Author Topic: Biles?  (Read 1222 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Biles?
« on: July 28, 2021, 12:31:52 PM »
So, WTF? Had to find a safe space or something?
Blog under construction

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Biles?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 12:54:42 PM »
With the caveat that I don't know Biles or anything about her mental condition, I am reminded of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qngi1LiNcVk
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 01:01:16 PM »
Found this
While I can understand possible trauma caused by the first part the underlined sounds like a bit of bull to me.

“We are talking about the same girl who was molested by her team doctor throughout her entire childhood and teen years, won the world all-around championship title while passing a kidney stone, put her body through an extra year of training through the pandemic, added so much difficulty to her routines that the judges literally do not know how to properly rate her skills bc they are so ahead of her time,” the statement continues.

Simone Biles shares message about sexual abuse and ‘trauma’ she’s suffered
https://nypost.com/2021/07/28/simone-biles-shares-message-on-larry-nassar-abuse-after-opting-out-of-olympics/
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:07:14 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 01:55:43 PM »
Not that I know anything about her personal trials and tribulations as soon as she stepped away I told my wife it would be spun as a noble gesture on her part so the US Team would be able to go on and medal in Women's Gymnastics knowing if she stayed she would not be able to contribute to the team. What they are leaving out is if she had made this decision before the meet, which she may well have mentally, the US would have quite possibly taken the Gold.

In other Olympic news the US has 4 medals in shooting sports up to now. Gold in Men and Women's Skeet, 10 Meter Air Rifle (Olympic record) and Silver in Team 10 Meter Air Rifle.

bob

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 02:18:49 PM »
Any top level competitor in any discipline that risks their body is entitled to decide whether they compete without judgment from people with no skin in the game. No matter the sport, it is all mental at the top. Everyone has the best equipment, everyone trained, everyone is experienced.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 02:38:59 PM »
If she knew she wasn't going to finish, she should have bailed before. There are alternates for a reason.
Blog under construction

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 04:08:24 PM »
"A man's got to know his limitations."

That applies to everybody.

She owes nobody nothin'.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 04:47:31 PM »
Any top level competitor in any discipline that risks their body is entitled to decide whether they compete without judgment from people with no skin in the game. No matter the sport, it is all mental at the top. Everyone has the best equipment, everyone trained, everyone is experienced.

This.

"A man's got to know his limitations."

That applies to everybody.

She owes nobody nothin'.

And that.  She knows what she can and can't do, and she made a call.  We'll see next week if it gave her enough time to continue competing. 

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 05:46:04 PM »
If she knew she had a physical injury problem, she should have owned up to it prior to the competition.

If she had a mental injury problem... what if Jesse Owens had just quit?

She let her teammates down.

Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 06:14:22 PM »
Bullshit. 

She knew she wouldn't perform at her normal standard and let one of the alternates compete in her place, so the team could still medal. Which they did.

She made the judgment call that the alternate would do better than her on that day. What evidence do you have that she was incorrect in that judgment?

Do you have any indication her team feels let down?  Or is it just internet pontificators?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 06:21:19 PM »
For my part I wasn't knocking her decision to drop out, that's her business and it may have been the best decision for both her and the team, but rather part of the reason(s) given above which appears to me to be B cooked up by someone else.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 07:26:51 PM »

This.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 08:03:27 PM »
https://youtu.be/Jq-usvN216A

I agree with Ben Shapiro’s take.  Backing out of competition due to aerial disorientation is totally understandable.  Makes her neither a hero nor a villain.  It just makes her a human.  Backing out because she just needing to “focus on herself” is a pathetic way to let down her team.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 09:50:50 PM »
The media screwed her.  I don't care about or follow the Olympics, but I know her name from all of the articles singing her praise.  Lot of pressure being their appointed hero.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 09:57:38 PM »
Third olympics, many international competitions, survived Nassar and took him down. Think she has seen mental pressure and knows the limit. We should not deride mental health because at some point we all need a safe space even if we don’t use trendy words about our “trauma.” A lot of the world class race car drivers I have been around retreat into the front of the trailer and you leave them alone. They will get out and wave to the crowd when they survive a bad one. They will get in the backup car and drive it just as hard. But it takes a toll.
AKA Navy Joe   

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2021, 10:52:13 PM »
I have a daughter who has been through a lot less than Simone Biles. My daughter just tried to commit suicide for the seventh time (that I know of).

Cut Biles some slack.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2021, 11:36:30 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33eCt8nR2xw
The Truth About Simone Biles
 Paul Joseph Watson

This is a good example of some of what I am seeing.  I don't know if it is a reaction to Biles or to the media reporting. 

Personally, I don't care.  I am not following the Olympics anyway.  I don't know enough to get upset over any of it.  As said above, she has enough trophies and medals to show what she is made of.  I saw it as she realized she was not at her best and for some reason wasn't going to improve so it was a chance to give the runner up a shot at things.  There might be more to it that will come out eventually, assuming anyone cares in another month. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 01:16:32 AM »
And... Scuttlebutt Rumor Control is saying that there was an issue with the judges wanting to score her differently from the other gymnasts, because they thought that what she was doing was dangerous for the others to attempt...

And... Just WHUT is this half-court basketball thing?
Blog under construction

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 10:38:26 AM »

I completely agree with this...all of this.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 10:40:12 AM »
This is a pretty good synopsis of what I've seen on Biles and the IOC scoring issue. I was seeing this before her stepping down lit up the webwaves.
I don't blame her to much for maybe not being on top of her mental game after this crap.

What if the NFL told Tom Brady his touchdown passes will only be 4 points because he was too good? Or the NBA gave MJ 1 point instead of 2 because he scores much better than the other players? There would be outrage on ESPN, boycotts , death threats against David Stern, etc.
But when the Olympics imposed this on Simone Biles… *crickets…* DEAL WITH IT and compete. No petitions, withdrawals from the US Olympics Committee.
So, after practicing your routine for years, you must mentally and physically alter your performance to be appropriately scored to keep everything “fair”. And when you realize you don’t align with their “standards” you make the hard decision to not hurt your teammates score (who, btw, showed out yesterday!!) or risk your health in a sport where 1 bad slip can mean paralysis.
You’re labeled egotistical, overrated and most of all a “quitter” because you won’t conform.
In all honesty, the IOC quit on Simone. Not the other way around.

She may arguably be the best female gymnast to date but she has essentially been "marked down" for being too good.

https://www.esquire.com/sports/a36530138/simone-biles-summer-olympics-yurchenko-double-pike-explained/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2021, 10:53:22 AM »
Sounds like the olympic committee has never read Harrison Bergeron . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 11:01:55 AM »
Sounds like the olympic committee has never read Harrison Bergeron . . . .

Seems to me that the libtards revel in the most dystopian of stories and then use them as a "how-to" guide.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 12:58:29 PM »
Not the first time crap like this has happened in the Olympics.

Surya Bonaly was probably the most dynamic and energetic figure skater of her generation. She was the first to land a back flip... a *expletive deleted*ing back flip, during competition.

She was also the first to land a back flip on ONE blade. One *expletive deleted*ing blade.

And she made it look effortless.

For all of her power on the ice, judges essentially did the same thing to her as they're doing to Biles.

In her last Olympics Bonaly extended a HUGE middle finger to the IOC and its figure skating governing body when she absolutely nailed a backflip and then finished her routine by turning her back to the judges.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2021, 02:40:21 PM »
She's what, a gymnast, right?

[checks DuckDuckGo]

A sport no one follows.

I haven't seen this much discussion of any single competitive shooter on this board. What gives?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2021, 02:50:54 PM »
She's what, a gymnast, right?

[checks DuckDuckGo]

A sport no one follows.

I haven't seen this much discussion of any single competitive shooter on this board. What gives?

No controversy and that’s what we kvetch about. I’m kinda outraged we got beaten badly in Archery. Need to find some better rednecks to send.
AKA Navy Joe