Author Topic: Joe Biden Bans Russian Ammunition Importation  (Read 4544 times)

Jim147

• friends
Re: Joe Biden Bans Russian Ammunition Importation
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2021, 05:18:58 PM »
Yep about 40% of the plinking 5.56, 7.62x39, 9MM etc comes from Russia. I'm hoping wolf makes the primer somewhere they still ship them in. I've used many and they are as good as CCI.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2021, 06:00:12 PM »
I wonder about that 40% number. Wolf for example was made in Russia, but is now Taiwan and is actually an American company I believe. A lot of imported ammo actually comes out of Serbia, Israel, Czech Republic, etc. I’ve been buying and shooting a lot of Norma handgun ammo now that they make it, that’s Norway. Fiocchi has always been a big name out of Italy. I’m not convinced this ban will make that big a difference. Especially as other manufacturers have increased production capacity recently.

Of course Biden could try to ban imports from other countries.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2021, 06:58:45 PM »
I wonder about that 40% number. Wolf for example was made in Russia, but is now Taiwan and is actually an American company I believe. A lot of imported ammo actually comes out of Serbia, Israel, Czech Republic, etc. I’ve been buying and shooting a lot of Norma handgun ammo now that they make it, that’s Norway. Fiocchi has always been a big name out of Italy. I’m not convinced this ban will make that big a difference. Especially as other manufacturers have increased production capacity recently.

Of course Biden could try to ban imports from other countries.

Interesting. It's been a long time since I bought factory ammo so haven't paid much attention but the 40% number has been from several venders. Maybe they don't know where the ammo is made or are going to use it as an excuse to raise prices back up above last years highs.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2021, 07:21:29 PM »
Interesting. It's been a long time since I bought factory ammo so haven't paid much attention but the 40% number has been from several venders. Maybe they don't know where the ammo is made or are going to use it as an excuse to raise prices back up above last years highs.

I could very well be wrong. I’m certainly not a dealer. It’s been decades since I bought any ammo actually made in Russia though, so I find it hard to believe that 40% number. Now I do purposefully avoid any steel case or anything with steel in the actual bullet. I know that was at least common with Russian ammo. I also generally go through more than my fair share of ammo with several firearms with giggle switches so it seems I would run into more Russian ammo if that number was accurate.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2021, 07:46:08 PM »
I can easily believe Russia makes 40% of the imported ammo.  Harder to believe 40% of all of it.  I guess more people will talk about that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2021, 07:49:07 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2021, 10:41:30 PM »
https://gunzonedeals.com/product/tula-7.62x39-122gr-fmj-1000-rd-case

https://gunzonedeals.com/product/tulammo-ta223550-centerfire-rifle-223-remington5.56-nato-55-gr-full-metal-jacket-20-bx-50-cs-2#product_detail

Gun Zone Deals has cases of Tula ammo at 50 cents per round.  I was thinking Tula was a little less than that, but not much.

Here is PMC for .50 a round. Brass case and boxer primed. I’m sure the ban will make a difference, I don’t believe it will be a drastic increase in price at this time. Of course I could very well be completely wrong.

https://trueshotgunclub.com/ammunition/rifle-ammo/223-rem/pmc/pmc-bronze-223-rem-55-grain-fmj-1000-rounds/?avad=211021_f237fc6c9

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2021, 07:28:19 AM »
Wolf Gold is, IIRC, made in Taiwan. It wouldn't surprise  me to find out a lot of "Russian " brands had opened plants in other countries over the last 10 years or so.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2021, 12:21:16 PM »
Which reminds me. Back to shopping for an air rifle.

44-50 cal air rifle is on my list.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2021, 12:28:17 PM »
The 3D printed gun crowd is working on do it yourself propellant.  I'll just make my own ammo before I switch to air guns.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2021, 12:52:20 PM »
The 3D printed gun crowd is working on do it yourself propellant.  I'll just make my own ammo before I switch to air guns.

Keep looking on and off for something to plink with without having to my tap into my rimfire stash where it's increasing by the day costing more to replenish. Also having something to quietly take out small game without dealing with a suppressor tax stamp is a bonus.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2021, 01:29:53 PM »
Keep looking on and off for something to plink with without having to my tap into my rimfire stash where it's increasing by the day costing more to replenish. Also having something to quietly take out small game without dealing with a suppressor tax stamp is a bonus.

I have a .38 Special load I worked up for my Marlin 1894C about a dozen or so years ago that fits that niche.
Very quiet load out of the rifle, not much louder that a .22 short out of a revolver and considerably quieter than a .22 LR out of a rifle.
I need to look through my ammo stash to see if I have any left. I know I have it documented in my notes with chronograph results and a couple of saved targets. It's cast lead (straight wheel weights probably) 158 gr. lrnfp (Lee mold) over a light charge of Unique. at 25 yards I could cut single hole groups all day. I did knock off a couple of long eared garden thieves with it but moved on to other shiny goals before I'd full rung it out. Time to revisit it I think
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2021, 02:11:06 PM »
The only Russian stuff I shoot is out of my AK/SKS.  Purchased quite a bit of Wolf, Brown Bear and Tula stuff back when it was cheap.  Since the cost increase on that stuff, I’ve been reloading 7.62x39 so the ban won’t bother me much.  But, I am not a fan of how it will affect others. 

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2021, 06:40:13 PM »
I'm glad I got a good deal on dies, brass and some bullets for 7.62 not long ago and I already have a mold.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2021, 10:07:58 AM »
Tim at MAC chims in and attempts to inject a bit of sanity into all of this

Russian ammo gone? WAIT! Don't sell those AK's just yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM-riawZ31I
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2021, 12:31:35 PM »
I doubled my money when I sold my 5.45 stash. Should have kept it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2021, 07:00:58 PM »
Tim at MAC chims in and attempts to inject a bit of sanity into all of this

Russian ammo gone? WAIT! Don't sell those AK's just yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM-riawZ31I

Pretty much the same thing I’ve been saying. Suddenly I’ve been seeing a lot of Russian Ammo advertised/promoted. Almost all is the typical 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 7.62x54R, etc. While I do own firearms in these calibers I don’t often shoot them and there are other sources. I really don’t see this affecting overmuch 9mm, 5.56, 45ACP what have you that much. At the same time American, other European and Asian companies are still ramping up production of most calibers.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2021, 08:46:22 PM »
I really don’t see this affecting overmuch 9mm, 5.56, 45ACP what have you that much. At the same time American, other European and Asian companies are still ramping up production of most calibers.
A whole lot of 9mm, 5.56, and 45acp are cheap, steel case, Russian ammo. The people who bought it will either need to shoot less, buy more of other ammo, or a combination of the two.

That will push demand of remaining stock and push prices up.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2021, 08:15:49 AM »
Yeah.

This is going to jack up the price of all ammo, even calibers the Russians don't make.   =(

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2021, 10:32:05 AM »
Seeing ads for "Pre-Ban" ammo   ;/
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2021, 01:46:37 PM »

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2021, 02:14:07 PM »
Funny how they added "Russian" and "from Russia" to all of their Russian made ammo.  Pretty sure that didn't use to be something they pushed.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2021, 02:54:50 PM »
Fiocchi has always been a big name out of Italy.

Fiocchi has a plant in Missouri, and they're building another in Arkansas.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2021, 06:56:46 AM »
Fiocchi has a plant in Missouri, and they're building another in Arkansas.

What's with Arkansas and ammo makers?  That state seems to be the go-to state for new ammo plants these days.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2021, 07:26:15 AM »
What's with Arkansas and ammo makers?  That state seems to be the go-to state for new ammo plants these days.

The Clintons go through a lot of ammo
- Calvin and Hobbes