Author Topic: Jodie Whittaker quits Dr. Who  (Read 775 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Jodie Whittaker quits Dr. Who
« on: July 29, 2021, 05:24:24 PM »
It wasn't so much her that did the damage rather it was destroying the show narrative's that had been build up over 50+ year and replacing it with a totally woke one combined with god awful writing and characters pretty much did it more than anything else.

WHO'S NEXT? Doctor Who’s Jodie Whittaker dramatically quits the BBC1 show after three series
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/15725915/doctor-who-jodie-whittaker-quit-bbc-show/

And it looks like they haven't learn a darn thing about the wokeness

WHO'S NEXT? Doctor Who bosses want Jodie Whittaker’s replacement to be actor of colour for first time in iconic role
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/15730046/doctor-who-actor-of-colour-replace-jodie-whittaker/

Epic Fail! Dr Who Lead Jodie Whittaker QUITS After Legendary Poor Ratings!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDcwBfr-MuY
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 05:56:05 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Jodie Whittaker quits Dr. Who
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 05:55:23 PM »
It wasn't so much her that did the damage rather it was destroying the show narrative's that had been build up over 50+ year and replacing it with a totally woke one combined with god awful writing and characters pretty much did it more than anything else.

WHO'S NEXT? Doctor Who’s Jodie Whittaker dramatically quits the BBC1 show after three series

WHO'S NEXT? Doctor Who bosses want Jodie Whittaker’s replacement to be actor of colour for first time in iconic role
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/15730046/doctor-who-actor-of-colour-replace-jodie-whittaker/

Casting a woman as The Doctor was a mistake IMHO, but not necessarily a huge one and Whittaker played the part just fine.  The writing was terrible, and the show may not recover.

Retconning The Doctor into an immortal was also a terrible idea.  It gets around the number of regenerations thing, but it means his (her) life is never really in danger and thus ruins the plots.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 05:56:22 PM »
Yeah, she seem to try her best but was handed a bucket of *expletive deleted*it and told to make cake with it.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 05:59:35 PM »
Who? I haven't watched in years.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 06:01:32 PM »
Who? I haven't watched in years.

You didn't miss anything
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 08:30:54 PM »

So it isn't the Christian-ness that's made religious movies so ill-received in the past few decades. It's the ham-fistedly pushing a moral or religious lesson, and forgetting the artistry and verisimilitude.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 08:37:56 PM »
They probably could have succeeded with a female Dr if they had good writing and hadn't gone full woketard.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 09:59:01 PM »
They probably could have succeeded with a female Dr if they had good writing and hadn't gone full woketard.

They already proved it was possible by casting Michelle Gomez as The Master (a.k.a. "Missy".)  She did a great job and her writing was good.  That should have been enough.  Just because something is possible doesn't mean you should do it. 
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 11:42:59 PM »
So it isn't the Christian-ness that's made religious movies so ill-received in the past few decades. It's the ham-fistedly pushing a moral or religious lesson, and forgetting the artistry and verisimilitude.
I heard that topic come up today, but I didn't think it was a video on that subject.  IMO, people don't always like movies that are made "because people like that subject".  Not always true, but when you add that everyone involved are leftists who don't understand and can't relate to anyone but themselves, they generally screw it up.  I see a lot of people talking about the death of the Hero in Hollywood.  IMO, it is entirely because of that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 06:50:09 AM »
I don't give a *expletive deleted*it what anyone says... I thought she did an excellent job. The whole "woke narrative" of the show is bullshit for a show that has never stated that there are any limitations on the Dr's regeneration (such as 'once a white guy, always a white guy').

I have said it before and I'll say it again -- Idris Elba would be a *expletive deleted*ing AWESOME Dr. Who.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 06:54:23 AM »
*expletive deleted*it. Chris Chibnall is also leaving.

That may very well kill the show.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 09:07:25 AM »
I don't give a *expletive deleted*it what anyone says... I thought she did an excellent job. The whole "woke narrative" of the show is bullshit for a show that has never stated that there are any limitations on the Dr's regeneration (such as 'once a white guy, always a white guy').

I have said it before and I'll say it again -- Idris Elba would be a *expletive deleted*ing AWESOME Dr. Who.
On that last, most of the critics I heard said they would have no or little issue with someone like Elba and think it would be a better way to go.  Another name I heard was Richard Brooks who played the mercenary who was trying to kidnap River Tam off the ship in that one Firefly episode.  I have no idea what Brooks has done since, but it sounded interesting.

I haven't watched Dr. Who in a long time.  Some of the people I watch on YouTube talk about it a lot sometimes.  I think most agree that the writing and such are the biggest problem. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 09:18:54 AM »
I agree but they would have to get rid of the built up narrative trashing and the extreme in your face you're the problem unless your a female and a POC wokeness, AND get writers that can actually write with an understanding of what makes for good story telling and sci-fi. Unfortunately I don't think they're gotten the message and will stay on the current course no matter who takes over the role. I could be wrong though with Chibnall leaving as well since from what I've read he was 99% of the problem.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 09:34:34 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 10:04:32 AM »
The only problem with Richard Brooks is that he's an American. I think for a show like Dr. Who, which is a British cultural touchstone, there might be a LOT of kickback.

Otherwise, Brooks is an excellent actor. His time on Law and Order as Paul Robinette was one of the highlights of the early years of that show.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2021, 10:47:28 AM »
I agree but they would have to get rid of the built up narrative trashing and the extreme in your face you're the problem unless your a female and a POC wokeness, AND get writers that can actually write with an understanding of what makes for good story telling and sci-fi. Unfortunately I don't think they're gotten the message and will stay on the current course no matter who takes over the role. I could be wrong though with Chibnall leaving as well since from what I've read he was 99% of the problem.
I have heard it said the BBC is still wholly committed to woke politics so I doubt anything will change in the short term.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2021, 11:03:21 AM »
I'm trying to be optimistic but I fear too much of the house has already burned to even consider fixing it in the state it's currently in. Dr. Who for all intends and purposes may very well be dead without a complete and total reboot but we may have to wait 20 years for the stain of the past 5 to wear off enough for that to happen. I could be wrong but continuing it in the state it's in now is beating a dead horse. Doesn't mean the BBC won't try though and if I know the left they'll double down on the wokness.
- Calvin and Hobbes