Author Topic: Biles?  (Read 1257 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Biles?
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2021, 03:56:49 PM »
Back when Shaq was still playing he found out he was not drawing all the fouls he should have because the refs considered that given his strength and power opposing players had a much harder time stopping him.

And it's true, if you watch video of him he could just blast through multiple players trying to grab his arm and prevent the shot. Still though, he was being fouled.

In essence they got to get away with stuff that would have been fouls on anyone else.

That's wrong.

You can't change or interpret the rules differently for different competitors. It's supposed to be a level playing field, right? 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2021, 04:04:39 PM »
Back when Shaq was still playing he found out he was not drawing all the fouls he should have because the refs considered that given his strength and power opposing players had a much harder time stopping him.

And it's true, if you watch video of him he could just blast through multiple players trying to grab his arm and prevent the shot. Still though, he was being fouled.

In essence they got to get away with stuff that would have been fouls on anyone else.

That's wrong.

You can't change or interpret the rules differently for different competitors. It's supposed to be a level playing field, right?
When I was in high school, we had a tall guy on our high school basketball team who was in the 6'-8" range.  Taller than just about anyone in our district of small schools.  He was constantly getting fouled and refs generally wouldn't call them. 

Then again, I don't know if that has anything to do what is what is happening with Biles.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 04:21:24 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2021, 09:40:32 PM »
No controversy and that’s what we kvetch about. I’m kinda outraged we got beaten badly in Archery. Need to find some better rednecks to send.

You mean no controversy that corporate media is telling us to care about. How controversial should this Biles stuff be, anyway? She didn't get caught in flagrante with another competitor's man. She didn't curse out little children that wanted her autograph. She just bowed out of a competition.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2021, 05:26:25 PM »
I'll admit, at first I was calling BS.  The competitor in me yelled "suck it up.  Team needs you."  Then, when I talked to a buddy whose wife coaches gymnastics, I found out that Biles isn't having a mental health issue like depression, she has a lack of confidence tied to vertigo-like issues. Apparently this isn't too uncommon in gymnasts,  but can be dangerous as hell if they can't tell up and down while flipping in the air.  So, not that she needed my forgiveness,  she has it.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark