Author Topic: Heart attack kills man being swatted over his Twitter handle.  (Read 1058 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
And it was minors who did it.

Five years is NOT enough!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Heart attack kills man being swatted over his Twitter handle.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 06:00:44 PM »
For a Twitter name? What in the actual?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 06:08:36 PM »
I think a short drop and a sudden stop is more in order. We to start setting examples again.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 06:34:17 PM »
Five years is definitely not enough.

Fifty years might be in the ballpark.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 06:44:03 PM »
Five years is definitely not enough.

Fifty years might be in the ballpark.

It should be a murder charge; the cops were the murder weapon.  Perhaps not first degree murder.  That's also what I thought about whoever called 911 on John Crawford III, although this case even moreso because it was targeted.  JC3 was just some poor black schmuck in a Walmart and could have been anybody.  BTW, have you noticed BLM ignores him?  Not controversial enough.  They only like 3-time-losers who are wrongly killed (or sometimes not wrongly) by police.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 09:00:44 PM »
It should be a murder charge; the cops were the murder weapon.  Perhaps not first degree murder.  That's also what I thought about whoever called 911 on John Crawford III, although this case even moreso because it was targeted.  JC3 was just some poor black schmuck in a Walmart and could have been anybody.  BTW, have you noticed BLM ignores him?  Not controversial enough.  They only like 3-time-losers who are wrongly killed (or sometimes not wrongly) by police.

I was going to say it should be murder. The problem is that I think a murder charge requires an intent to kill the victim, and I doubt the people pulling this SWAT prank intended for anyone to die.

Maybe manslaughter.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 09:36:52 PM »
I was going to say it should be murder. The problem is that I think a murder charge requires an intent to kill the victim, and I doubt the people pulling this SWAT prank intended for anyone to die.

Maybe manslaughter.

Considering that there have been highly publicized swattings that have resulted in someone's death it could be argued that was the intent
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:22:39 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 10:18:55 PM »
Please don't go after @bogiestl, but you can follow me...

Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 10:24:55 PM »
Please don't go after @bogiestl, but you can follow me...

Just remember to yell "I'm taking all of you with me!" when the swat team arrives.
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 10:42:40 PM »
Considering that there have been highly publicized swattings that have resulted in someone's death it could be argued that was the intent

It should be very easy to argue that.  Might not be easy to prove though, because the standard of proof is high.  Perhaps that's the realm of civil lawsuits, although the scumbags involved are probably judgement-proof.

I think they could try for murder 1 and fallback on murder 2 or manslaughter, etc.  (depends on the definitions in that state)
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 06:04:26 AM »
I think they could try for murder 1 and fallback on murder 2 or manslaughter, etc.  (depends on the definitions in that state)
And depending on the number of riots spawned by the event, just convict on everything whether it applies or not.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 10:38:18 AM »
And sue and take everything they and their parents have (if anything).  Sucks to be them, but that should hurt. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 10:39:07 AM »

What is with the generic SWAT training picture?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 10:41:39 AM »
"He went out the house with a gun, because he heard someone was on his property," Fitch explained. "He sees all these cops around him, and they ask if he is Mark Herring, 'put your hands up,' so he tosses the gun away from him to show he's not a threat, and [put his] hands up."

It was then that Herring suffered a heart attack. He died in hospital soon after.
Wonder how long he lay there before someone started giving first aid?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 10:42:50 AM »
Why haven't cops figured out how to determine when someone is SWAT-ing?  It seems to me with all the data available out there, they could get location information and verify if the caller is in the area. 

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 12:27:39 PM »
We had two last month in the county seat. First was a little old lady and second was an empty house.

I never heard a follow up after they reported they were trying to trace the calls location.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 02:45:13 PM »
And depending on the number of riots spawned by the event, just convict on everything whether it applies or not.

You know I don't agree with that.  ;/  If they can prove the death was intentional convict for murder.  If death was a likely outcome but was not intended, you convict for manslaughter or second degree murder or whatever they call it in that state.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 02:50:57 PM »
You know I don't agree with that.  ;/  If they can prove the death was intentional convict for murder.  If death was a likely outcome but was not intended, you convict for manslaughter or second degree murder or whatever they call it in that state.

Unless the victim was George Floyd.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 03:42:46 PM »
You know I don't agree with that.  ;/
Yes, I do.  Sorry, I wasn't implying that's what you wanted.  Just remarking on how that has played out recently.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2021, 06:00:11 PM »
It does not need to be the intention to cause death to be a murder charge.  They did an intentional illegal act that a reasonable person would know could lead to death or serious bodily injury of the target.  Depends on how murder is defined in that state.  I thought most states had two or three types. 

Now the fact that he died of a heart attack might change things a bit, but I doubt a jury would be all that merciful. 

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2021, 11:26:51 PM »
And the perp in the UK is apparently a juvie and will neither be named OR extradited !  "It" gets off scot free, as the article in the OP makes no mention of any consequences.
And YES, five years isn't enough as this perp seems to have a warped and twisted manner of thinking.  He needs "sufficient time" for the doctors to try and straighten him out.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”