Author Topic: Scottish Resturant  (Read 5296 times)

Cool Hand Luke 22:36

Scottish Resturant
« on: March 05, 2005, 06:50:39 PM »
I had an idea for a carry-out resturant that serves Scottish food.

It's a market niche yet to be filled in the US.

What kind of food do the Scots eat?

Is there a market for carry-out haggis & Scotch whiskey in the US?

Discuss...
"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Scottish Resturant
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 07:02:34 PM »
Can't remember names of dishes, but the only Scottish restaurant I've ever been to is in your neck of the woods, so you could always go by there and look at the menu. Smiley

An ex-girllfriend liked going there. It's been a few years, but as I recall, we took the Metro to just past the Pentagon and then walked a few blocks. It was the only Scottish restaurant around there (and probably in all of Virginia Smiley  ). I remember the food being good, though I didn't have the haggis. Tongue
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scottish Resturant
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 01:11:14 AM »
You're talking about either Crystal City or Pentagon City.

I'll try to find it.

There's certainly no shortage of really bad Irish resturants in this area. Great beer, good music, lousy food.
Henry David Thoreau

Iain

• friend
Scottish Resturant
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 01:17:56 AM »
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Wiley

Scottish Resturant
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 01:54:13 AM »

XLMiguel

Scottish Resturant
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 04:06:28 PM »
Ireland's Four Provinces in Falls Church is pretty good.  Not Scotish, but not a bad Irish restraunt.  Sorry, no haggis. cheesy

Waitone

• friend
Scottish Resturant
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 05:28:37 PM »
I was not aware Scots were associated with the culinary arts.  They do a good job on inflating goat skins, weaving wool, blending rocket fuel, and metalurgy.  I have not associated them with polite food.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

BillBlank

• friend
Scottish Resturant
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 11:49:36 PM »
Think offall in gravy. Seems to be a reccuring theme, along with use of barley. Anything deep fried with a fagash garnish. Had good indian takeout in Edinburgh tho'. Smiley
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Scottish Resturant
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 01:56:36 AM »
I recall a statemeny from simmonsguns on THR's RT:
"All scottish food is based on a dare."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Black92LX

Scottish Resturant
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 02:36:33 AM »
Scotch Eggs are absolutly delicious!
But my dreams they aren't as empty
As my conscience seems to be
I have hours, only lonely
My love is vengeance
That's never free

Henry Bowman

• friend
Scottish Resturant
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 04:43:08 AM »
Scottish eggs are great -- especially for breakfast.  (Scotch is a type of whiskey.)  There is a Scottish restauraunt in Cincinnati that is an upscale joint in what passes for our "theatre district."
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
(or just sent guns and money to lawyers.)

Gus Dddysgrl

Scottish Resturant
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 04:46:21 AM »
Not sure, but my bro would know.  Much of it is weird stuff isn't it?  

I know the Irish eat lots of potatoes so do the Scottish eats them too?

Gus
Leigh Ober

grampster

• friend
Scottish Resturant
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 04:41:41 PM »
The food might not be good, but it will be cheap.

That's a joke, son.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Scottish Resturant
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 11:44:46 PM »
Deep-fried Mars bars

I knew the Scots had to have something that would appeal to the American pallete beyond Scotch whiskey.  Cheesy
Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Resturant
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2005, 11:48:36 PM »
Ireland's Four Provinces in Falls Church is pretty good. Not Scotish, but not a bad Irish restraunt. Sorry, no haggis

The 4-P's is a great pub but I have never liked the food there. It's not bad for bar food, IMO, but I don't really consider it an actual resturant despite the big seating area.
Henry David Thoreau

LawDog

• friend
Scottish Resturant
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 01:23:51 PM »
Steak Balmoral:

4 Aberdeen Angus steaks.
4 tablespoons Scotch whisky
Half pint double cream
Quarter pint beef stock
4 oz sliced mushrooms
1 teaspoon coarse grain mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
1 oz butter

Pan fry the steaks and keep warm.
Add the whisky to the pan and carefully set it alight. Add the cream, stock and mushrooms and bring to a boil. Simmer gently until the sauce has reduced by half, stirring from time to time.   Ladle sauce over steaks and serve.

Scotch eggs:

1lb sausage meat
5 hard boiled eggs, with shells removed
1 large raw egg
3oz approx of dry breadcrumbs
Pinch of mace, salt, freshly ground pepper
Small quantity of flour
1 tablespoon water

Dust the hard boiled eggs in a little flour. Mix the mace, salt and pepper with the sausage meat and divide into five equal portions. Place on a floured surface. Wrap/mould the sausage meat round the egg, making sure there are no gaps. Beat the egg and water together and coat the meat-covered egg with this and then breadcrumbs (you may have to press the crumbs onto the meat). Deep fry in hot oil (360F) taking care as you put the eggs into the oil. Cook for about 5/6 minutes. If you don't have a deep fat fryer, they can be cooked in oil in a frying pan, turning frequently to ensure the meat is fully cooked.
Drain and serve hot or allow to cool and keep in a refrigerator for a cold snack later.

Roastit Bubbly-jock:

Large (7 to 8lbs) self-basting turkey
Half cup of milk
1¼ cups of fresh breadcrumbs
1 stalk of finely chopped or grated celery
1 finely chopped or grated onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
Half a cup chopped water chestnuts (tinned variety are fine)
10oz chopped chicken livers
8oz ground sausage meat
2oz melted butter
Teaspoon of Worcester sauce
Pinch of nutmeg
2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons redcurrant jelly or similar

Preheat the oven to 350F.
Mix the milk, breadcrumbs, chopped celery, onions, chestnuts, nutmeg, plus one tablespoon parsley and half of the chicken livers. Then place the sausage mince, teaspoon of parsley and the Worcester sauce in another bowl and mix well. Remove any giblets from the turkey, rinse well (inside and out) and dry off. Press the breadcrumb mixture into the turkey cavity, making sure it is well filled. Seal the end with skewers. Press the mince into the bird via the neck cavity and again seal with skewers (toothpicks sometimes do the trick).
Place the turkey on a baking rack in a deep baking tray. Add the warm water and remaining livers to the tray. Brush the turkey all over with melted butter. Bake the bird, basing the cooking time on 20 minutes per pound of bird, plus another 20 minutes. From time to time, baste the bird with the juices in the pan.
When cooking is complete, remove the tray and the turkey from the oven and allow the bird to stand for about ten minutes. Put the pan juices plus the redcurrant jelly (or similar) into a small pan and heat vigorously for ten minutes, reducing the sauce by half, stirring continuously. Pass the sauce through a fine strainer and serve with the turkey (and your own selection of vegetables).

Prawns in Whiskey Cream:

12 ounces  shelled prawns
generous half cup double cream
2 tablespoons whisky
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 ozs grated cheese
quarter stick of butter
Salt and pepper
Chopped parsley to garnish

Butter six ramekin dishes (moulded baking dishes).
Melt the butter in a pan and fry the chopped onions until soft. Then add the prawns and heat through. Then add the whisky and cook for another two minutes. Stir in the cream, heat, but remove before it reaches boiling point.
Season to taste and pour into the ramekin (moulded baking) dishes. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top and brown under a hot grill.
Serve immediately, garnished with chopped parsley.

Partan Bree:

1 large cooked crab
¼ cup rice
2½ cups milk
2½ cups liquor from boiling the crab
¾ cup single cream
Salt and pepper
Finely chopped chives

Remove all the meat from the crab, keeping the claw meat separate. Cook the rice in a pan with the milk and water until tender. Liquidise this with the brown body meat from the crab. Add the white meat and cream and reheat. Add salt and pepper to taste. If the partan bree is too thick, you can add some more milk if required. Serve garnished with fresh, green, finely chopped chives.

Egg Casserole:

Sprigs from one medium cauliflower
One pound (or less) leeks, cut into thin slices
Half pound brocolli or green beans
¾ cup grated cheese
6 eggs
one and a quarter cups single cream
Salt and pepper to taste
One teaspoon mustard
Butter for casserole dish

Cook the prepared vegetables in salted, boiling water for ten minutes or so. Butter the inside of a large, lidded casserole dish (to reduce sticking) and add the hot vegetables to it with most of the cheeese mixed in. Whisk the eggs lightly with the cream and seasoning and pour over the vegetables. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. Cover the casserole and bake at 300F for 25-30 minutes until the egg custard is set.

Voila!  Scottish recipes.

LawDog

Stickjockey

• friend
Scottish Resturant
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2005, 04:41:33 PM »
And someone mentioned "offal in gravy?" I think not, melad!

You might want to pick up copies of these books:

Smith-Twiddy, Helen. "Celtic Cookbook; Traditional Recipes from Six Celtic Lands" 1998, Hippocrene Books, New York, New York. ISBN 0-7818-0579-1

and

Baxter, Ena. "Ena Baxter's Scottish Cookbook" 1974, Johnston & Bacon Books, Ltd., Stirling, Scotland. ISBN 0 7179 4560 x

I have a local Scottish shop that may carry these books, if you'd like me to take a look.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!