Author Topic: Ford dealer customer service fail  (Read 1962 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Ford dealer customer service fail
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2021, 12:59:46 PM »
That's my thought,, have they quit building these things? If not there is probably a box of them sitting on the assembly line just waiting for a new build to come by to install it. Even if they are building 22s it is probably the same harness.

bob

Regolith's link hit on that. The parts they have go into new vehicles instead of being sent to dealer parts departments, because the cash is in the new cars, not the parts. So if that's accurate, it's really corporate Ford's fault, at least for OEM parts. I have no idea how aftermarket parts distribution works.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2021, 06:00:52 PM »
We've got lots all over town (Louisville) full of brand new Escapes and F series pickups awaiting parts
I haven't been up I71 for a couple of weeks so I haven't seen if the Kentucky Raceway lots are still packed with Ford trucks recently.

Apparently they do drive though because every once in a while I'd come across a convoy of 5-10 new trucks getting on at the 57 southbound heading for Louisville and presumably the Ford plant. I couldn't confirm their exiting for the plant since they'd quickly leave me in the dust.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2021, 06:07:06 PM »
We've got lots all over town (Louisville) full of brand new Escapes and F series pickups awaiting parts

I am anxiously awaiting the Super Duty (F350 DRW) deluge out to the dealers so I can go truck shopping. Right now used ones are priced more than when they were new, as many of us know. With new one hitting the market maybe the price of used ones will normalize.

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2021, 06:24:22 PM »
I am anxiously awaiting the Super Duty (F350 DRW) deluge out to the dealers so I can go truck shopping. Right now used ones are priced more than when they were new, as many of us know. With new one hitting the market maybe the price of used ones will normalize.

bob

I'm watching a 2004 F-250 at a Ford dealer in central Texas.  Hope it's still there when I fly down next week.  Standard cab, long box, 4WD, small V8, 3.73 axle ratio -- just what I'm looking for in a Chevy or GMC 1500.  Ford or Dodge is close enough.  3/4 ton is a plus even tho' I don't need it very often.

(I'm not flying down just for the truck, but I did buy a one-way ticket)
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2021, 10:09:23 PM »
Finally got our Explorer back this afternoon.
25 days from dropping it off at the dealership.
Got home and the Ford Pass App notifies me of a fault in the blind spot/cross traffic alert system. :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2021, 07:10:18 PM »
I'm watching a 2004 F-250 at a Ford dealer in central Texas.  Hope it's still there when I fly down next week.  Standard cab, long box, 4WD, small V8, 3.73 axle ratio -- just what I'm looking for in a Chevy or GMC 1500.  Ford or Dodge is close enough.  3/4 ton is a plus even tho' I don't need it very often.

(I'm not flying down just for the truck, but I did buy a one-way ticket)

I'm 99.5% sure Ford only used the 5.4 V8 in that gen 250.  The big engine was a V10.

The truck 5.4's aren't horrible, but they aren't great. There's a TSB on the spark plugs threads, and if you (or the previous owner) wasn't careful about following the change process they are known for throwing the plugs out of the head.

04 was also the first year of the 3v 5.4 Triton, and they had recurring issues with the cam phasers until like the 06 model year.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2021, 07:34:18 PM »
I'm 99.5% sure Ford only used the 5.4 V8 in that gen 250.  The big engine was a V10.

The truck 5.4's aren't horrible, but they aren't great. There's a TSB on the spark plugs threads, and if you (or the previous owner) wasn't careful about following the change process they are known for throwing the plugs out of the head.

04 was also the first year of the 3v 5.4 Triton, and they had recurring issues with the cam phasers until like the 06 model year.
Those triton V8 and V10 all had spark plug/coil pack issues as well as exhaust manifold bolts either rusting off or breaking heads off.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2021, 11:31:28 PM »
The truck sold the day before I got here.  I'm back to looking; I've seen a few prospects w/o 4WD, but not even many of those.  This is Texas, dammit, there ought to be lots of used trucks available.   :mad:  I think folks with standard cab long box pickups just don't sell them, they drive them until nothing is left.  I have seen a few 2019 and 2020 models selling for more than a new 2021 special-order "work truck" would cost.  Don't know what's up with that.  Maybe the wait time for new special order trucks is more over a year because of the chip shortage, so anything actually on the lot sells for a premium.

I did a VIN lookup on that Ford F250 and it had the 2-valve version of the 5.4L V8.  From what I can tell, most of the expensive problems came with the 3-valve version with variable valve timing.  Those were put in F-250s starting in 2005; this was a 2004.  I don't know if the 2-valve engines had trouble with broken sparkplugs or not, what I've read implies that was a 3-valve problem but never comes out and states it as fact.
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2021, 02:17:22 AM »
I seem to recall it was a 3v issue.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2021, 02:39:13 AM »
Ford bodies run forever. Chevy engines run forever.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2021, 06:51:46 AM »
Friends of mine last week had the differential go south on their 1997 Chevy Silverado pickup (I think that was the model).

They're in Iowa. Had 284,000 miles on the meter. My fried was bummed, he was "this truck is a part of the family, some great memories..."

They decided to make new memories and found a really nicely tricked out V6 Toyota Tundra with decent miles at a dealership where they've bought a lot of cars over the years.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2021, 11:09:18 AM »
Friend of mine who works at one of the Ford plants here just posted on another forum that it appears the chip shortage is over for them at least. Said they were just notified of overtime starting next week through the rest of the year with tentative Saturdays
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2021, 03:06:17 PM »
Friend of mine who works at one of the Ford plants here just posted on another forum that it appears the chip shortage is over for them at least. Said they were just notified of overtime starting next week through the rest of the year with tentative Saturdays

That makes me happy, maybe there will be some decent prices in the next few months.

bob

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2021, 05:56:44 PM »

I’m hoping this is an industry thing. We ordered a new Grand Cherokee 5 weeks ago now, and as of yesterday the salesman has no updates. We were told 8-12 weeks when we ordered it; but wouldn’t you know it, the next day the GC production line shut down for a week. Their first shut down since the shortage started. This is my first time ordering a car instead of buying off of the lot; I’m not really enjoying the delayed gratification thing. To make it worse there are 5 Trailhawks within 40 miles of us that are exactly what we ordered with the exception of the engine. Closest one with a hemi is about 400 miles away.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2021, 10:11:08 PM »
And... I got the text today that the Jeep is now being built, so maybe the supply of chips is loosening up. Now i just need to find out how long they usually take to build. We’re heading to SC for 3 weeks on the 5th, so I’m guessing that I’ll have to wait until we get back to pick it up.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2021, 09:35:24 PM »
UPDATE!

The salesman from the Ford dealership called me yesterday.
They have submitted and received approval from Ford to compensate me for my troubles. An amount equal to one months car payment.
He said as soon as they get the voucher from Ford they would cut me a check and drop it in the mail
When (if?) I get it I'll post again.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 10:14:36 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2021, 09:59:30 PM »
But do you have your vehicle?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2021, 10:13:57 PM »
As noted in reply #29 We got it back on 8/3 after 25 days in their shop.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2021, 07:28:57 PM »
Final update on this saga.

The Dealership has redeemed themselves to some extent
We received a Check from the Dealership equal to one months car payment.
Better than a sharp stick in the eye or a kick to the 'nads but I'd have rather not have had the problem or the flusterlcuck in getting it fixed.

And now after 6 weeks in our possession we've had no further problems but my wife still hasn't figured out how to make the radio stuff work for her. She gets mad at me when I sit down and tap-tap-tap and it does what I want it to do.
 =D

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2021, 07:35:58 PM »
She gets mad at me when I sit down and tap-tap-tap and it does what I want it to do.
 =D

We're married to the same woman, I see.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB