Author Topic: What would start the next civil war?  (Read 5565 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: What would start the next civil war?
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2021, 10:03:31 AM »

I cannot imaging what the future holds for the younger generations. It won't be anything we would recognize from our youth.

Assimilation, most likely. Ever since my niece passed away, I don't get to see my grandniece more than once a year. With that kind of a buffer, every time I see her and we talk about stuff (she is 8 now), it saddens me what she thinks is normal, and what things are "bad" based on what she learns in school, and I'm not talking about the three Rs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2021, 01:33:05 PM »

Hopefully, they leave us older folks alone, to just fade away.
I'm just not seeing widespread hatred that can coalesce into open war.

They won't, because they LIKE to hurt people. It is the reason for their being.  I can't recall the exact quote, it was C.S.Lewis, IIRC,  but here is the essence-   
 for those who desire power, it is always necessary to FORCE people to do as demanded, because a reasonable and eloquent argument might lead to voluntary compliance, and voluntary compliance does not satiate power- the only way to know if one has REAL power is the ability to FORCE another to obey, against their free will.   
So you will see hatred.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2021, 03:19:16 PM »

I'm just not seeing widespread hatred that can coalesce into open war. I see a defeated, exhausted and somewhat satiated people who don't share many if any cultural touchstones.

It's not a bad thing that there won't be open warfare. 

This is just my most recent reevaluation of our situation.

I disagree.  I see real Tribalism coalescing.  People are splitting into their little groups of "us" and blame "them".  You can see the fractures in the main parties between the new cliques and the old guard.  Even if we remain a "two party" system I think that the reality will start to edge more towards the coalition governments we see in places with 30 or more micro parties.

On the social side, I see people pulling back on interacting outside their comfort zones.  It's easier to blame "them" if yo never talk to them.  The AntiFa/BLM riots, and the armed groups they met when they left their little enclaves, are the start of this.  Eventually someone will get froggy and two armed civilian groups will fight it out.  Or Folks will get fed up with MS-13 or an analogue and take care of business. 

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2021, 03:33:22 PM »
White conservatives are often described today in similar language that Jews were in 1930s Germany and it seems to be getting worse by the day. It remains to be seen if WC are willing to do what is needed, such as actually getting off their asses and voting and getting politically active in other ways, to put a stop to it before it's too late otherwise push could come to shove.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

JN01

• friend
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2021, 04:23:12 PM »

I'm just not seeing widespread hatred that can coalesce into open war. I see a defeated, exhausted and somewhat satiated people who don't share many if any cultural touchstones.

It's not a bad thing that there won't be open warfare. 

I don't know, seems to me the all consuming hate of the BLM/Antifa types is spreading through the ranks of the other leftists. I can see them cranking it up a few notches and starting to take out more of the white devils, whether they fight back or not.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2021, 06:55:17 PM »
They won't, because they LIKE to hurt people. It is the reason for their being.  I can't recall the exact quote, it was C.S.Lewis, IIRC,  but here is the essence-   
 for those who desire power, it is always necessary to FORCE people to do as demanded, because a reasonable and eloquent argument might lead to voluntary compliance, and voluntary compliance does not satiate power- the only way to know if one has REAL power is the ability to FORCE another to obey, against their free will.   
So you will see hatred.

Yes, it was Lewis.  Here it is:
“Of all the tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their consciences.”
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2021, 07:44:19 PM »
I disagree.  I see real Tribalism coalescing.  People are splitting into their little groups of "us" and blame "them".  You can see the fractures in the main parties between the new cliques and the old guard.  Even if we remain a "two party" system I think that the reality will start to edge more towards the coalition governments we see in places with 30 or more micro parties.

On the social side, I see people pulling back on interacting outside their comfort zones.  It's easier to blame "them" if yo never talk to them.  The AntiFa/BLM riots, and the armed groups they met when they left their little enclaves, are the start of this.  Eventually someone will get froggy and two armed civilian groups will fight it out.  Or Folks will get fed up with MS-13 or an analogue and take care of business.

I can see your scenario playing out, particularly regionally.

What I'm not "feeling" is a full on shooting war between citizens attempting to accomplish political aims.

Frustration, alienation from fellow citizens along with the tribalism I see all that also. Actually I've talked about it so much here in the past I burnt out on the whole tribalism thing. 

I don't need to bring it up now anyway, it's obvious to most now and I don't have any answers, so I rarely bring it up anymore.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2021, 07:51:22 PM »
I think we all agree CWII will be more like Yugoslavian style fall to pieces than CWI's opposing armies.

Of course, depending on the kids, the Khmer Rouge model may be on the table too.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2021, 09:34:44 PM »
I think we all agree CWII will be more like Yugoslavian style fall to pieces than CWI's opposing armies.

Of course, depending on the kids, the Khmer Rouge model may be on the table too.

So long as the intended victims of a Khmer Rouge style regime retain effective weapons there won’t be a “Killing Fields” outcome.  There may be huge loss of life, and depending on how far the Swalwell faction succeeds in going there could be widespread destruction.  But even an American PolPot wouldn’t be able to wipe out that much of the opposition, on a percentage basis.  Certainly not without incurring comparable losses themselves.

Now, if guns are eliminated from 99% of the conservatives, all bets are off.  It’s no secret that’s why the left wants “Mr and Mrs America, turn them all in.”  Thus far we’ve had quite good success at fending that off, and have if anything beaten them back somewhat.   Whether that turns out to be the wrong side of the Battle of the Bulge remains to be seen.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2021, 10:33:46 PM »
From what I'm seeing,  they're going to mandate the vax.  Then it's on.  The massive media campaign to alienate and blame the unvaxinated for all this country's problems?  Nothing happens by chance.  Our best hope is they keep pushing too hard and there is reprisal.  Had they slow walked this,  it may have worked.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2021, 11:42:26 PM »
So long as the intended victims of a Khmer Rouge style regime retain effective weapons there won’t be a “Killing Fields” outcome.  There may be huge loss of life, and depending on how far the Swalwell faction succeeds in going there could be widespread destruction.  But even an American PolPot wouldn’t be able to wipe out that much of the opposition, on a percentage basis.  Certainly not without incurring comparable losses themselves.

Now, if guns are eliminated from 99% of the conservatives, all bets are off.  It’s no secret that’s why the left wants “Mr and Mrs America, turn them all in.”  Thus far we’ve had quite good success at fending that off, and have if anything beaten them back somewhat.   Whether that turns out to be the wrong side of the Battle of the Bulge remains to be seen.

Yep. Don't disagree with any of that.

Still on the table though.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2021, 02:21:12 AM »

And when the would be victims defend themselves from the murderous mob, then the murderous government uses that as an excuse to go after the victims with the regular police and military.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2021, 06:38:40 PM »
My prediction: They move to a "food is a human right," and attempt to force farmers to feed the city dwellers for free. There will be pushback, and then someone will attempt nationalization. At which point, the cities will likely damn near self-destruct, because the rural counties, who are already close to the mentality, will likely blockade...
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2021, 07:15:05 PM »
My prediction: They move to a "food is a human right," and attempt to force farmers to feed the city dwellers for free.

Hey, it worked great in the USSR. What makes you think it wouldn't be a stellar program here?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2021, 07:18:08 PM »
My prediction: They move to a "food is a human right," and attempt to force farmers to feed the city dwellers for free. There will be pushback, and then someone will attempt nationalization. At which point, the cities will likely damn near self-destruct, because the rural counties, who are already close to the mentality, will likely blockade...

Hey, it worked great in the USSR. What makes you think it wouldn't be a stellar program here?

It would work infinitely better here.  The right people would be in charge.   :facepalm:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2021, 07:45:24 PM »
Oh, and... full-vegan... or at least they say so...
Blog under construction

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2021, 10:25:48 AM »
Oh, and... full-vegan... or at least they say so...

That is what Oregon is trying to do.  Someone there wrote a bill that will ban fishing, hunting, and raising livestock if the bill becomes law.  It probably won't this time, but the idea is there.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2021, 12:37:00 PM »
I wouldn't say Oregon is trying to do it.  Just a small group trying to get a ballot initiative done.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2021, 09:30:46 PM »
I live in the Tower Grove neighborhood of St. Louis.

Gentrified, altho about 95% of the population, who voted for Clinton, will deny that.

I wouldn't dare put a Trump sticker on a car. Or a Trump sign in my front yard. I don't want to be vandalized.

And it would be a Good Thing, because they would be showing a Nazi who is boss.

Sigh.

These are the people who put Cori Bush in office. They constantly scream ACAB, FTP and Defund the Police... And they wonder why we have 'bangers driving on the major streets with running gun battles, and jacking cars and shooting up stuff.

They are in full denial as to the consequences of their actions.

But... I suspect they'd cheer as someone threw a molotov through the front window of a "bad person."
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2021, 11:03:53 PM »
Bogie - earlier this year, a friend of mine moved from an apartment in one of those older buildings near the intersection of Klemm & Russell, just north of TGP.  One of the reasons they moved was that several neighbors had "BLM" signs on the front lawns.  One of them in the same building also burgled their apartment and SLPD didn't even take a report.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2021, 07:27:36 AM »
The cops are stretched very thin... Damn little patrolling, pretty much just reacting. And they know that if they do anything, they are just gonna see the perps kicked out of jail, sometimes on the same day. The city prosecutor doesn't bother to send her people to frickin' murder trials - so the defendants walk.

About a month ago, a raving crackhead pulled out of a gas station, clipped my parked car, and totaled her car and an acquaintance's car. The police responded, as did an ambulance. They let her go. They didn't search the car. They just got her daughter's number, and she was picked up. No insurance, of course. "If we take her in, she'll be out by tomorrow, but there will be reams of paperwork." And you gotta be sensitive to the poor accident victim's needs and requests...
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2021, 07:49:03 AM »
Keep in mind that once a group is pushed far enough - "after the first, all the rest are free."

Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2021, 03:22:08 PM »
Keep in mind that once a group is pushed far enough - "after the first, all the rest are free."

And how far will WE be pushed before WE start pushing back?  How soon will people that are being victimized feel they have had enough and won't waste time calling the cops and resolve the situation on their own?

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2021, 08:24:13 PM »
I figure it will happen when people not on welfare are forced to work doing something they would rather not do... Another major lockdown, and truckers are told to deliver or go to jail... something like that...

You'll see the folks on the dole running out of their essentials, and then going after them. Then looting adjacent communities. Then the mobile ones will go after more affluent areas. Who likely will ask their police to fight back. And I'm figuring that a lot of the cops will sit back to try to wait it out.
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2022, 04:51:44 PM »
According to Major Garrett we're 85% of the way there.

CBS News’ Major Garrett says we’re 85 percent close to an American civil war
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/09/19/cbs-news-major-garrett-says-were-85-percent-close-to-an-american-civil-war/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes