Author Topic: Lets Talk Grease Guns  (Read 4068 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Lets Talk Grease Guns
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2021, 09:53:01 AM »
Your wife must be a very happy woman...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Pump it harder!!!!

And just like that an innocent thread on grease guns derails and bursts into flames.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2021, 10:12:50 AM »
I've not had use for a grease gun in a LONG time.

But, when I collected all the family tools from my Mom's house before she died, my Grandfather's grease gun was part of it, probably from the late 1940s or 1950s. The thing is built like a tank.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2021, 01:46:47 PM »
Well, as per usual, I went overboard. Bought both the Lock and Lube and the DeWalt Battery gun. The Lock and Lube is stand out better quality than any of my other manual guns. It was $80 compared to the $20-$30 I paid for the others, but well worth it I think. I  only did some ATV greasing with it yesterday, but it works well and loads easy.

I did the tractor with the DeWalt this morning. First the kinda negatives: This was a pain to load with a cartridge.  I wonder if most people use bulk grease with these? Maybe there is a trick to it that I haven't figured out yet, though I followed the directions exactly. We'll see what happens with the next cartridge. Once the cartridge was in, it was super easy to purge and get going. The second negative, totally on me, is that I can't gauge how much grease is coming out. I generally have a good feel with a manual pistol gun, but just had no idea here. I was just doing very short hits of the trigger for fear of shooting too much grease in a fitting, which might be my problem.

Otherwise, man, a battery gun is a pleasure to use, especially on something like a tractor with a bajillion zerks, and the DeWalt is built like a tank. Once I get accustomed to it, I think I will be using it a lot.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2021, 01:49:04 PM »
Well, as per usual, I went overboard. Bought both the Lock and Lube and the DeWalt Battery gun. The Lock and Lube is stand out better quality than any of my other manual guns. It was $80 compared to the $20-$30 I paid for the others, but well worth it I think. I  only did some ATV greasing with it yesterday, but it works well and loads easy.

I did the tractor with the DeWalt this morning. First the kinda negatives: This was a pain to load with a cartridge.  I wonder if most people use bulk grease with these? Maybe there is a trick to it that I haven't figured out yet, though I followed the directions exactly. We'll see what happens with the next cartridge. Once the cartridge was in, it was super easy to purge and get going. The second negative, totally on me, is that I can't gauge how much grease is coming out. I generally have a good feel with a manual pistol gun, but just had no idea here. I was just doing very short hits of the trigger for fear of shooting too much grease in a fitting, which might be my problem.

Otherwise, man, a battery gun is a pleasure to use, especially on something like a tractor with a bajillion zerks, and the DeWalt is built like a tank. Once I get accustomed to it, I think I will be using it a lot.

I saw that DeWalt and was going to suggest it but then I remembered you are just a youngster and should be just fine manually pumping a grease gun. Glad to hear a real use review on it.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2021, 04:14:00 PM »
Ha ha. I totally loaded the DeWalt wrong. Unscrewed the wrong end. I knew it looked wrong, but that was the end that unthreaded easy. The top threads seem to be in a bit tight so I might need s strap wrench to break them free the first time. What a dumbass.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2021, 04:22:51 PM »
Unless there are instructions to the contrary I am greasing until I see good grease pushing out.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2021, 04:41:26 PM »
Damn it!

I keep reading the title as, "Let's talk geese guns."

The obvious answer is a long-barreled 12 gauge using heavy shot and high brass ammo.  Maybe a 10 gauge if you're feeling plucky.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2021, 05:04:19 PM »
Unless there are instructions to the contrary I am greasing until I see good grease pushing out.

Though I know in most cases  I shouldn't, I always worry that I did something wrong when I break a seal enough for stuff to come out.

On the other side, my one ag pump just has zerks going to four 6' long hoses down to various locations on the pump and shaft, so I never really know how much grease I'm putting in. That's the one where the pump guys said to do five squeezes of the pistol grip for every 24 hours or so of the pump running.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2021, 05:29:21 PM »

Those battery guns are nice aren’t they? They make it fast and easy and very convenient.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2021, 05:36:58 PM »
Those battery guns are nice aren’t they? They make it fast and easy and very convenient.

10-4! Especially now that I am loading it the right way (just put a new cartridge in)!  :rofl:

Plus the bare tool one was only $140.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2021, 09:54:28 PM »
I guess I'm not the only dumbass that did the DeWalt wrong on the first time. At least I didn't film myself doing it as a how-to video...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

https://youtu.be/tJLBeed8-5o?t=163

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2021, 09:57:26 PM »
Lucas Red'n'Tacky... Works good on MG rails...
Blog under construction

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2021, 10:37:39 PM »
Lucas Red'n'Tacky... Works good on MG rails...

That fits this thread perfectly. I still keep rounding up boxes of .45 when I open this thread.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2021, 11:17:31 PM »
Syringes of colorful grease sell better at gun shows.
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2021, 08:08:33 AM »

I switched to normal greases, oils, and solvents after realizing there wasn’t anything special about about gun stuff except for marketing and jacking up the price.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2021, 09:01:40 AM »
I switched to normal greases, oils, and solvents after realizing there wasn’t anything special about about gun stuff except for marketing and jacking up the price.

*cough* vegetable oil *cough*

Frog Lube: Someone talking about us again?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2021, 09:52:48 AM »
*cough* vegetable oil *cough*

Frog Lube: Someone talking about us again?

That is minty veggie oil to you, sir.  Good day. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2021, 10:39:05 AM »
The syringes are something I guess I don't get.  Do people want to imagine cleaning a gun is more complicated like surgery?  It isn't that hard to apply oil.  You can use a toothpick if you really need to get it in one spot.  The closest I have is Mpro7 bottles that have a pointed tip that makes it easy to get drops in the rail slots.  That is about as detailed as I get.

As far as cost, it is all relative.  Compared to the gun and ammo, gun oil is cheap.  However, even if gun oil has better additives, you can apparently get by with any quality oil. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2021, 12:12:14 PM »
Okay, now let's get this thread back on track!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2021, 06:23:11 PM »
Okay, now let's get this thread back on track!

My grandfather carried one in the Pacific. He spoke highly of it. I wish there was a reasonable priced semi auto clone

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2021, 06:43:55 PM »
I shot a full auto one once at my dealer’s house when I was picking up a suppressor. It was pretty easy to control and not bad for a tube gun but probably not what I would pick given a choice.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2021, 07:08:19 PM »
I guess I'm not the only dumbass that did the DeWalt wrong on the first time. At least I didn't film myself doing it as a how-to video...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

https://youtu.be/tJLBeed8-5o?t=163

I have the Dewalt. I almost did this the first time I loaded it. Why don’t I ever read directions …

The one thing I don’t understand is why they give you a nice plastic case that you can’t use once there is a cartridge in the gun, unless maybe that is something else I missed not reading the instructions.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2021, 08:08:35 PM »
I have the Dewalt. I almost did this the first time I loaded it. Why don’t I ever read directions …

The one thing I don’t understand is why they give you a nice plastic case that you can’t use once there is a cartridge in the gun, unless maybe that is something else I missed not reading the instructions.

I don't have that particular grease gun, but normally,  after the cartridge is loaded and you have released the plunger, you can push the rod and t-handle into the body of the gun manually so it doesn't catch on *expletive deleted*it, and I suspect that would let it fit in its case.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2021, 09:00:30 PM »
I don't have that particular grease gun, but normally,  after the cartridge is loaded and you have released the plunger, you can push the rod and t-handle into the body of the gun manually so it doesn't catch on *expletive deleted*it, and I suspect that would let it fit in its case.

On mine, the t-handle went all the way into the gun easier than any manual one I've had.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2021, 09:24:44 PM »
If you are shooting a bolt gun, grease the back of the bolt lugs with just a touch... Stops galling, keeps things working fast and smoothly...
Blog under construction