Author Topic: Tie down your load  (Read 750 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Tie down your load
« on: July 26, 2021, 03:35:40 PM »
Earlier this month I bought a used air compressor (US made 4.5HP Campbell Hausfeld Professional with a 26 gallon tank) from a local company that was going out of business.  I went and picked it up and put it in the back of my Explorer.  It seemed pretty stable and I had a storage bin against it to try to keep it from shifting.  Should be fine for a quick trip back to my office.

I made one turn out of the parking lot and the top-heavy compressor flopped over and punched a hole in the rear quarter panel glass on the passenger side.

Man, I felt like an idiot.  I stopped, tied it down, then continued on to the office.  I had some gaffer tape and taped up the broken window temporarily. 

I haven't had much free time lately, so I thought I'd see what my options were.  One of those mobile automotive glass repair joints quoted me a little under $500 (right about the glass deductible for my insurance).  A local body shop/gunsmith quoted me $1,000.  Well then.  It turns out I've got enough free time to save that kind of money.  I bought used rear glass off of eBay and a roll of Window Weld.  A quick swap (with more time spent cleaning off the old adhesive than actually swapping parts) and it's been working nicely since with no leaks.  Total price $100. 

The 3m Window Weld is pretty good stuff.  Very easy to get a good seal, and since it is in roll form the bead is consistent and easier for me to position than the tube-applied sealants.  Also, when you butt the ends together it mashes together perfectly - can't even see where there was a seam.

I think the compressor was still a pretty good deal, just not as cheap as it should have been if I had tied down my load like I should have.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Tie down your load
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 04:05:56 PM »
I'm absolutely anal about trying down loads, particularly in a pickup or trailer.
Almost 20 years ago a couple I was friends with were killed when a farm tractor came off it's trailer going around a sharp curve on the highway and struck them while they were on their motorcycle. The driver was  cited for an unsecured load and face no other legal consequences.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 05:05:40 PM »
I constantly see crap on the road that's fallen out or off of truck beds around here.  It seems every day I spot a fool tooling down the road with an unsecured load that they will surely lose before they reach their destination.
Poorly secured loads have been a pet peeve of mine for years.  While there is nothing I can do about other folks' stupidity, I make sure  my loads properly tied down.  I've got an industrial sized zip-lock bag behind my seat full of assorted bungie cords and tie down straps, enough to make sure the loads in my truck are secure twice over.
It seems the two major driving competitions around here are seeing who can fail best at securing their loads, and who can run the most red lights at high speed.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 05:24:07 PM »
Just a few years back, I recall seeing a bunch of sheetrock getting loose from a flatbed trailer (I think it had maybe 1 strap?) ...that was quite a mess.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 05:48:55 PM »
I constantly see crap on the road that's fallen out or off of truck beds around here.  It seems every day I spot a fool tooling down the road with an unsecured load that they will surely lose before they reach their destination.
Poorly secured loads have been a pet peeve of mine for years.  While there is nothing I can do about other folks' stupidity, I make sure  my loads properly tied down.  I've got an industrial sized zip-lock bag behind my seat full of assorted bungie cords and tie down straps, enough to make sure the loads in my truck are secure twice over.
It seems the two major driving competitions around here are seeing who can fail best at securing their loads, and who can run the most red lights at high speed.

Learn to tie a "trucker's hitch" knot.  You can almost get the tiedown ropes too tight using that.  (I haven't tied one in a while, I need to make sure I still remember how)
"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 06:05:16 PM »
Learn to tie a "trucker's hitch" knot.  You can almost get the tiedown ropes too tight using that.  (I haven't tied one in a while, I need to make sure I still remember how)

Use a flemish knot for it, not a marlin spike: https://www.animatedknots.com/figure-8-directional-loop-knot
then go through that loop twice: https://youtu.be/VUerD-QvFnc?t=169
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 08:13:06 PM »
I am a stickler for securing. I followed a farm truck last week, pulling a tandem flat bed trailer with a full size dodge pickup on it, no chains, binders, axle straps, no nuthin but but maybe the parking brake? I called sheriffs dept non emergency number on him. They asked if it was an emergency. I said not until it comes off that trailer.
A few years ago I was transporting my loader tractor on a trailer. I always stop and recheck everything after a couple miles. State trooper pulled up and asked if I needed assistance. I told him no, I just always stop and check my chains and binders before pulling on the highway. He thanked me and said he wished everybody else would do the same.
I have a good collection of ratchet straps and chains and binders all sizes. I used to trailer antique cars.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 09:56:31 PM »
Earlier this month I bought a used air compressor (US made 4.5HP Campbell Hausfeld Professional with a 26 gallon tank) from a local company that was going out of business.  I went and picked it up and put it in the back of my Explorer.  It seemed pretty stable and I had a storage bin against it to try to keep it from shifting.  Should be fine for a quick trip back to my office.

I made one turn out of the parking lot and the top-heavy compressor flopped over and punched a hole in the rear quarter panel glass on the passenger side.

Man, I felt like an idiot.  I stopped, tied it down, then continued on to the office.  I had some gaffer tape and taped up the broken window temporarily.

Nearly ditto.  1200W Honda generator.  No tailgate  in truck (had the camper top off).  Put it in front of the bed.

Energetic right turn, sliding noise, crunchity-crunchity noise, bouncity-bouncity generator in rearview mirror.

There were scrapes on the chromed cage, one edge of the cage slightly bent, but it ran fine.

Lucky me?

Son2 was with me and forever after reminds me of that incident every time I do something not quite intelligent.  Like the time on Highway 85 I energetically hurled an apple core out the truck window to get it into the median and the window was closed.  What a mess.  Truck smelled from apple shrapnel for a week.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 10:37:52 PM »
Bought a new rototiller a while back.  Pickup had a camper shell on it, no problem, lowered the handle has far as it would go and lifted it in.

Everything was good until I left the first stop light.  I took off gently, but not gently enough.  'Tiller rolled backwards, punching the handle through the rear glass of the shell.

Took quite a few calls to find someone to replace the glass (with plexiglass), then a 1 1/2 hour drive (one way) and a $200 bill to get it fixed.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 11:33:41 PM »
When I was driving for Mercer, I could routinely haul 3,500 pound loads (3 skids, over 5' high) in the back of the Sprinter. It could get decidedly ass-heavy. Damn near lost it once in  Chicago.

I cringe when I see folks using 1" straps. We had the big honking things. And I've seen what happens when someone uses just straps on really heavy stuff.

Saw a guy towing a car (and passing me at over 62mph) with a rope... Got on the phone to 911, hey, you're gonna have a problem... Oh, and... here it is... I'm at the exit at mile xxx, and the guy towing is about 50 yards off the road, and the towed vehicle is under the bridge...
Blog under construction

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 05:30:13 AM »
People seem to ignore aerodynamic lift when they drive with mattresses, sheet rock, and plywood on their car roofs.

I guess they figure just one tie down to keep it from shifting is OK.

A coworker was killed as a passenger when a ladder slid off a truck at highway speeds and hit the car she was in.  According to the driver (another coworker, who was slightly injured) the truck just kept going.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 05:56:30 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 09:35:12 AM »
Years ago I was driving my Dad's Suburban and was following a truck used by one of the local builders (who was friends with my Dad and used him a lot to do surveying and engineering on his building projects).

They had the tailgate down and a big box of roofing nails worked its way out of the truck and onto the road. I had no chance to avoid them. Lost all 4 tires to multiple punctures, none of the tires were repairable.

The owner of the truck wrote Dad a check for 4 new tires and I guess tore the hides off the clowns in the truck who didn't secure things or close the tailgate.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 12:40:13 PM »
I know someone who picked up a pallet with a 55 gallon drum of oil in a company truck.  Everything was fine until someone hit the brakes in front of them and the drum slid forward, leaned over and punched out the back glass of the cab.  You can control your acceleration, but have zero control over how fast you have to slow down.  I..uh...I mean that guy had to fill out his own accident report.   =) 

The Tacoma has little compartments in the side of the bed.  Mine are full of bungie cords and rope.  I never was good at tying knots, but I could make bad knots work for what I needed.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 03:53:59 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 04:58:00 PM »
When I have to take my Craftsman riding mower in to the shop, I put a 4x4 fence post between the front tires and the front of the p/u bed.  The mower is pushed up to that, the brake put on, and a 2x4 behind the rear tires.  Then I use two 1" ratchet straps, one behind the steering column and the other behind the mower to keep it from sliding backwards (unless I am hit).  If the truck were to be overturned, I don't know if those straps would be enough to keep it in the bed but it will slow it down.
Sometimes, you need a "belt & suspenders" approach to things.
  :old:  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 06:06:08 PM »
My family calls me The Rope Master.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2021, 07:07:39 PM »
My family calls me The Rope Master.
That is both kinky and disturbing.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 01:29:21 AM »
1" straps are basically toys when considering mayhem. I've see cars strapped down with them tho...

Get at least one set of the 2" things.
Blog under construction