Author Topic: Lets Talk Grease Guns  (Read 4051 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Lets Talk Grease Guns
« on: August 23, 2021, 11:57:15 AM »
I am sick to death of crappy grease guns. Even ones I've paid $40 for are aggravating me as much as the cheapo Harbor Freight one. I use several around the farm. At this point money is no object for at least one high quality grease gun.

Any suggestions? Are lever guns better than pistol grip? I only have had pistol grips and measure grease quantity that way. For instance, I was schooled on my one ag pump that I put five squirts in each zerk every time I run it, but that was with a pistol grip. Do the lever ones put out significantly more quantity per stroke? Easy to load without grease oozing out everywhere is a plus as well.

Recommendations appreciated.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Lets Talk Grease Guns
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 11:58:47 AM »
Clicked on this thread actually expecting it to be about the M3
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 12:35:07 PM »
https://www.zoro.com/lincoln-grease-gun-pistol-grip-handle-7500-psi-1134/i/G1058784/

https://www.zoro.com/macnaught-pistol-grip-grease-gun-flex-ext-k32/i/G8617163/?recommended=true

This might be the bet you can get for a manual grease gun. Lever usually gets you more pressure, but require two hands to pump, sometimes making it hard to get the zerk in straight,
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 02:02:51 PM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 12:58:00 PM »

I had a similar thought ... and regret it's not about a submachine gun ......  [popcorn] 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 12:59:27 PM »
I have an old made in the U S of A lever type with a locking grease zerk fitting that has probably provided 50 years of trouble free service. Probably can’t buy anything like it now…
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 02:23:00 PM by Kingcreek »
What we have here is failure to communicate.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 01:01:55 PM »
???

How are you loading it that grease oozes out?  My cheap ones have many issues, but even they load correctly and easily.

FWIW We have that Lincoln one at the shop, and I didn't find it or the even higher priced Snap-on's to be any better any other.  I think I have a PRO-LUBE right now, and it's fine, but not amazing.  As far as the amount of grease, the gun will be rated for strokes/oz.  So without knowing what you have now it's hard to say exactly.  For example, the gun Bedlamite linked is 33 strokes/oz.  My PRO-LUBE is 40 strokes per oz.  The 5000psi guns will be significantly different.

I'd be interested in Boomhauer's take on this, I imagine he uses a grease gun quite a bit.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 01:13:02 PM »
???

How are you loading it that grease oozes out?  My cheap ones have many issues, but even they load correctly and easily.

I pull the thingy in back, back. Then I drop in a lube tube. Then on the HF ones, the tube always still sticks out a good half inch, so when I put the top on and push it down to screw it on, lube squirts out. It doesn't happen on my Lucas one.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 01:21:44 PM »
I can see how that would be annoying.  If there isn't something on the pistons preventing full seat of the tubes, I'd shitcan those guns.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 01:30:47 PM »

So did I.  =(
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 01:34:18 PM »
Well crap. I grabbed an ammo can of .45 before I clicked.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

PEfarmer

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 01:46:31 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, lever action is totally useless unless you have 3 arms.  Pistol grip all the way.  We've switched to battery powered (milwaukee and makita) and my hand thanks me every time I use them, but we go through about 100 tubes of grease per year.  YMMV.  If sticking with old school, try the lock n lube https://locknlube.com/.  They do actually work and work well and they actually allow for use of a lever action gun.  The one downside is they are tough to use in really tight quarters.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 01:50:35 PM »
"I pull the thingy in back, back."

Is that the thing that goes up?

We should ban grease guns! They have things that go up!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 02:07:26 PM »
"I pull the thingy in back, back."

Is that the thing that goes up?

We should ban grease guns! They have things that go up!
And they can be reloaded with detachable tubes.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2021, 02:24:05 PM »
Lever type is good if you have the lock on fitting.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 07:47:07 AM by Kingcreek »

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 03:05:51 PM »
Gr.

Bait and switch.

But at least I was reminded of the model designation, which I had forgot, so thanks.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2021, 03:41:29 PM »
I’m a Milwaukee fan all the way I’ve had it unclog some seriously frozen joints it honestly makes 10k psi

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2021, 04:25:31 PM »
Alemite. Between the ranch stuff and my brother's equipment fleet, we have a couple dozen scattered around. Never had one fail short of getting run over or crunched in something.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 04:51:03 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2021, 04:48:22 PM »
I keep meaning to get one of these -
https://locknlube.com/products/locknlube-grease-coupler

I've got several grease guns laying around. Most were bought at the local farm and ranch supply store, most are mostly crap.
I was servicing my tractor back in the spring and was using my least crappy grease gun and it just sort of quit pumping out grease, well *expletive deleted*it.
I was dirty and greasy from working on the tractor and didn't want to get cleaned up to go buy a replacement. I happened to notice the old grease gun I had acquired from my late uncle's estate about 10 years ago. I'd be surprised if the thing isn't at least 50 years old. I opened it up and cleaned out the old, hard, slightly crusty grease out of it and loaded it about half full with the grease that I had managed to dump out of my failed grease gun. Damned thing worked like a champ. It needs a new hose but the old hose still worked fine even though most of the outer rubber was peeling off.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2021, 05:54:56 PM »
I keep meaning to get one of these -
https://locknlube.com/products/locknlube-grease-coupler

I was looking at those this morning. Also their grease gun, which looks pretty nifty for doing away with the threaded connector, and was also mentioned by PEfarmer.

I could be talked into battery powered for all the stuff I have to lube around here. I don't go through near as much as PEfarmer, but do use a couple of cases easy in a year. It would kinda need to default to DeWalt just because I've been switching all my old stuff to 20v DeWalt. Unless the DeWalt one is just so crappy that it's worth having a whole nother battery setup to deal with. Though it seems to get good reviews.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2021, 06:25:52 PM »
Yeah that lock n lube thing is what I have on mine.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2021, 06:34:17 PM »
I had a small pistol grip type that I added a hose to. Worked great until I loaned it to a friend. I'll see if it's still around to get brand off of it.

Now I barrow an old friends just like it when I need one. Somehow I haven't been able to smash the tube like happened to mine.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2021, 09:02:24 PM »
So, if you have a problem with a locked-up gizmo...

We have a sort of zert-syringe that you can load with oil, and then you go to pound-town with it.

And it'll blow through a lot of stuff.

FWIW, Bridgeport milling machines have zerts, but are only supposed to be lubed with way oil on the ways - not grease. And a lot of folks will use grease, and then marvel when their table locks...
Blog under construction

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 11:00:24 PM »
Definitely battery. I have childhood trauma because my dad had a cable and clutch track hoe and a small child to lube it. That thing was a case of grease for one lube.

Then in an H-3 squadron it was below my paygrade to grease but everyone ended up covered in it. Grease lubed rotor head from the wayback machine. We used a five gallon bucket or so a week. Some of the kids weren't the slickest at packing a grease gun without the cartridges.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2021, 04:46:45 AM »
So, if you have a problem with a locked-up gizmo...

We have a sort of zert-syringe that you can load with oil, and then you go to pound-town with it.

And it'll blow through a lot of stuff.

FWIW, Bridgeport milling machines have zerts, but are only supposed to be lubed with way oil on the ways - not grease. And a lot of folks will use grease, and then marvel when their table locks...

It’s called a Grease Joint Rejuvenator. I have one but have had far more luck with the high pressure setting on an electric grease gun to clear a clogged joint

Extreme cases you can adapt a porta power to the grease fitting hole and force 10k psi of hydraulic oil in it
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2021, 07:34:09 AM »
Yeah that lock n lube thing is what I have on mine.

Your wife must be a very happy woman...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.