Author Topic: I flew a drone for the first time today  (Read 340 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
I flew a drone for the first time today
« on: August 21, 2021, 08:36:46 PM »
Three years ago for Christmas, my parents got me a little drone with a 720p camera on board to the tune of around $100.  I never bothered playing with it because the batteries only last ~5 minutes.  Today I finally had a reason to take it out of the box.

The last big rainstorm we got in Connecticut, water came down the chimney and partially flooded our basement.  That has never happened before in the 6 years I've lived here.  Nothing was damaged and the mess was cleaned up with a couple of towels, some strategically placed fans, and our dehumidifier.  Still, I was left wondering if our chimney didn't have a rain guard all this time that was blown off or damaged during that storm.  Then I thought, hey, why not send the drone up there to look?

Spoiler alert:  I shouldn't be a helicopter pilot any time soon.  I did just fine with virtual fixed-wing aircraft in the online WWII game Aces High (even got pretty damn formidable in a Spitfire Mk. IX) but this thing was an enigma at first.  After many crashes including the walk of shame into my neighbor's yard to retrieve it, I got useable footage of my roof and chimney.  All that effort and it doesn't appear there was ever a rain guard.  Just an epic amount of rain in a short period of time.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: I flew a drone for the first time today
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 06:19:47 AM »
Small, toy drones are hard to fly.  The larger consumer and pro-grade drones are much easier to fly.

So, there's your excuse to go buy a better drone.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: I flew a drone for the first time today
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 08:11:28 AM »
Small, toy drones are hard to fly.  The larger consumer and pro-grade drones are much easier to fly.

So, there's your excuse to go buy a better drone.

This.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."