Author Topic: You Snooze, You Lose, Costco Pac-Man Edition  (Read 4626 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
You Snooze, You Lose, Costco Pac-Man Edition
« on: July 30, 2021, 10:07:19 AM »
Dang it. Costco had a Pac-Man Arcade cabinet that they were selling for $400, which is around $200 less than the Amazon price, and put it right on the edge of my, "Should I splurge?" line.

I've looked at it for months, but never pulled the trigger. Then a few days ago I was getting my windshield replaced, and my windshield guy had installed one in his waiting room. What a hoot! Pac-Man and five other classic games that sent me right back to going to the Golf 'N Stuff in High School. My windshield guy said that he had installed it because nobody ever watched the cable TV he had there, instead spending time on their phones. He says the Pac-Man console is in constant use. I could see why.

Yesterday I said "Darn it, I'm getting it now." Alas, all gone. It was there last week, but gone this week. My only hope is that most of the other toys and games were pulled as well and replaced by furniture and home goods, so maybe when Christmas season comes along (in August for Costco), when they bring the toys back, they'll bring the cabinet back. If they do, I'm getting it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: You Snooze, You Lose, Costco Pac-Man Edition
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 10:23:40 AM »
Yep, I'm in the same situation. I waited too long to grab one of the S&W Model 10's that Bud's had. $300 for a cosmetically challenged but functional Model 10.

Crap.

I guess we'll just to have both spend more time spoiling our dogs.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 10:26:46 AM »
One thing I learned a long time ago with both Costco and Sam's is if you see something like that and you want it jump on it. You may never see it again.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 12:30:49 PM »
I guess we'll just to have both spend more time spoiling our dogs.

=)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 12:31:59 PM »
One thing I learned a long time ago with both Costco and Sam's is if you see something like that and you want it jump on it. You may never see it again.
Yeah, had that with a fridge. Went back and the floor model was gone. Asked around and amazingly they had only one in the back but had ceased to display the model.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 09:15:20 AM »
Hopefully this'll help take some of the sting out of it.

https://www.mamedev.org/release.html Pretty much every ROM file for coin-op video games up to the mid 90's can be found online.

And if you're really motivated, $400 would go a long way to a cheap PC, monitor, and a DIY arcade case. They even sell stuff like trackballs, buttons, and arcade quality joysticks online. All interface with MAME over USB.

Feels like "free quarters" when you play.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 09:31:15 AM »
Hopefully this'll help take some of the sting out of it.

https://www.mamedev.org/release.html Pretty much every ROM file for coin-op video games up to the mid 90's can be found online.

And if you're really motivated, $400 would go a long way to a cheap PC, monitor, and a DIY arcade case. They even sell stuff like trackballs, buttons, and arcade quality joysticks online. All interface with MAME over USB.

Feels like "free quarters" when you play.

Thanks. Not sure I'd have time to build an arcade case. Maybe if it snows a lot this Winter.  :laugh:

Otherwise, I know I can be playing the games on my computer, but there was just something cool about playing them on the same arcade cabinets that I used as a kid.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 05:45:53 PM »
Thanks. Not sure I'd have time to build an arcade case. Maybe if it snows a lot this Winter.  :laugh:

Otherwise, I know I can be playing the games on my computer, but there was just something cool about playing them on the same arcade cabinets that I used as a kid.

You end up wanting to mess with emulators, I've got everything for NES, SNES, Genesis, Atari and the like of that gen for retro pi.  Say the word and I'll mail a usb drive. 

I like the form factor of the pi-cart,  but you could just as easily build a cabinet.  Mostly a choice of form factor.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 06:50:16 PM »
If you wait till Christmas home arcade consoles come on the shelf at places like Walmart and Target for decent prices.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2021, 01:19:43 PM »
Ha!  I guess it was just temporarily unavailable. I was at Costco today, and they had half a dozen boxes in the display, and a employee said more were in the back. I'm going back tomorrow with my truck to get one.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 03:14:22 PM »
Ha!  I guess it was just temporarily unavailable. I was at Costco today, and they had half a dozen boxes in the display, and a employee said more were in the back. I'm going back tomorrow with my truck to get one.

And this is the 16th.  Bingeing, are ya?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 03:35:42 PM »
And this is the 16th.  Bingeing, are ya?

It got here on the 13th, but it's still on its way up the stairs to my bonus room.  :rofl:

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 03:59:53 PM »
Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2021, 11:16:10 PM »
It got here on the 13th, but it's still on its way up the stairs to my bonus room.  :rofl:

Tell Steve to get to pushin'!!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2021, 07:08:10 PM »
From the sitcom Taxi, Jim discovers Pac Man

https://youtu.be/iVppS1rsbxo
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 09:24:05 PM by Big Hairy Bee »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2021, 07:26:56 PM »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2021, 09:13:46 PM »
Okay, I didn't realize that had Galaga.  I might have to get it now.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2021, 09:24:37 PM »
Does Costco still have it?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2021, 09:49:41 PM »
Does Costco still have it?

It appears to be regional. It's not on the Costco website, but my store had, as per an employee there, a good amount, at least on the 13th. At $360, it's way cheaper than the similar one on Amazon, at $550 (though Ms Pacman on Amazon is $360  :laugh: ).

Amazon does seem to have pretty much the same one, but as a countertop instead of full cabinet for I think $250.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2021, 09:56:16 PM »
I will have to ask my parents when they are heading to Costco next.  They are members, not me.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2021, 07:40:03 AM »
Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka Wakka

I have no idea why... but that made me absolutely bust out laughing...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2021, 07:49:56 AM »
If they had Gorf I'd join Costco just to buy it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2021, 07:59:18 AM »
Xevious for me
- Calvin and Hobbes