’t bought one.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 01:03:28 PM »
The main reason I haven’t bought one.

Yeah, I've been looking at some of these bullpup and AK style shotguns, but mostly for fun. If you're life depends on it, save up the ducats for a Benelli M4 if you want to go semi-auto and count on it, or else spend way less money on a Mossberg 500 or an 870 and train.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 05:21:17 PM »
I thought we were all using Taurus Judges for home defense. ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 07:55:20 AM »
I've toyed with the idea of getting one of the bullpups, but I don't need one, and I wouldn't depend on it for personal protection for many of the reasons already stated.

I'm also not sure where I'd shoot it in Northern Virginia, as I don't think the NRA range allows bullpup configuration shotguns on their range.

I'll stick with my S&W 3000 for home defense. If that ever gives me a problem, I'll go the Joe Biden route with my double barrel.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 10:47:21 AM »
I've toyed with the idea of getting one of the bullpups, but I don't need one, and I wouldn't depend on it for personal protection for many of the reasons already stated.

I'm also not sure where I'd shoot it in Northern Virginia, as I don't think the NRA range allows bullpup configuration shotguns on their range.

I'll stick with my S&W 3000 for home defense. If that ever gives me a problem, I'll go the Joe Biden route with my double barrel.
The CZ side by side shotgun is made in ..um.. Turkey.  Supposed to be pretty nice. 

I guess Turkish guns depend on where it is made.  I have see reviews on some like the 1911A1 model that is imported that people say is pretty good.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 11:16:21 AM »
"The CZ side by side shotgun is made in ..um.. Turkey.  Supposed to be pretty nice.  "

They are. They're very nice. They also have the full weight of CZ behind them.

Does that bullpup have the full weight of Dickinson Arms behind them? How much weight is that?

My double is a Stevens 311 made in the 1950s. If it goes TU I probably won't be able to fix it quickly, but damn it's fun to shoot.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 11:22:26 AM »
"The CZ side by side shotgun is made in ..um.. Turkey.  Supposed to be pretty nice.  "

They are. They're very nice. They also have the full weight of CZ behind them.

That reminds me, I need to drop CZ an angrygram. Rear sight fell off my CZ-527 rifle on the first range trip.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 11:37:50 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 06:03:07 PM »
That reminds me, I need to drop CZ an angrygram. Rear sight fell off my CZ-527 rifle on the first range trip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM
I would like to point out the sight falling off is certainly not typical.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 07:07:38 PM »
I thought we were all using Taurus Judges for home defense. ???

Naw, the Judge is for blowing up cans of Red Bull.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2021, 07:55:22 AM »
I have a US made bullpup 12 ga, and it's fun, and mine is reliable,  but it's a toy gun, not a serious gun.

For home defense a 12 ga is pretty far down my list.  Loud, heavy recoil, high flash, and limited capacity all count against shotguns for home defense. Pumps add stress induced cycling issues to the mix.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2021, 08:09:44 AM »
I have a US made bullpup 12 ga, and it's fun, and mine is reliable,  but it's a toy gun, not a serious gun.

For home defense a 12 ga is pretty far down my list.  Loud, heavy recoil, high flash, and limited capacity all count against shotguns for home defense. Pumps add stress induced cycling issues to the mix.

Joe Biden would like to have a word...

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2021, 10:28:46 AM »
Joe Biden would like to have a word...

=D

One word from Biden will still be word salad .....  =D [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero