Author Topic: The Critical Drinker reviews Black Widow  (Read 1041 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
The Critical Drinker reviews Black Widow
« on: July 09, 2021, 11:55:59 AM »
Actually had hope, not high hope mind you based on Marvel's last few films, but still hope for this film. Looks like Marvel, based on this, blew another.

Lots of spoilers and I guess I should give some a language waning

Black Widow - Clumsy, Dumb and Disappointing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c5ynKJxnWI
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
Re: The Critical Drinker reviews Black Widow
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 12:08:39 PM »
He can get pretty critical when he doesn't like a video.

However, I will just assume all Star Wars and Marvel movies are bad.  Disney's priority is politics and woke-ness.  Good writing and entertainment are down the list a bit.  That means the people writing and directing were not selected and promoted for writing and directing skills.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 12:20:54 PM »
That means the people writing and directing were not selected and promoted for writing and directing skills.

Bingo.  End of the CD video highlights exactly this.  We have a nobody director that is nominally feminist, and writers from that awful product that was Wandavision.

I think with the director, they were trying for the Wonder Woman Patty Jenkins thing.  The first WW movie was fantastic and most of Hollywood just saw it as gurl powerz = lots of money.  They didn't grok the main takeaway from that movie, which was that WW was a really damn inspiring hero in the film, and really the only DCEU character that would actually behave the way a classic superhero should.  They went and ruined it with WW84 because even WB didn't know the root cause of their success with the first movie.  And they're no doubt going to blame the failure of WW84 and this Black Widow movie on COVID, or toxic masculinity, or some *expletive deleted*it, rather than the truth of it being bad script and bad character development.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 12:33:56 PM »
Bingo.  End of the CD video highlights exactly this.  We have a nobody director that is nominally feminist, and writers from that awful product that was Wandavision.

I think with the director, they were trying for the Wonder Woman Patty Jenkins thing.  The first WW movie was fantastic and most of Hollywood just saw it as gurl powerz = lots of money.  They didn't grok the main takeaway from that movie, which was that WW was a really damn inspiring hero in the film, and really the only DCEU character that would actually behave the way a classic superhero should.  They went and ruined it with WW84 because even WB didn't know the root cause of their success with the first movie.  And they're no doubt going to blame the failure of WW84 and this Black Widow movie on COVID, or toxic masculinity, or some *expletive deleted*it, rather than the truth of it being bad script and bad character development.

Main thing that bugged me in WW was the double standard on how it was seemingly okay that men are looked down upon and are not even allowed, or at the least seen, on the Amazon's Island (can't remember it's name) but then in the wider world the whole woman in a man's world thing was often ham fistedly bashed over your head. It's okay when women do it because men are bad and all that. Sorry but it's a once you see it you can't unsee it sort of thing. Other than that I enjoyed the film once I was able to ignore that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 04:57:04 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 04:54:44 PM »
And they're no doubt going to blame the failure of WW84 and this Black Widow movie on COVID, or toxic masculinity, or some *expletive deleted*it, rather than the truth of it being bad script and bad character development.

Like this?

- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 10:10:46 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 08:42:07 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLG1O1PSh6g
Black Widow REVIEW! Is Natasha Romanoff Woke?
Mediaholic  (Lauren Chen)   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 09:19:58 AM »
I have to agree with what most reviews I've seen are saying about how this this film should have been released before Infinity War and Endgame. Already knowing what happens to Romanoff in Endgame means a lot of people don't care as much about what happens in BW.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 09:44:27 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 08:30:01 PM »

Scarlett Johansson, star of the latest Marvel movie “Black Widow,” filed a lawsuit Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court against Disney, alleging her contract was breached when the media giant released the film on its Disney+ streaming service at the same time as its theatrical debut.

Ms. Johansson said in the suit that her agreement with Disney’s Marvel Entertainment guaranteed an exclusive theatrical release, and her salary was based in large part on the box-office performance of the film.

“Disney intentionally induced Marvel’s breach of the agreement, without justification, in order to prevent Ms. Johansson from realizing the full benefit of her bargain with Marvel,” the suit said.

As usual follow the money

The suit also notes that annual bonuses for Disney Chairman Robert Iger and Chief Executive Bob Chapek are tied to the performance of Disney+ and cites that as further motivation for putting “Black Widow” on the service. Disney disclosed in its 2021 proxy that Messrs Iger and Chapek both received bonuses for the success of Disney+. “In short, the message to—and from— Disney’s top management was clear: increase Disney+ subscribers, never mind your contractual promises, and you will be rewarded,” the suit said.

Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney Over ‘Black Widow’ Streaming Release
Star alleges simultaneous release of the latest Marvel movie in theaters and on Disney+ service was a breach of contract
https://www.wsj.com/articles/scarlett-johansson-sues-disney-over-black-widow-streaming-release-11627579278
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 08:52:28 AM »
As usual follow the money

Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney Over ‘Black Widow’ Streaming Release
Star alleges simultaneous release of the latest Marvel movie in theaters and on Disney+ service was a breach of contract
https://www.wsj.com/articles/scarlett-johansson-sues-disney-over-black-widow-streaming-release-11627579278

This is, after all, the reason for the court system; to ensure obscene profits are split equitably amongst millionaires . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 09:27:45 AM »
I assumed Disney wasn't going to give her a cut of the streaming revenue, just the theater sales. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxv56sM4c0g
Disney did issue a response.  They may have tried to play the COVID card. 
I do agree with him that this might be entertaining over the next couple years.  Unless they settle, it will take some time to get this one done.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 01:40:56 PM »
‘Black Widow’ Scarlett Johansson Lawsuit: Actress’ Agent Slams Disney For “Direct Attack On Her Character” & Leaving Talent Out Of Streaming Profit Equation
https://deadline.com/2021/07/black-widow-scarlett-johansson-lawsuit-disney-responds-1234806667/

This might be fun to watch if they keep going.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 02:35:24 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1sIhWLDBk
I am listening to these guys talk about that among other things. 

This came up:
Emma Stone Reportedly Considering Suing Disney Over Cruella Release
https://screenrant.com/cruella-movie-emma-stone-disney-lawsuit-rumors-updates/

Might be some piling on coming up.  They said Emily Blunt and Dewayne Johnson's names came up.  They suggested Disney may want to immediately and quietly make sure are happy.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 05:20:41 PM »
I'd be interested in reading the contracts.  I would bet my next paycheck that COVID is not mentioned.  I gather that it's now pretty common for the bigger name stars to accept a lower "pay" in exchange for a percentage of the profits from a film.  Problem with the streaming of films...profits aren't for film, they are for the streaming service.  So, those profits fall outside the contractual obligations of the studio, and out of the star's pocket.

This will be fun to watch...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2021, 10:49:08 PM »
Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney For Not Paying Her A Living Wage For California
https://babylonbee.com/news/scarlett-johansson-sues-disney-for-not-paying-her-a-living-wage-for-california

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2021, 10:52:58 PM »
Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney For Not Paying Her A Living Wage For California
https://babylonbee.com/news/scarlett-johansson-sues-disney-for-not-paying-her-a-living-wage-for-california

And California put a Proposition 65 warning on the film
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2021, 12:05:57 AM »
"You men can't handle a strong woman in the title role."

"You haven't met Beatrix Kiddo."
Blog under construction