Author Topic: Mask observation  (Read 5090 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Mask observation
« on: August 11, 2021, 08:08:11 AM »
Harbor Freight's 10-packs of masks are at 99 cents. I had to buy one for a doctor's appointment, and I've been supposed to be wearing one at work. I get the occasional Karen.

I suspect that there's no longer a huge demand.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Mask observation
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 08:11:00 AM »
Maybe that means the freakin' nitrile gloves will get back to normal too.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 09:14:17 AM »

Maybe. My work used to pay $10/box and now they are $50.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 10:26:18 AM »
We buy millions of SKUs of PPE, and we have not seen the prices go down a whole lot.  There is still tremendous demand, at least in the healthcare sector.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 11:19:30 AM »
Last week our harbor fright had plenty of them in stock again but prices were still crazy high.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 11:32:34 AM »
When we walked through two big box stores yesterday they both had masks and sanitizer stuff on clearance..  I guess they didn't get the memo yet.   >:D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 11:45:06 AM »
If the prices are low, I need to go ahead and get a couple packs to put away for the future. 

I happened to get hold of a full face gas mask earlier this year.  I need to make sure I have some filters for it.  Might come in handy just for fun.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 11:54:05 AM »

I happened to get hold of a full face gas mask earlier this year.  I need to make sure I have some filters for it.  Might come in handy just for fun.

While I know it was armchair overkill, I had wanted one anyway for non-covid reasons, so when this whole shebang started last year, I bought a Mira CM-6 around JAN 2020. They were still on sale back then, albeit it with like a 3 month lead time. I'm ready for the apocalypse though.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 12:33:47 PM »
Harbor Freight's 10-packs of masks are at 99 cents. I had to buy one for a doctor's appointment, and I've been supposed to be wearing one at work. I get the occasional Karen.

I suspect that there's no longer a huge demand.

I bought a 2-pack of KN95 masks at HF a couple of days ago for $2.  I haven't opened them yet but they feel nice and thick in the package, I think they are probably the real thing but not certified.

I've been wearing the same CE certified KN95 for about 2 months.  (I don't wear it often)  Not sure where my wife bought it.  I wash it in the laundry. =)  The ear loops are getting pretty loose so I should probably retire it.
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 08:42:01 PM »
If it doesn't leave marks on your face, it isn't doing anything.

If you have to work in a dusty environment, and have dust on your face, it isn't doing anything.

I _STILL_ can't get PPE for my customers in the body shop business.
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 08:58:43 PM »
If it doesn't leave marks on your face, it isn't doing anything.

If you have to work in a dusty environment, and have dust on your face, it isn't doing anything.

I _STILL_ can't get PPE for my customers in the body shop business.

We are running into real shortages of gloves and face shields

And forget N95 masks for breathing protection. Also our wonderful *expletive deleted*ing idiot safety director denied our welder’s request for a PAPR hood (pressurized air in welding helmet) because it has the word respirator in its description and that’s a “liability”
 and he, said safety director, is a dumbass that doesn’t know *expletive deleted*it about working a real job so now our welder who is grinding and air arcing has to breath it all in.

Yet you go to Walmart and the *expletive deleted*ing unwashed trash methheads of society are all walking around with face shield, mask, gloves like they are going into a hot zone but dressed in dirty ass pajama pants and tank tops with their greasy bellies hanging out. They’d do better avoiding COVID by bathing daily and practicing hygiene instead of using all the PPE up.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 09:42:36 PM »
I get folks who are wearing the blue nitrile gloves... The same pair, all day long, looks nasty as hell, and the mask has grunge on it... The real winners have bedazzled masks or shields.

And they get upset if you say something like "No, I can't get into your dank ride to plug this thing in, and no, I won't tell you something different from the last three places that did your car's tarot...
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 08:15:50 AM »

Yet you go to Walmart and the *expletive deleted*ing unwashed trash methheads of society are all walking around with face shield, mask, gloves like they are going into a hot zone but dressed in dirty ass pajama pants and tank tops with their greasy bellies hanging out. They’d do better avoiding COVID by bathing daily and practicing hygiene instead of using all the PPE up.

You obviously frequent a different Walmart than the one I go to. In recent weeks, I'd guesstimate that 50% of the customers don't wear a mask at all. And, of the ones who do wear a mask, 90% of them pull it down under their chin a soon as they get beyond the greeter.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 09:05:33 AM »
While I know it was armchair overkill, I had wanted one anyway for non-covid reasons, so when this whole shebang started last year, I bought a Mira CM-6 around JAN 2020. They were still on sale back then, albeit it with like a 3 month lead time. I'm ready for the apocalypse though.  =D
Mine is something like that.  I just need to remember to pull it out and order filter cartridges and maybe some chemical cartridges.  If something actually pushes me to use it, it will likely be pretty bad.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »
" so now our welder who is grinding and air arcing has to breath it all in. "

Isn't that an OSHA violation?

That would get the "safety" director to change his tune really quickly, I bet.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2021, 01:16:58 PM »
What is OSHA going to do if you cannot procure the PPE?
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2021, 06:31:53 PM »

PPE is available at Harbor Freight, Home Depot, and Lowes now.  I don't know how good it is, but it's a hell of a lot better than nothing.
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2021, 07:21:20 PM »
Oh, and I'm STILL seeing the 95 masks with the vents...

"You're wearing that because you really care about other people, right?"

And they look puzzled.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2021, 04:06:32 AM »
Oh, and I'm STILL seeing the 95 masks with the vents...

"You're wearing that because you really care about other people, right?"

And they look puzzled.

^?^

You actually do that?

A stranger goes up to someone out of the blue and asks something like that, no wonder they'd look puzzled.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 04:31:21 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2021, 06:48:47 AM »

What you described wasn't an inability to get PPE, it was an adamant refusal to procure PPE for a potentially hazardous activity. Different kinds of things entirely.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2021, 08:30:54 PM »
Usually it involves someone talking at me because I'm not wearing a face diaper...

That, and I'm not a member of a protected minority, some who seem to have plenty of protection.

I saw a car a couple of days ago that had to have over 200 masks in the front seat... Not in packages. They appeared to be used...

"Sorry, not getting in here."
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2021, 08:37:07 PM »
Seriously - I have had people tell me, with great seriousness, "I was tested several days ago, and just found out that I'm negative, and I'm so happy to be safe." Some other folks have tested multiple times, also in the belief that it provides protection.
Blog under construction

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2021, 09:03:06 PM »
I found some soft filters at a welding store, they pop into a silicone half mask 3m respirator- about the size of a small pancake, they fit under a welding hood. Not near as nice as an air supply, but better than nothing.

part number    3m 2297 P100

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2021, 01:20:13 AM »
I saw a car a couple of days ago that had to have over 200 masks in the front seat... Not in packages. They appeared to be used...

We keep 2 or 3 hanging off the blinker of our SUV that we rotate out when they start looking "used". I only wear them at the hospital(s) so that's all purified, healthy air, right?  ;/
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2021, 11:12:17 AM »

At least that person is changing their mask from time to time. Seen people wearing masks that are noticeably stained..
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes