Author Topic: Harris County district judges held just 113 trials during pandemic  (Read 469 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/13-investigates-harris-county-district-judges-held-just-113-trials-during-pandemic-despite-backlog/ar-AAMswtE
I heard about this story today and thought it highlights what is happening in Houston.  With the pandemic on top of bail reform, crime in Houston will get worse. 
I figure this is with prosecutors probably plea bargaining every case they can.
A 13 Investigates analysis of court cases found that despite 90,257 backlogged cases, the 22 district judges elected to oversee the most serious criminal cases have only held 113 trials since last July, when the Supreme Court of Texas allowed judges to resume court during the pandemic.

For the highlighted case:
The judge overseeing the trial for Spivey's accused killer has held just one case over the last year.

With a 36% increase in homicides this year, the court's delays have gotten the attention of city leaders, who are pushing judges to go to trial quicker.

Of the 90,000 cases awaiting trial, 958 are for alleged murders. Since the pandemic began, our investigation found it takes an average of three years and 11 months after an alleged murder before a case goes to trial.

Judging by the numbers, this backlog started before the pandemic restrictions.  Harris County went all Democrat in 2018.  All the judges, DA, and County Judge. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Harris County district judges held just 113 trials during pandemic
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 05:10:57 PM »
That one judge's supercilious attitude left me wanting to just smack him.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 05:22:38 PM »
I'm sure though, that if you decided to defend yourself against the predations of one of their noble constituents they'd find time to put you on trial.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 05:25:49 PM »
Bet it didn't impact their pay one bit
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 07:45:52 PM »
Bet it didn't impact their pay one bit

Therein lies the problem.

They should have been laid off and forced to live on unemplyoment until they started holding trials again.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 09:08:17 PM »
Trying to give the St. Louis prosecutor a run for the money.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 11:35:17 PM »
Heh... A guy I know put together the "minor stuff" system for STL City (hey, 319,000, and it is a small town...). It is a zoom call, with automated payment system for fines - and it is actually working.
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 11:56:35 AM »
Therein lies the problem.

They should have been laid off and forced to live on unemplyoment until they started holding trials again.
I believe they are elected.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 11:57:08 AM »
I'm sure though, that if you decided to defend yourself against the predations of one of their noble constituents they'd find time to put you on trial.
They would just deny you bail so you can sit and wait for your trial until they get around to it.