Author Topic: Food Processor?  (Read 1493 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Food Processor?
« on: August 17, 2021, 01:04:56 AM »
Okay - I'm something of a kitchenbitch, but I'm a budget.

I -finally- tried an impulse purchase "single serving" food processor I picked up on the impulse aisle at Aldi... Chopped some sausage for an omelet.

(BTW, going back on hard-core limited carb, so omelets will be a staple - and they're quick and easy...)

I WANT A BIGGERER ONE!

Anyone have a recommendation for a -cost effective- larger one? I'm probably going to do 5# of sausage at a time, and freeze 'em for individual use.

(damn, I'm becoming my father - he would cook 5-10 pounds of bacon in an afternoon, lay the strips out, and then stack 'em in freezer bags - he liked bacon).
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Food Processor?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 01:17:59 AM »
Do you want a food processor or a grinder?

We're still using a Cuisinart that we bought over 30 years ago.  One of the models with a 7-cup work bowl.  The bowl is cracked but hasn't failed yet so I haven't replaced it.

For the meat grinder, I have a electric #12 grinder from Northern Hydraulic for about $99.  My brother has a much beefier looking grinder that I don't know where he got it, but it just takes #8 plates and knives so mine is probably faster but i don't know.  You might can find an old #10 hand-crank grinder at a garage sale or on eBay.  (#10 and #12 grinding plates are the same size)  I'm not sure I would buy a cheap new one.
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 01:28:26 AM »
I picked up a 5# bag of "precooked sausage links" at a nearby restaurant supply place. Two links make for a nice omelet.

<yeah, there are reasons why I like urban living>

Chopper, not grinder...

Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 06:05:56 AM »
The gold standard is still Cuisinart, I believe, but they're not cheap. I was fortunate... a few years ago I picked up one for free on Freecycle. People got it for their wedding back in the late 1980s and never used it. I've made up for lost time with it. It's fantastic.

My parents bought me a Black and Decker food processor for Christmas back in the 1990s. It was fine, I used it a lot. It had some features that were really nice that my Cuisinart doesn't have, but it was really underpowered and just didn't feel sturdy compared to the Cuisinart.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 03:15:01 PM »
How much is too much?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 05:48:30 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 05:53:42 PM »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 06:35:11 PM »
I have a Kitchenade that I really like.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 01:39:56 AM »
The gold standard is still Cuisinart, I believe, but they're not cheap. I was fortunate... a few years ago I picked up one for free on Freecycle. People got it for their wedding back in the late 1980s and never used it. I've made up for lost time with it. It's fantastic.

My parents bought me a Black and Decker food processor for Christmas back in the 1990s. It was fine, I used it a lot. It had some features that were really nice that my Cuisinart doesn't have, but it was really underpowered and just didn't feel sturdy compared to the Cuisinart.

Not a bad idea, stalk goodwill stores. 99% junk but every now ad then I find something really good.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 01:16:30 PM »
We've had four food processors since 1980, three Cuisinarts and a Kitchen Aide.  The first Cuisinart was great.  It lasted about 20 years. The second one worked as well, but it seemed like once a month we were ordering some little plastic doodad that had broken. We finally retired it to horseradish duty (horseradish will etch the plastic, sometimes) and bought a Kitchen Aide.  We are currently on our third Cuisinart.  Mind you, we use the CRAP out of ours between cooking for 6-8 people (or more) and canning.  Right now is tomato and green chile season, which means it gets used daily.  We put up about 200 pints of salsa every year, plus all the tomatoes we have energy to process.

My philosophy with kitchen appliances has always been, buy the best you can find.  And, short of going to a restaurant supply place, Cuisinart is the one.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 05:16:15 PM »
We put up about 200 pints of salsa every year, plus all the tomatoes we have energy to process.

:O

Brad
-HankB