Main Forums > The Roundtable

Bonhomme Richard ship fire was arson

(1/8) > >>

MillCreek:
https://www.npr.org/2021/07/29/1022514854/sailor-charged-arson-uss-bonhomme-richard-navy-san-diego?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr

A sailor is under charges.

French G.:
Thought we already knew this, but I guess I am remembering when the same person was held and questioned last year. Not uncommon for this to happen, been on ships with the disgruntled fire starter. The military has a death penalty for a reason. Here’s a great place to use it.

K Frame:
I'm not particularly up on military death penalty law, but I can't think of a situation where arson, without deaths involved, would rise to the status of a capital charge.

French G.:

--- Quote from: K Frame on July 30, 2021, 06:59:46 AM ---I'm not particularly up on military death penalty law, but I can't think of a situation where arson, without deaths involved, would rise to the status of a capital charge.

--- End quote ---

I know it doesn’t but it should. We would kill hundreds of terrorists and most of the sailors in the process of Abu bin Goatlove swam up to the pier one night to set the ship on fire. This action was deliberate and has national security implications for years to come. I also would have been authorized to use deadly force on a sailor if I as a sentry found one in the act of deliberately firing the ship.

K Frame:
" I also would have been authorized to use deadly force on a sailor if I as a sentry found one in the act of deliberately firing the ship."

Slightly different situation in that use of deadly force to prevent or stop a crime like that is warranted.

As a punishment after the fact when there were no deaths involved? No.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version