Author Topic: No Bacon For You!  (Read 711 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
No Bacon For You!
« on: August 02, 2021, 04:19:44 PM »
Looks like they may not be bringing home the bacon in California.
Wonder if this means bacon will be cheaper for the rest of us?

At the beginning of next year, California will begin enforcing an animal welfare proposition approved overwhelmingly by voters in 2018 that requires more space for breeding pigs, egg-laying chickens and veal calves. National veal and egg producers are optimistic they can meet the new standards, but only 4% of hog operations now comply with the new rules. Unless the courts intervene or the state temporarily allows non-compliant meat to be sold in the state, California will lose almost all of its pork supply, much of which comes from Iowa, and pork producers will face higher costs to regain a key market.
Bacon may disappear in California as pig rules take effect
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/bacon-disappear-california-pig-rules-effect-79189119

California may lose almost all of its bacon supply as pig rules take effect
A state law taking effect Jan. 1 could make pork harder to find and more expensive.
https://abc7news.com/bacon-california-pig-pork/10921900/

Coming Soon: The Great California Bacon Crisis
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/08/california-faces-bacon-crisis-due-to-animal-cruelty-law.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: No Bacon For You!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 04:24:36 PM »
Now there is a reason to start the 2nd civil war!!
 [ar15] [ar15] [ar15]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 04:37:31 PM »
Between bacon and high end computers/parts I may have to start making a weekly run to CA. ;)

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 05:02:02 PM »
The pork producers instead of holding fast with *expletive deleted*ck CA will instead comply and force the cost of complying on the rest of us

I don’t even live in the state but California is *expletive deleted*ing me over from clear on the other side of the country.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 05:26:20 PM »
The pork producers instead of holding fast with *expletive deleted*ck CA will instead comply and force the cost of complying on the rest of us

I don’t even live in the state but California is *expletive deleted*ing me over from clear on the other side of the country.

Yup. Another article I read on it had a pork producer in Iowa saying they pretty much need to comply or they will lose too much business. I guess a population of 40 million plus a bajillion illegals ends up having clout.

I'd like to see them say "no" though. It could be that they lose business for a little while and then CA folds, but  instead they fold because they think CA won't.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 05:33:02 PM »
Yup. Another article I read on it had a pork producer in Iowa saying they pretty much need to comply or they will lose too much business. I guess a population of 40 million plus a bajillion illegals ends up having clout.

I'd like to see them say "no" though. It could be that they lose business for a little while and then CA folds, but  instead they fold because they think CA won't.
This might be one of those cases where federal interstate commerce powers should apply.  But the people in charge at that level likely agree. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 06:13:13 PM »

The problem is economic.  California has a huge economy.  Gross state product is like 3 trillion dollars.  14% of the US GDP.  You have to put the economic activity of the bottom 25 states together to match California, including the one I live in.  In terms of population, 11.8% of Americans live there.

Nobody wants to lose that market, it's a lot of customers.

Add to that the costs and hurdles associated with maintaining "California-only" production and distribution... yea, unless the cost of compliance is very high, it will likely happen as you say.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 06:52:23 PM »
In this case it is obvious we will all eat the cost or not eat. That said I cannot find a ton of faults with the Cali rule. It is a nose under the tent for others, but not insane like the Colorado proposal that would ban slaughter before 25% of an animal’s natural life span. This rule makes modest increases in the space requirements for animals. How they are kept now isn’t humane. I still buy meat at the store and I live in the middle of one of the biggest poultry producing areas in the world. Occasionally I work in the chicken and rendering plants. And more and more I feel bad for the turkeys that go by my house day and night. So we have been buying more pastured meat raised in county and I keep my own turkeys and egg chickens. They will have one bad day but until then they eat grass, bugs and be birds. Working on getting my own pasture as well.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 07:44:19 PM »
In this case it is obvious we will all eat the cost or not eat. That said I cannot find a ton of faults with the Cali rule.

I can't remember the space requirements for the CA rule, but if they are not insane, I wouldn't necessarily have a problem. Our food animals don't need an acre of fairyland each to romp around in, but keeping them shoulder to shoulder in *expletive deleted*it their entire lives is kinda going to the opposite extreme. Not that all the farms do that by any means, but some minority certainly do, and those egregious examples are what are usually used to push these kinds of laws through.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 10:08:52 PM »
I’m mostly with French and Ben.  If I could get to the point of never buying meat from the store by having enough I raise/hunt/catch myself or trade with others that raise/hunt/catch their own, I’ll be a happy guy.  Not because that would somehow “stick it to the man” but because animals raised such that they can express their natural selves for the most part with just one bad moment taste better and are more nutritious.  They’re also more expensive though, and that makes it unaffordable for many.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 10:38:55 PM »
$19 a pound is what I'm hearing. That would suck. I'm doing six pounds of pecan candy bacon for our ice cream social on Wednesday.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 11:32:29 AM »
I suspect that before they are done, there will be three classes of people in California... Poor people on welfare, and those in the gated communities, with a small group of service providers in the middle who are damn near slaves... "No, you cannot legally move until you pay the debt you owe to the state store."
Blog under construction