Author Topic: Lets Talk Grease Guns  (Read 4064 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Lets Talk Grease Guns
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2021, 09:40:12 PM »
Seriously, there needs to be a rule...   ;/

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

PEfarmer

• friends
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2021, 10:04:49 PM »
Unless there are instructions to the contrary I am greasing until I see good grease pushing out.

Generally not recommended.  This is how you blow out bearing seals.  Number one killer of bearings:  Foreign matter contamination.  Number two: overgreasing.  Once you've blown the seal (ha ha, let's get the joke out of the way now), now you do have to overgrease til death do you part.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2021, 10:23:55 PM »
Generally not recommended.  This is how you blow out bearing seals.  Number one killer of bearings:  Foreign matter contamination.  Number two: overgreasing.  Once you've blown the seal (ha ha, let's get the joke out of the way now), now you do have to overgrease til death do you part.

If you have a tractor from the '40's, the seals are all dry rotted so seeing grease is a good thing. It keeps the water out.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2021, 08:39:47 PM »
Speaking fellatio and marine mammals...

If you have a Chevy Equinox, and I'm not sure which year, check to see if it is one of the things that is prone to the line out of the PCV catching water and then freezing - at which point the engine builds up enough pressure to make the rear seal very unhappy, and then you catastrophically lose ALL your oil...
Blog under construction

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2021, 09:29:24 PM »
That is minty veggie oil to you, sir.  Good day.

Do they have a pumpkin spice offering?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2021, 01:01:24 PM »
Do they have a pumpkin spice offering?

Fall is here, so time to check again. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2021, 03:34:58 PM »
The best luck I've ever had with a grease gun is with the lever type. If you loosen(unscrew) the chuck a little bit, it'll slip on the zerk quite easily. Before you pump, however, don't forget to snug it up before you pump. With the chuck firmly snugged up, you can apply a lot of pressure without it leaking. Don't forget to loosen the chuck before you try to disengage it from the zerk.

Be careful with those zerk fittings that are just pressed in. They'll pop out with the slightest side load or pull on them. I replace all of those with threaded zerks.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2021, 12:49:33 AM »
 I spent hours last night on the SKF site. Bearings are complicated.  They have driver and puller sets that are really something. And induction heaters to warm up bearings. 

my problem with grease guns is remembering what grease is in them, and what the application is. low speed high load high pressure? High speed machine tool spindle? etc etc.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2021, 08:07:40 AM »
There are zerks on my Bridgeport. For pumping oil to the ways... Idjits pump grease into them, then  you have to clean everything out.

As for grease? I like Lucas Red'n'Tacky...
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2021, 09:26:12 AM »
I spent hours last night on the SKF site. Bearings are complicated.  They have driver and puller sets that are really something. And induction heaters to warm up bearings. 

my problem with grease guns is remembering what grease is in them, and what the application is. low speed high load high pressure? High speed machine tool spindle? etc etc.

We have a bearing heater at work but you can also use a toaster oven or a fry daddy with appropriate oil to heat them

I have a good video of me heating up a decent size $1000 bearing and dropping it into place I will try to upload it. We also use liquid nitrogen to shrink s
races for easy drop in
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2021, 03:39:35 PM »
I chickened out and decided not to buy the Milwaukee electric grease gun.  I already have the batteries and charger even, but I just don't have that many things that need grease.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2021, 03:45:33 PM »
I chickened out and decided not to buy the Milwaukee electric grease gun.  I already have the batteries and charger even, but I just don't have that many things that need grease.

It’s worth it if you do gain stuff that needs greased frequently, even a compact tractor if for nothing else it encourages frequent greasing due to the ease of use. When it’s time to repack hydraulic cylinders a well greased loader means the pins almost fall out when taking them apart. Too many of our customers don’t make the operators grease properly and we end up having to burn pins out with a thermal lance. 

A good alternative if one has air is a $75 Lincoln pnuematic grease gun those also work very well.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2021, 04:03:21 PM »
Dammit, Jim, I'm a pilot not a mechanic.  I can't be trusted with power tools.    :laugh:

So tempted to buy that Milwaukee grease gun.  Are you a dealer?  Or just a pimp?  Who pays your commission?   :rofl:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2021, 04:11:37 PM »
Dammit, Jim, I'm a pilot not a mechanic.  I can't be trusted with power tools.    :laugh:

So tempted to buy that Milwaukee grease gun.  Are you a dealer?  Or just a pimp?  Who pays your commission?   :rofl:

I have found the electric grease gun life changing. Buy it. Do it. Do it. Do it now.

https://youtu.be/CpvHx0R2Ytc?t=87
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2021, 05:05:14 PM »
I prefer the pneumatic grease guns over electric, but then I usually have a compressor running when I need grease anyway.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2021, 08:00:31 AM »

I’m just a lazy mechanic who likes to get the most work done for the least effort LOL we do a lot of rent returns and dragging out the big pnuematic grease keg and dealing with its hose or using a manual gun sucks. The Milwaukee also actually puts out an honest 10k PSI and is a great clog buster.

After you get your grease gun let me tell you about the M12 ratchet, the mid torque impact, and the high torque impacts…oh and the work lights don’t let me forget those!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2021, 12:14:14 PM »
I just spent a couple of hours converting my Kubota from summer ops to winter ops.  Mower deck and loader come off, snow blower goes on.  Everything gets washed off and lubed up.  I ran out of grease halfway through the project and had to change the tube on the manual grease gun.  What a pain in the ass.

All of that lead me to this:  Just ordered that Milwaukee electric grease gun.  Even If I use it only twice a year, it will be worth it.

Now I'm looking at those electric ratchets.

Boomhauer really should work on commission.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2021, 01:06:25 PM »
I just spent a couple of hours converting my Kubota from summer ops to winter ops.  Mower deck and loader come off, snow blower goes on.  Everything gets washed off and lubed up.  I ran out of grease halfway through the project and had to change the tube on the manual grease gun.  What a pain in the ass.

All of that lead me to this:  Just ordered that Milwaukee electric grease gun.  Even If I use it only twice a year, it will be worth it.

Now I'm looking at those electric ratchets.

Boomhauer really should work on commission.

You'll love it.

I want to hear more about the electric ratchets and worklights as well. I just picked up a cordless worklight at Costco this last week, since it was $15 off, but I haven't tried it yet. For "under the truck" I've either been using my bigger corded worklight, which is just too dang bright, or those flex arm lights that come with cordless tool sets, which are just too dang dark.

This one is modular so I can use pieces of it in hard to get to areas, but I'd like to hear the Boomhauer's opinion.

https://www.costco.com/epower-360-rechargeable-led-worklight-%2526-spotlight.product.100729951.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2021, 05:02:04 PM »
You'll love it.

I want to hear more about the electric ratchets and worklights as well. I just picked up a cordless worklight at Costco this last week, since it was $15 off, but I haven't tried it yet. For "under the truck" I've either been using my bigger corded worklight, which is just too dang bright, or those flex arm lights that come with cordless tool sets, which are just too dang dark.

This one is modular so I can use pieces of it in hard to get to areas, but I'd like to hear the Boomhauer's opinion.

https://www.costco.com/epower-360-rechargeable-led-worklight-%2526-spotlight.product.100729951.html

Pretty much any of the LED work lights these days are pretty good and there are a ton of choices. Bright, long lasting batteries, and tons of different styles. Because I have to put my light where I’m working and sometimes in what I’m working on I use some small Astro Pnuematic rechargeable lights. They have magnetic and hook bases for sticking to or hanging and flex at the base of the lightbar portion. The really cool part about them is they use a wireless charging pad that magnetically holds them and the pad sticks to your toolbox or a column so no screwing with charging cords and USB lights.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/apt-52sl?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsdHCvYa89AIVlaCGCh2KIgFiEAQYAiABEgLTPfD_BwE

For the cordless ratchets Milwaukee makes a family of great ones, three different generations and short and long neck. They aren’t torque powerhouses but they are great for running down bolts and then you final tighten by hand. Harbor freight, Husky, Makita also make their own versions and I am not sure about DeWalt. They also don’t scream like the air ratchets do.

Milwaukee also makes a right angle impact wrench putting more torque out but fitting in places that the regular impacts don’t. Several brands offer an air version.

More and more previously pnuematic or electric tools are going cordless with the advances in power over the last few years. Milwaukee and IR even make battery powered 1” impacts. They aren’t as powerful as air but they come fairly close without dragging an airline behind you.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2021, 04:09:46 PM »
All of a sudden the most important grease gun factor became this-"do not waste grease". yikes.

https://www.hermance.com/Industrial/SCM-Parts_2/High-Speed-Spindle-Grease-Isoflex-NBU-15

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2022, 07:19:07 PM »
Reviving the thread for an update.

It's "every damn thing needs to be greased up all the time" season again for the next six months, and man, do I just love the battery grease gun. One of the best recommendations any of you guys ever gave me here!  :laugh:

I was keeping a manual gun at each of my irrigation pumps with the cheap grease they take, but am now just carrying the DeWalt with me in the SxS wherever I go and just using the Tractor Supply red lithium grease on every damn thing on the farm.

Anyway, what a great and pleasure to use tool.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2022, 08:01:25 PM »
Every time this thread pops back up, I say to  myself, self I have a bucket full of .45.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2022, 09:10:18 PM »
Every time this thread pops back up, I say to  myself, self I have a bucket full of .45.

I have 4 mags, but nothing to use them in.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2022, 10:30:48 PM »
I have 4 mags, but nothing to use them in.

Sounds like project time.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2022, 10:34:29 PM »
Sounds like project time.

Got a bunch of those too.