Author Topic: US Supreme Court to hear carry case  (Read 1125 times)

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
US Supreme Court to hear carry case
« on: August 16, 2021, 05:58:43 PM »
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: US Supreme Court to hear carry case
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 06:02:06 PM »
I ain't gonna hold my breath waiting for a positive outcome.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 07:43:07 PM »
I should be rejoicing that the SCOTUS finally agreed to hear another 2A case ... but the two new kids on the court worry me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 08:58:07 AM »
I am glad they are hearing the case.  I refuse to start speculating and getting my hopes up.  They won't hear the case for some weeks yet and we probably won't see a decision until late Spring of 2022 or maybe Summer. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 12:08:01 AM »
I am glad they are hearing the case.  I refuse to start speculating and getting my hopes up.  They won't hear the case for some weeks yet and we probably won't see a decision until late Spring of 2022 or maybe Summer. 
for gun cases, always the last one to be announced, the last possible minute on the last day of June
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 12:46:02 AM »

I believe they started oral arguments today.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 09:14:44 AM »
Morning while drinking coffee thoughts

If the NY law gets struck down I can very well see NY ignoring the SC decision and the dems running wild with some things need to change right now since the decision came from Trump's "packed" the court and trying to ram though some insane legislation, Rs and the filibuster be dammed. Throw in a it's now or never reaction due to VA and could get insane.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 10:52:43 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 06:20:23 PM »
  NY etc will go "shall issue" but it will be enormously expensive and time consuming, and that pot conviction you had in 1983 means you cannot get a permit.
 Your ccw from Florida/Utah will not legally count, but cops won't know this.  They will cut you lose if they "like" you

You will only be able to carry that gun you are already ok with losing, the only solace is you do not become a prohibited person. you're just out thousands of dollars.

hollywood jerks will be able to do whatever
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

JN01

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 05:05:47 PM »
I listened to the hearing, it was pretty interesting.  NY Solicitor General Barbara Underwood came off like a bumbling idiot.

Roberts was surprisingly supportive:
Chief Justice John Roberts said there's no need to show some special need to invoke other constitutional rights. "The idea that you would need a license to exercise a right is unusual with regard to the Bill of Rights."

He also suggested that the need to carry a gun for self-defense is greater in some cities than in rural areas, where concealed carry permits are generally easier to get. "How many muggings take place in the forest?"

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2021, 05:29:58 PM »
I listened to the hearing, it was pretty interesting.  NY Solicitor General Barbara Underwood came off like a bumbling idiot.

Roberts was surprisingly supportive:
Chief Justice John Roberts said there's no need to show some special need to invoke other constitutional rights. "The idea that you would need a license to exercise a right is unusual with regard to the Bill of Rights."

He also suggested that the need to carry a gun for self-defense is greater in some cities than in rural areas, where concealed carry permits are generally easier to get. "How many muggings take place in the forest?"

Muggings? Probably not that many. There are however a lot of creeps, degenerates, sex pests, bipedal vermin and other meat targets outside of the big cities tho, and some of them do hunt in national parks, forests, conservation areas and such.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

JN01

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2021, 06:08:01 PM »
That comment was a follow-up to a line of questions where Underwood verified that simply wanting to defend yourself in a high crime area was not a sufficient justification for a carry permit, then she inferred that one of the plaintiffs shouldn't be complaining because he had been issued a permit to carry when he was hunting, fishing, etc in unpopulated areas.

Roberts was being a little snarky in raising a valid point.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2021, 06:33:47 PM »
Is there any projection as to when we'll see a decision in this case? I hope we don't have to wait until June of 2022.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design