Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Food Processor?

(1/3) > >>

Bogie:
Okay - I'm something of a kitchenbitch, but I'm a budget.

I -finally- tried an impulse purchase "single serving" food processor I picked up on the impulse aisle at Aldi... Chopped some sausage for an omelet.

(BTW, going back on hard-core limited carb, so omelets will be a staple - and they're quick and easy...)

I WANT A BIGGERER ONE!

Anyone have a recommendation for a -cost effective- larger one? I'm probably going to do 5# of sausage at a time, and freeze 'em for individual use.

(damn, I'm becoming my father - he would cook 5-10 pounds of bacon in an afternoon, lay the strips out, and then stack 'em in freezer bags - he liked bacon).

zxcvbob:
Do you want a food processor or a grinder?

We're still using a Cuisinart that we bought over 30 years ago.  One of the models with a 7-cup work bowl.  The bowl is cracked but hasn't failed yet so I haven't replaced it.

For the meat grinder, I have a electric #12 grinder from Northern Hydraulic for about $99.  My brother has a much beefier looking grinder that I don't know where he got it, but it just takes #8 plates and knives so mine is probably faster but i don't know.  You might can find an old #10 hand-crank grinder at a garage sale or on eBay.  (#10 and #12 grinding plates are the same size)  I'm not sure I would buy a cheap new one.

Bogie:
I picked up a 5# bag of "precooked sausage links" at a nearby restaurant supply place. Two links make for a nice omelet.

<yeah, there are reasons why I like urban living>

Chopper, not grinder...

K Frame:
The gold standard is still Cuisinart, I believe, but they're not cheap. I was fortunate... a few years ago I picked up one for free on Freecycle. People got it for their wedding back in the late 1980s and never used it. I've made up for lost time with it. It's fantastic.

My parents bought me a Black and Decker food processor for Christmas back in the 1990s. It was fine, I used it a lot. It had some features that were really nice that my Cuisinart doesn't have, but it was really underpowered and just didn't feel sturdy compared to the Cuisinart.

Brad Johnson:
How much is too much?

Brad

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version