Author Topic: Hillsdale College Online Courses  (Read 976 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Hillsdale College Online Courses
« on: November 21, 2021, 10:45:53 AM »
Free lecture series available on multiple topics/disciplines. The lectures I've watched are generally around 30-45 minutes. There around 8-12 lectures per class series.

Politics, literature, history, philosophy/religion, economics and mathematics/natural science are the categories. There are multiple lecture series covering different subjects in each category.

Due to the shortness of the lectures you receive more of an introduction to some of the subjects vs in depth knowledge. At least that is my observation from the course I've taken.

They're lectures, not multimedia entertainment. In the course I'm familiar with there has been no animations or visuals. But the subject was interesting to me and kept my attention. More so than other video media actually. 

https://online.hillsdale.edu/#course-offerings

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Hillsdale College Online Courses
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 10:49:10 AM »
Thanks for posting that!  MIT has a similar deal, open courseware:  https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 10:54:04 AM »
Thanks for posting that!  MIT has a similar deal, open courseware:  https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

... and thanks to you for your link!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 11:15:45 AM »
And, this being America, there are retards suing to stop these free courses.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 11:33:52 PM »
I was going to ask for a link before I realized that everybody is suing everybody else for everything nowadays and a link is unnecessary.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 08:56:55 AM »
I was going to ask for a link before I realized that everybody is suing everybody else for everything nowadays and a link is unnecessary.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion/op-ed/bs-ed-mooc-access-20150321-story.html
https://creeclaw.org/case/online-content-lawsuit-harvard-mit/

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 05:36:31 PM »
^ Yeah, OK, that kinda makes sense.  People ignore handicap issues until they themselves become handicapped.

I was pleased to see "Fine $250" signs accompanying handicapped parking signs around town recently.  While it may not be "inherently evil," it is more than simply an inconvenience to have to park halfway out in the parking lot if you're actually handicapped.

BTW, on these online courses, which sound very good, are there any provisions for getting credit from them towards a degree?   I asked someone recently where they had learned something and they replied, "Google University."  I had to laugh at that.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 07:31:28 PM »
How obnoxious that anyone who tries to do anything is also required to give sight to the blind and open the ears of the deaf. I guess it was Harvard's fault those people had a disability.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 07:36:49 PM »
Well, speaking as someone who heavily relies on closed captions, I think they are a great idea.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 08:20:57 PM »
Yeah, especially since they are now generated instantly cybernetically.  i'm toying with the idea of getting one of those free (yeah, I know, you paid for it) phones that display the caller's words on a screen.

I'm starting to have problems with callers whose enunciation is not "microphone perfect."  Especially those recordings of "Press one if you want bliznok forgelbans, press two if you need parglesnock winkerpleens, press three if you have kligshuck nokelbleebs...."

Often all I want is a simple parglesnock winkerpleen.

Pressing zero sometimes gets you to a person, but you often get "Your call is important to us..." for a half hour.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 08:33:39 PM by 230RN »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 09:27:08 PM »
Well, speaking as someone who heavily relies on closed captions, I think they are a great idea.

When we are working remotely, we run our meetings through Teams. My life improved a lot when Teams added the functionality of live captions to a meeting. For someone with a major bilateral hearing loss since birth who was trained to read lips, meetings with people wearing masks such that I cannot read their lips are an exercise in frustration. I now prefer Teams meetings.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2021, 10:51:38 PM »
I suspect I may have some level of hearing loss, never been tested though.

In environments with background noise I often struggle to hear folks clearly that are speaking to me. I'm pretty sure I'm using visual cues to understand people because I find myself asking folks to repeat themselves when they talk to me from the side or behind me. I can be a loud talker also, so I've been told ... I think that was mostly back when I was drinking though, lol.

The sound out of my laptop isn't ideal, I use CC whenever available.

oops, originally typed verbal instead of visual
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 11:47:05 PM by Ron »

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 11:27:57 PM »
I had one of those today...

"Okay - I cannot hear you well enough to understand you. Turn  your smart phone off speaker phone, turn  your music off, If there's a screaming kid, go outside, and PLEASE tell me what car you have again?"

And he didn't really know what kind of car he had, and he thought that an O2 sensor was a transmission sensor, and...

Don't get high before making important phone calls.
Blog under construction

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 11:32:40 PM »
Yes, I also have some hearing loss, which is why I am overjoyed that other people must lose access to something that I can’t enjoy as fully.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2021, 02:37:36 AM »
When we are working remotely, we run our meetings through Teams. My life improved a lot when Teams added the functionality of live captions to a meeting. For someone with a major bilateral hearing loss since birth who was trained to read lips, meetings with people wearing masks such that I cannot read their lips are an exercise in frustration. I now prefer Teams meetings.

I only noticed I was reading lips about ten years ago when someone was speaking while walking away.  Click.    Then I started to observe it a lot.

cordex said,

"Yes, I also have some hearing loss, which is why I am overjoyed that other people must lose access to something that I can’t enjoy as fully."

As I said previously, people ignore handicap issues until they themselves become handicapped.

More than once I've been a son of a bitch (sorry, Mom) and told somebody, "I hope you never get this old."

Kinda chills their chops, it do.

Terry. 230RN

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2021, 08:23:09 AM »
As I said previously, people ignore handicap issues until they themselves become handicapped.
Preach it, dude, I totally agree! I hate to see someone being able to do something if I myself am not able to do it. It is better that everyone be denied something I cannot make full use of or have. It is frankly the pinnacle of righteousness to destroy opportunities available to others but not to me given my personal situation.

I mean, “equality of opportunity”, right?  Should apply 100% to everything.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2021, 10:31:08 AM »
^^^Harrison Bergeron.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2021, 01:00:19 PM »
^^^Harrison Bergeron.
Ah, utopian literature, am I right 230?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2021, 11:15:27 AM »
There's something wrong when someone is giving away free stuff and other people can go to court and sue because the free stuff some people are getting doesn't benefit them.

(Unless it's the government giving away free stuff - I wouldn't get very far by filing suit for not getting free Obiden Care insurance, a free Obama phone, free food stamps, etc. )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain