Author Topic: Potential Ballot Initiative in Oregon Aims to End All Hunting, Fishing, Trapping  (Read 1566 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.sportsmensalliance.org/news/potential-ballot-initiative-in-oregon-aims-to-end-all-hunting-fishing-trapping/

I heard about this earlier.  It is just an initiative that got permission to start collecting signatures so the likelihood of passing is low.  However, it is a good example of how crazy some leftists are.  You can also imagine the sales pitch for collecting signatures will focus on helping animals and probably won't mention banning fishing.

Oregon Initiative Petition 13 (IP 13) is an anti-hunting and anti-agriculture ballot effort that will make harvesting any fish or game a crime. IP 13, known as the Abuse, Neglect and Assault Exemption Modification and Improvement Act, will ban the harvest of any animal by hunting, fishing and trapping and will only allow a self-defense exception. It will also criminalize common animal husbandry practices, slaughter for food and common breeding practices, such as artificial insemination.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
It will also criminalize common animal husbandry practices, slaughter for food and common breeding practices, such as artificial insemination

Unless I'm crazy this + banning hunting would basically ban meat
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
Unless I'm crazy banning this + hunting would basically would ban meat
I agree.  And pretty much anyone in the livestock business, small and large.  The question is if it would ban those products from other states.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
Be interesting, and revealing, watching to see how far this gets.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Another great example of the coast/rest of Oregon disconnect. The East side residents live and breath fishing and hunting. Heck, I'm pretty sure even most of the coast is big into fishing, and there is a ton of coastal elk hunting. More like a 50 mile diameter circle around the center of Portland and the rest of Oregon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
If this passes, slim chance, they will then hire in "professionals" with silenced weapons to keep the animals in check.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
I agree.  And pretty much anyone in the livestock business, small and large.  The question is if it would ban those products from other states.

Ban The Farm Show Loophole
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
If this passes, slim chance, they will then hire in "professionals" with silenced weapons to keep the animals in check.
Just bring in more bears, that will solve that problem.   Make sure to place them in the urban areas where the overpopulation is worst.  =D

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
There is a robust commercial fishing industry on the Oregon coast.  I wonder if this proposed legislation would end that.  As I learned decades ago with legislation, the devil is in the details and I have to read it to understand it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Regolith

• friend
More like a 50 mile diameter circle around the center of Portland and the rest of Oregon.

Closer to a 15-20 mile radius. I'm well within 50 miles, but in a pretty solid red county. There are also a lot of rural communities in that radius that are completely different than Portland. Unfortunately, the Portland Metro urban area completely dominates the politics in this state.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Closer to a 15-20 mile radius.

50 mile diameter=25 mile radius.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Regolith

• friend
50 mile diameter=25 mile radius.  =D

D'oh! :facepalm:

That aside, I don't see this passing. On the whole, the voters of the state are somewhat more conservative than the legislature/governor. Extremely left wing ballot initiatives are usually voted down.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

sumpnz

• friend
They’ll keep coming back with more initiatives whittling it down each time until they get something to pass.  Then they’ll go for a “reasonable” expansion every year until in 20-30 years they have what they want.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
D'oh! :facepalm:

That aside, I don't see this passing.

I agree. Way too extreme for even many libs. Though Sumpnz has a point about incrementalism - which affects all of us in every state.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
There are huge state agencies whose whole livelihood depend upon conservation, dnr activities like fishing, hunting, trapping etc. They also have a multitude of other functions they perform for the state.

It would boggle belief if something like this passed.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
1 - Introduce insane far left bill.
2 - Sit back and enjoy the outrage.
3 - Introduce a toned down version that appears sane only in comparison to the first bill as a "reasonable" compromise.
4 - Get that bill passed .
Keep repeating until you get the bill you want passed

- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
There are huge state agencies whose whole livelihood depend upon conservation, dnr activities like fishing, hunting, trapping etc. They also have a multitude of other functions they perform for the state.

It would boggle belief if something like this passed.

Good point.  I actually don't know the percentages in ID, but back in CA, I know a LOT of my fishing and hunting fees went to all kinds of environazi programs. These people may be attempting to cut off their nose to spite their face.

zxcvbob

• friend
Wouldn't this violate treaties with the American Indian tribes in Oregon?  (or are all the PNW Indians in Washington?)  Not that we don't have a long history of ignoring Indian treaties.  :mad:  Might be another way to attack it, tho.
"It's good, though..."

sumpnz

• friend
Oregon tribes don’t have it quite as good as the WA tribes in terms of hunting and fishing.  The Boldt Decision from the 70’s gave the WA treaty tribes (note, not all tribes are treaty tribes) the right to 50% of the harvestable wildlife each year.  Non-tribal commercial and sport hunters/fishers split the rest.  So if somehow an initiative like the OP shared got passed here the tribes would basically just get it all.  There’s very little enforcement of the 50% limit now and if whities were excluded the tribes would just go nuts and take as much as they could handle.

JN01

• friend
Unless I'm crazy this + banning hunting would basically ban meat

You could still buy meat from Planned Parenthood.

JTHunter

• friends
Hasn't "Kookyfornia" already done something similar?  I seem to recall news stories about how the state would not allow eggs to be shipped to grocers unless these were "free range" eggs.
Egg prices went ballistic.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.

I'm sure you'll be free to buy Chinese mystery meat and all the cricket paste you like.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
They’ll keep coming back with more initiatives whittling it down each time until they get something to pass.  Then they’ll go for a “reasonable” expansion every year until in 20-30 years they have what they want.

This strategy has been going on for a very long time.  Funny thing is nobody notices it until it involves their own bowl of rice, and not even until the "reasonable expansions" start coming up in the second stage.

Once a statute has been adopted, what is written in the law today can easily be rewritten tomorrow.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 05:52:02 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Andiron

• friend
I'll sign the stupid initiative and honestly hope it passes.  Until the normies start feeling pain nothing is going to change. 

Ban hunting and pass the popcorn.  Ban meat too!  [popcorn]
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
I'll sign the stupid initiative and honestly hope it passes.  Until the normies start feeling pain nothing is going to change. 

Ban hunting and pass the popcorn.  Ban meat too!  [popcorn]

Trouble is every time they do something stupid like this and people start hurting they find some way to blame conservatives and no matter how stupid it is the MSM backs them up.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 10:25:17 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes