Author Topic: Ford dealer customer service fail  (Read 1963 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Ford dealer customer service fail
« on: July 23, 2021, 03:48:48 PM »
Here is my Ford debacle as posted Facebook. Posted it on the dealership's Facebook page as well but surprisingly enough it didn't stay up long.

Bought our brand new 2021 Ford Explorer on June 28th.
Less than 24 hours after we drove it off the lot it showed an airbag fault, that was June 29th. Called in to Jack Kissee Ford service department,  they can't get it in till Friday July 9th. Take it in on the 9th and they decide it needs a wiring harness. They've put in an "emergency order" (their words) and they should have the part on Monday. Oh, and by the way it's not safe to drive. Nice to know after Mitzie and the grand kids have been running around in it for a week.
Called on Tuesday,  don't have the part, can't get the part, no idea when they might get the part. Called back on Friday,  still no parts. I let them know that I am very unhappy and request an escalation.  Another manager calls me back and offers to bring me a loaner, offer accepted.
So now I've had their loaner for a week (they keep calling it a rental? If they try to charge me rental things will get unpleasant). Still don't have the part and no idea when (or if) they will get the part.
Our brand spanking new Explorer is still waiting parts. Jack Kissee Ford tells me there is nothing they can do. Meanwhile, it's been sitting on their lot waiting repair longer than it was in my driveway. I have to tag it next week and I still haven't even put a tank of gas through it. I can't recommend Jack kissee Ford or Ford in general. Very dissatisfied and disappointed.

I'm *expletive deleted*ing pissed. So far I have been proffesional when dealing with the service manager while making damned sure he knows I'm absolutely livid and thoroughly disgusted with the whole affair.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Ford dealer customer service fail
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 03:55:53 PM »
Could be a similar/related problem to the chip shortage that's effecting all makes, they just can't get certain parts right now.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 04:13:36 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 04:12:32 PM »
I think WLJ is probably right. Their hands are tied if the part is not currently available.

Enjoy the loaner. Smoke some weed in it, and take it off-roading.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 04:16:59 PM »
Yeah, if you've got a comparable loaner is there a real issue?  You're putting depreciation on someone else's vehicle instead of your own.

Considering the price of rental cars these days I wonder how much it is hurting them already ...

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 04:26:56 PM »
Keep careful track of the days. If it goes out to day 31, this link may come in handy...

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/lemon-law/

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 04:38:00 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 05:06:07 PM »
Oklahoma lemon law kicks in at 30 business days in the shop for the same problem. Today makes 11 business days. As far as their hands being tied I call bullshit. And in polite language I told.the service manager that i considered their stance to be one of won't rather than can't.
I haven't even tagged it yet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 05:14:18 PM »
Yeah, I'm afraid with the shortages/delays on so many things it will be hard to pin it on the dealer. I wonder if they have any vehicles just like yours on the lot? If you made a big enough stink, maybe they would pull the part from a yet to be sold vehicle and let that one sit in order to avoid the bad PR.*

The covid makes it really hard to know what is going on in a lot of industries. In some cases, the parts actually are floating around on the ocean, unable to be delivered. In other cases, people use the covid as an excuse. I had lunch with my realtor friend around a month ago, and she said title companies and loan companies continually use covid as an excuse for delays, even though it doesn't seem to make sense for covid to affect a title search.

*Google reviews can make a difference. I got hosed on something when I bought my F150 back in 2016. Dealer made promises regarding missing items in the truck that the salesmen kept blowing off after they got their check for the truck. I finally got sick of it and wrote a detailed one star review on Google. I got a call from the general manager the next morning and got it resolved within 24 hours.

If you write a negative review, avoid making it emotional. Detail the problem using neutral, non-whiny language. Because if you go on a rant, it just looks to readers like someone who complains about everything, and the dealer might ignore it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 05:18:07 PM »
Parts are in extremely short supply, especially in the automotive and trucking segments. Just in time inventory does not work in a pandemic world.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 05:30:02 PM »
Oklahoma lemon law kicks in at 30 business days in the shop for the same problem. Today makes 11 business days. As far as their hands being tied I call bullshit. And in polite language I told.the service manager that i considered their stance to be one of won't rather than can't.
I haven't even tagged it yet.

From the BBB link above, it looks like it's 30 cumulative days, not consecutive, in one calendar year. It's in the "Reasonable Number of Repair Attempts" section. Keeps them from being able to do the Day 29 shuffle that some places try.

Brad
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 06:30:48 PM »
Yup, 30 cumulative business days total for the same problem. Weekends and holidays don't count.

They've got a few '21 Explorers on the lot so cannibalizing could be a possibility but I doubt they'll take that option. 

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 08:33:21 PM »
do they have another one just like it in stok
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2021, 08:57:53 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMljRGC0eBJrxbUorWEnasg

Lemon law is his specialty.

He had a video a few days back about a new Mustang that was in the dealer repair shop for 6 months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJbATmr6zRQ

:facepalm:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 09:23:46 PM »
do they have another one just like it in stok

Nope, closest they have is a white 2wd  XLT trim version. Not interested in 2wd or white.
The F150 XLT they loaned me is also 2wd and black. I'm not a fan of black vehicles. Just don't care for the truck,  I don't like the interior layout. It has 6 passenger seating but if flip up the front middle seat you lose the cup holders.

I also posted my above rant to the dealership's Facebook page, it wasn't up very long. I then posted it to their Facebook messenger.  Got.a reply pretty quick on that. Figured it was a bot at first but my wife confirmed that they did have a person of that name as an employee. Anyway, not too long after that interaction my salesman called me. He was very apologetic, didn't know about my problems, gonna stay on top of things, yadda, yadda yadda...I ain't gonna hold my breath.
I'm even less impressed with the dealership after this demonstration of no internal communication between service and sales.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2021, 10:01:45 PM »
My last post was short. I had a destruction of right hand today. If they can't replace it at this point tell them to **** off. You will find something something someplace else.

Did you use Ford finance? If so call them next.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2021, 10:31:55 PM »
It ain't just about chips... Someone stole the cats off one of our new Nissan Kicks parts delivery cars - there were SIX sets available in the entire country.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2021, 06:49:34 AM »
 I've become friendly with the service writer at my Subaru dealership.

Last year I had it in, if you all remember, because rodents chewed the wiring harness and it needed to be replaced.

A few weeks ago I stopped by for an oil change and was talking to Edwin and the wiring harness came up. He said it's good that it happened last year, because right now, there are likely NO specialty parts like that available for Subarus anywhere in the country, and they're having problems getting a steady supply of standard item parts.

So yeah, I feel your pain, Larry, but this really doesn't seem to be the dealership screwing you around; this seems to be the entire world screwing you around.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2021, 08:14:03 AM »
I've become friendly with the service writer at my Subaru dealership.

Last year I had it in, if you all remember, because rodents chewed the wiring harness and it needed to be replaced.

A few weeks ago I stopped by for an oil change and was talking to Edwin and the wiring harness came up. He said it's good that it happened last year, because right now, there are likely NO specialty parts like that available for Subarus anywhere in the country, and they're having problems getting a steady supply of standard item parts.

So yeah, I feel your pain, Larry, but this really doesn't seem to be the dealership screwing you around; this seems to be the entire world screwing you around.

You can thank the  “lock everything down and pay people to stay home” crowd who doesn’t understand a damn thing about the economy and how interconnected everything is

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2021, 09:23:05 AM »
My local Jeep dealer parts manager told me they are waiting 5-6 months for some parts.
My Samsung dishwasher went out under warranty and my appliance repair guy said 2-3 months is likely. He patched it up and said it might be ok until the part comes in, or it might not.
The supply problem is everywhere.
They probably consider the loaner rental same thing and likely Ford Corp reimburses them something on it.
I understand frustration at having a newly purchased vehicle out of service, but honestly? I don’t think they are jacking you as much as they are just unable to fix it in the way you expect.
I would blame China they probably made the pandemic and the wiring harness and my dishwasher and Jeep parts.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2021, 10:12:42 AM »

My Samsung dishwasher went out under warranty and my appliance repair guy said 2-3 months is likely. He patched it up and said it might be ok until the part comes

Yeah, even early on last year, I had an in-warranty repair done on my Maytag commercial washing machine and the guy then told me I was lucky that he was just able to repair it (some part had worked loose), because a bunch of his other customers were going to the laundromat due to even simple and common parts being unavailable with no delivery timeframe.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2021, 12:12:10 PM »
If it goes 30 days, I would still threaten lemon law.  There are probably other ways they could get the wiring harness IMO.  Either way, you shouldn't be making payments and paying interest while your vehicle is at their shop.  The value is steadily dropping and you can't even use it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2021, 12:51:27 PM »
If it goes 30 days, I would still threaten lemon law. There are probably other ways they could get the wiring harness IMO. Either way, you shouldn't be making payments and paying interest while your vehicle is at their shop.  The value is steadily dropping and you can't even use it.

That's my thought,, have they quit building these things? If not there is probably a box of them sitting on the assembly line just waiting for a new build to come by to install it. Even if they are building 22s it is probably the same harness.

bob

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2021, 12:52:54 PM »
If it goes 30 days, I would still threaten lemon law.  There are probably other ways they could get the wiring harness IMO.  Either way, you shouldn't be making payments and paying interest while your vehicle is at their shop.  The value is steadily dropping and you can't even use it.

When you can’t get parts you can’t get parts. Just in time inventory is a killer for this they only make a limited amount of harnesses for applications like this. These aren’t normal times by any means.

And the dealer probably doesn’t have the ability to have one pulled off the assembly line. At my work we do have that ability for certain machines (large mining) but not the smaller stuff.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2021, 12:54:33 PM »
That's my thought,, have they quit building these things?

We've got lots all over town (Louisville) full of brand new Escapes and F series pickups awaiting parts
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes