Author Topic: No Gaming PC for you!  (Read 833 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
No Gaming PC for you!
« on: July 26, 2021, 06:27:00 PM »
Apparently you can't buy certain computers in certain states now because of power consumption regulations in those states.
The article talks about Dell but this effects any PC that violate the regs.

Dell is no longer shipping energy-hungry gaming PCs to certain states in America because they demand more energy than local standards allow.

Customers seeking to purchase, for example, an Alienware Aurora Ryzen Edition R10 Gaming Desktop from Dell's website and have it shipped to California are now presented with a message that tells buyers they're out of luck.

"This product cannot be shipped to the states of California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont or Washington due to power consumption regulations adopted by those states," the website says. "Any orders placed that are bound for those states will be canceled."

Dell won't ship energy-hungry PCs to California and five other US states due to power regulations
https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/26/dell_energy_pcs/

Gaming PC's BANNED By Woke States!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxUMqJmh1pc
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
Re: No Gaming PC for you!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 06:31:45 PM »
I bet they can buy the parts to make their own ghost PC.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 06:36:48 PM »
All you need is a friend in an unblocked state.

It's not like firearms, the feds are not likely to care if your friend receives the package and then sends it on to you. 

And states don't have the right to go through your mail so they'll never know.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 06:40:06 PM »
Larping CoD requires no electricity. Doesn’t even require airsoft if you’re tough enough. Don’t tell them the respawn won’t work.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 07:06:52 PM »
What about the electronics show loophole?  Anyone can buy graphics cards with no recourse.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 07:20:03 PM »
So back to the abacus?

Such concern about energy efficiency appears to be appropriate given the findings of a 2015 Semiconductor Industry Association report [PDF] that, given a benchmark system of 10-14 Joules/per bit transition, "computing will not be sustainable by 2040, when the energy required for computing will exceed the estimated world’s energy production."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 07:23:34 PM »

Such concern about energy efficiency appears to be appropriate given the findings of a 2015 Semiconductor Industry Association report [PDF] that, given a benchmark system of 10-14 Joules/per bit transition, "computing will not be sustainable by 2040, when the energy required for computing will exceed the estimated world’s energy production."

So back to the abacus?

Wake me when one of the left's doom and gloom predictions, aka We're all going to die unless we do x, actually happens.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 08:54:32 PM »
 :facepalm:

Makes me glad I bought an 800 watt power supply two years ago. Hopefully it will last me long enough to get out of this state.   =|
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 08:58:38 PM »
Everything will be banned for the environment.  You will own nothing, eat insect protein, die early, and like it.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 09:00:07 PM »
I have a pre-ban gaming PC with several high-capacity hard drives.  Does this mean I'm about to get jackbooted?
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 09:00:30 PM »
Everything will be banned for the environment.  You will own nothing, eat insect protein, die early, and like it.

You forgot "live in pods"
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 09:02:53 PM »
I have a pre-ban gaming PC with several high-capacity hard drives.  Does this mean I'm about to get jackbooted?

10gb HDD limit
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 09:10:45 PM »

Remember Soylent Green is set in 2022.  [tinfoil]
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2021, 09:03:10 AM »
Haven't kept up with the latest and greatest gaming hardware lately but watching some videos on the gaming PC matter some of the newer high end video cards suck up 500 or more watts at full throttle. That's just the video cards.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2021, 10:05:37 AM »
It's not the PC in-use power, it's mostly a standby or hibernate power issue with a smattering of capacity-weighted incidentals in the mix. I'm posting from my phone and don't have time to dig for the link, but go to the JayzTwoCents youtube channel. A week or so back he posted a really good breakdown of what's affected and how the scoring matrix works.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 11:18:57 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2021, 10:12:52 AM »
Last month Californians could plug in their electric cars.

Now they can't plug in their computers.

And soon they won't even be able to buy bacon to assuage their sorrows.

Why in the hell does anyone want to live in that *expletive deleted*ed up state?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2021, 10:25:57 AM »
It's the the PC in-use power, it's mostly a standby or hibernate power issue with a smattering of capacity-weighted incidentals in the mix. I'm posting from my phone and don't have time to dig for the link, but go to the JayzTwoCents youtube channel. A week or so back he posted a really good breakdown of what's affected and how the scoring matrix works.

Brad

I try to watch his videos from time to time but he gets stuck in the super high end gaming end of the pool too often for my tastes. Things along the lines of, with this $2,000 video card I get 200 FPS while I only get 190 totally unplayable fps with this $500 one.  He doesn't always do it but he does it enough where it gets on my nerves. Makes it appear he's pushing high end equipment for $$$.
- Calvin and Hobbes