Author Topic: You Snooze, You Lose, Costco Pac-Man Edition  (Read 4621 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: You Snooze, You Lose, Costco Pac-Man Edition
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2021, 10:04:30 AM »
Even better, one of those motorized desks that moves up and down. I don't think my standing height counter (I'm 5-9) would be the same as yours, Lerch.  :rofl:

:laugh: :laugh:

That's actually a great idea though!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2021, 11:13:13 AM »
They got us the motorized desks at work a couple years ago.  They are great.  It is nice to be able to stand up for a bit at times during the day. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2021, 12:08:41 PM »
Was just looking at some of the parts and pieces that they have available. They have printed circuit boards that can be swapped out with the units to give you more games...

But... none of them. Absolutely none of them, are in stock. I'm wondering if it's COVID chip supply problems or if there's something else going on with the company.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2021, 12:13:19 PM »
Oh man... that BMI Gaming console has a BUNCH of the games that I want...

But it's also $3,000....

Nope.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2021, 12:21:47 PM »
Was just looking at some of the parts and pieces that they have available. They have printed circuit boards that can be swapped out with the units to give you more games...

But... none of them. Absolutely none of them, are in stock. I'm wondering if it's COVID chip supply problems or if there's something else going on with the company.

Do they allow back orders? Units could be built on a per-order basis
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2021, 02:25:25 PM »
Not from what I could see.

Everyone of them had a "Notify Me" button.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2021, 04:41:11 PM »
I don't think my standing height counter (I'm 5-9) would be the same as yours, Lerch.  :rofl:

And it's so hard to find a good, thick phonebook these days.   >:D
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2021, 07:29:02 AM »
And it's so hard to find a good, thick phonebook these days.   >:D

Jamis Jockey took them all with him when he left APS in a snit, or whatever it was, last year.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2021, 10:24:11 PM »
Jamis Jockey took them all with him when he left APS in a snit, or whatever it was, last year.

Missed the snit, somehow, but caught the absence.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2021, 01:16:55 PM »
Shoot. Now I have discovered these on Amazon, which would be a great fit on a motorized desk next to the arcade console, and way cheaper than buying another console:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099DQV7TR/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?pd_rd_i=B099DQV7TR&pd_rd_w=r3P5c&pf_rd_p=887084a2-5c34-4113-a4f8-b7947847c308&pd_rd_wg=MQneb&pf_rd_r=BCPNX9K8S3NWDDWP5NFG&pd_rd_r=4a3945e4-442c-44bf-924c-457d1d410908&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE5OVM3VjJQVVVSS0QmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2MTM4ODgyQ0xJWTJKVTFKVURDJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMzkxMzIyVDI3MlozVUJBWDZDJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

I was thinking about just using an old mini-pc I have, putting DosBox on it, and just downloading the games I want, but I tried searching for the gaming keyboard that comes with these units and came up empty. For two hundred bucks though, just getting the whole shebang without any work involved wouldn't be bad.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2021, 01:49:18 PM »
Y’all should be seeing these game units  hit Walmart and Target pretty soon for Christmas. Big Lots carried a Galactica one over the summer.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2021, 02:16:13 PM »
Holy sweet mother of crap, 8 THOUSAND games?  :O

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2021, 02:45:49 PM »
Holy sweet mother of crap, 8 THOUSAND games?  :O

Apparently there are LOTS of dupes. It's supposed to have a game search function, but yeah, that's still a lot to go through, and I'm sure more than half of them are pieces of crap. On some of these units, you can't add or delete games, but this one lets you do both, so a couple of hours of your time could probably streamline things a bit. I think that's what I would do if I got this. Keep Joust, delete Joost.  :laugh:

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2021, 04:02:15 PM »
I would really like to get a dedicated Galaga machine sometime. Not sure if I would prefer a standup version or a cocktail table version.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2021, 05:02:55 PM »
Y’all should be seeing these game units  hit Walmart and Target pretty soon for Christmas. Big Lots carried a Galactica one over the summer.
I have one near me, but I rarely go.  Wonder if I should stop by.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2021, 05:05:57 PM »
Apparently there are LOTS of dupes. It's supposed to have a game search function, but yeah, that's still a lot to go through, and I'm sure more than half of them are pieces of crap. On some of these units, you can't add or delete games, but this one lets you do both, so a couple of hours of your time could probably streamline things a bit. I think that's what I would do if I got this. Keep Joust, delete Joost.  :laugh:
Using your own monitor makes it interesting though.  Some of those consoles looked like they had pretty small screens.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2021, 05:21:35 PM »
Ben relaxing at home, with a friend:

Ben getting down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY_ESTnBlS0
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2021, 05:40:23 PM »
Using your own monitor makes it interesting though.  Some of those consoles looked like they had pretty small screens.

The linked one does 1280x720, so would be able to handle a spare 19" monitor I have laying around.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2021, 05:40:50 PM »

[img width=600]https://static.raymondcamden.com/images/2018/11/a1.jpg

Ben getting down:

I gotta get me one of them hats.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2021, 08:56:03 PM »
I would really like to get a dedicated Galaga machine sometime. Not sure if I would prefer a standup version or a cocktail table version.

The Big Lots version was stand up and there may still be one or two in stock in your area if you have Big Lots. They were not unreasonable price either. The cabinet isn’t full scale to a true arcade machine (which is nice because those were kinda huge for a house) but it’s of a decent size.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2021, 08:59:28 PM »
The Big Lots version was stand up and there may still be one or two in stock in your area if you have Big Lots. They were not unreasonable price either. The cabinet isn’t full scale to a true arcade machine (which is nice because those were kinda huge for a house) but it’s of a decent size.

I'm pretty sure they are all "3/4" size", which is what mine is listed as. As I mentioned above, it's doable, even at 6'3". Worst case, you use a stool with it, but I'm still standing when I use mine. I just have to duck down slightly to see the score. Everything else is easily visible. The cabinet does not at all seem like a midget cabinet in any way. Really, a full sized cabinet would almost feel too large in a house vs in the arcade.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2021, 09:49:17 PM »
Worth a trip tomorrow to find out. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2021, 09:49:58 PM »
I gotta get me one of them hats.
It might come with the giant model train the guy had if I am remembering the show correctly. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2021, 10:02:02 AM »
God what an awful show that was.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2021, 10:37:14 AM »

Ben getting down:

Ben, you grew up with Captain Kangaroo!?! 

(also: Tempest!)
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.