Author Topic: A Couple of Interesting Youtube Gun Videos  (Read 766 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
A Couple of Interesting Youtube Gun Videos
« on: July 20, 2021, 03:42:38 PM »
Both Garand Thumb and Wilson Combat put out new videos today. I watched them over lunch.

Garand Thumb: This one was mostly funny. He was testing a Hi-Point carbine, the "worst gun he has ever shot". I was cracking up every time he pulled the trigger and nothing happened (well, except for a NSFW language warning).  :laugh:

Hi-Point actually provided the gun, but man, he DID NOT hold back on it. I bet some executives at Hi-Point are yelling at somebody today for letting that carbine leave their factory.  :laugh:

https://youtu.be/RLwhU5s86sU

Wilson Combat on, "Why carry a 1911?", asking if the 1911 is still a viable carry gun today (yes, of course it is sez I!).

What caught my attention in this video was when they were talking about retention from bad guys. Massad brought up an interesting anecdote regarding people's ability to operate a cocked and locked 1911 if they weren't familiar with them. He said that a test was done using people unfamiliar with a revolver and a 1911. Timed, they had to pick the gun up off a table and get a shot off. With the revolver, the average time was like two seconds. With the cocked and locked 1911, EIGHTEEN seconds. I couldn't believe that, and if it were someone other than Massad Ayoob, I might call them a liar.

The analog they gave, was to me, something similar to carjackers confronted with a stick shift. It might be that we're getting to a time when striker fire guns are so ubiquitous and 1911s so little used that like the carjacker, a bad guy trying to take your 1911 might get discombobulated figuring out how to use it against you. Massad also mentioned a neat trick regarding the thumb safety when the gun is out of battery due to pressure on the front of the barrel (near the end of the video).

https://youtu.be/GPC0mmKlBrE

Anyway, I found them both to be interesting viewing.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: A Couple of Interesting Youtube Gun Videos
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 05:20:00 PM »
Massad brought up an interesting anecdote regarding people's ability to operate a cocked and locked 1911 if they weren't familiar with them.

I've heard that few times, though not specifically about the 1911. It could apply to any gun with a manual safety.

Also, it would be interesting to see how younger shooters would interact with a single-action revolver, if it's not been explained to them already.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 05:59:47 PM »
Re Hi-Point carbine:  "I'm not holding this to my face."

Yeah, I don't blame him.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 10:12:55 AM »
Re Hi-Point carbine:  "I'm not holding this to my face."

Yeah, I don't blame him.

:laugh:

I used to be paranoid when I was collecting milsurps. If I had one that I wanted to turn into a shooter instead of a safe queen, even if it passed the go/no go, I'd still put it in a vise, tie a string to the trigger, and let go the first round from behind cover.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 12:18:47 PM »
The mag he appeared to be using

https://www.natchezss.com/hi-point-redball-extended-magazine-for-hi-point-ts-995-carbine-9mm-20-rd.html

Note
THIS MAGAZINE WILL NOT WORK IN THE 9MM HANDGUN OR THE .3895 CARBINE

Edit: It appears the 3895 is a 380 so my bad
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 12:23:17 PM »
I thought he said that Hi-Point sent him the mags.  If so, the bad performance is on them.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 12:26:14 PM »
I thought he said that Hi-Point sent him the mags.  If so, the bad performance is on them.

It appears the 3895 is a 380 so my bad
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 12:35:06 PM »
Those mags are distributed by MKS Supply which also happens to be the distributor for HP. Mags as far as I call tell are manufactured by RedBall Sports so still aftermarket.
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 12:38:30 PM »
Those mags are distributed by MKS Supply which also happens to be the distributor for HP. Mags as far as I call tell are manufactured by RedBall Sports so still aftermarket.
I've seen Hi Points run very well on the normal factory magazines.  If he had been using those it might have run better.
But given his style of shooting is very heavy on the fast trigger finger, I doubt he would have been willing to do that many mag changes, and Hi Point said he could use those for the test.  So ...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 01:00:06 PM »
I've seen Hi Points run very well on the normal factory magazines.  If he had been using those it might have run better.

Maybe he'll do a second video. He did that for the Desert Tech MDR after the first one they sent him pooped out:

https://youtu.be/hq2Jzn6qCHQ

Here he torture tests a Hi Point pistol vs a Glock:

https://youtu.be/8DlvZpM2DWY

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 01:20:16 PM »
I'm still waiting on the High Tower doublestacks
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 01:38:22 PM »
Maybe he'll do a second video. He did that for the Desert Tech MDR after the first one they sent him pooped out:

https://youtu.be/hq2Jzn6qCHQ

I think every video I ever saw had issues with the MDR for the first year or two.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 01:52:41 PM »
I think every video I ever saw had issues with the MDR for the first year or two.

Yeah, they are bad ass looking guns, and I was seriously contemplating one, but even on version 2.0 or whatever, I still see glitches in test videos. Maybe by v3.0 they'll be at a place where I would buy one. They're probably a good range gun right now, but I'd be looking for home defense reliability as well before I forked over that many ducats.