Author Topic: This Anti-Air Conditioning Article Has it All  (Read 2018 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: This Anti-Air Conditioning Article Has it All
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2022, 08:00:41 AM »
The one thing I've missed seeing this year are the sanctimonious posts from some of my European facebook friends about how America is so soft because we're addicted to AC.

I guess the heat waves that they've been having have show them that they need to shut the *expletive deleted*ck up and work on being tougher.

As I told one person the other year who was bitching about the heat... You know what we call that in my region of America?

We call that July and August. A MILD July and August.

I don't think she appreciated my candor.

BIL from Switzerland was like that until he came for a visit in the summer and got a full taste of the heat and humidity here.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2022, 12:08:19 PM »
Had a coworker years ago who grew up in Germany in the North, pretty close to the sea, IIRC.

She said she got a really rude shock when she moved to DC after she got married. She was in no way prepared for the heat and got a case of heat stroke her first year here because she wasn't acclimated and didn't take proper precautions.

There's a reason why many European countries considered a diplomatic posting to DC a tropical posting.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2022, 03:40:29 AM »
And why bathe?  It's just a waste of hot water and soap.

Tsk-tsk.  You Americans.  What softies.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2022, 10:23:48 AM »
Maybe this is part of what's behind the rulers obsession with importing Africans, South Americans and people from the ME. They aren't accustomed to A/C and won't complain when it goes away.

Don't forget the hidden part of this, refrigeration. Global supply chains and food storage all rely on the same technology but at magnitudes of scale larger than your residential 5 ton A/C unit. I've worked on systems that had racks of compressors where one of the compressors had enough capacity to air condition two fairly decent size houses.

Some very large restaurants have enough A/C and refrigeration tonnage to be equivalent to a street and cul-de-sac of small homes. Particularly with the high fresh air/building air exchange requirements for public spaces. Air conditioning return air with 10-15% outside air blended in that's 95 degrees with 85% humidity requires a lot of A/C tonnage. Then all the conditioned air that is getting blown own the kitchen exhaust fans also needs to be replaced. Unless the make up air system is really well designed (rare) conditioned air gets pumped right out the roof.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 10:35:49 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2022, 10:35:18 AM »
And why bathe?  It's just a waste of hot water and soap.

Tsk-tsk.  You Americans.  What softies.

Love how they always want a one size fits all water use plan. In other word if California has a water shortage and has to restrict water usage then people in Ky should be forced to use the same restrictions and shower heads, toilets etc.. We don't have a water shortage here so why I should be forced to live like someone in Caili or Nevada etc...? You live in a flipping desert I don't. Heck we're bailing out half the time.
And they love playing the guilt game, Jamal in Uganda doesn't have enough clean drinking water, insert picture of sad child, so you need to use less water. Explain to me how does me using less water in Ky gives Jamal more clean drinking water in Uganda?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2022, 12:21:58 PM »
Love how they always want a one size fits all water use plan. In other words if California has a water shortage and has to restrict water usage then people in Ky should be forced to use the same restrictions and shower heads, toilets etc.. We don't have a water shortage here so why I should be forced to live like someone in Cali or Nevada etc...? You live in a flipping desert I don't. Heck we're bailing out half the time.
And they love playing the guilt game, Jamal in Uganda doesn't have enough clean drinking water, insert picture of sad child, so you need to use less water. Explain to me how does me using less water in Ky gives Jamal more clean drinking water in Uganda?

Theoretically at least, that's why there are 50 Provinces in the U.S.  Different Provinces with different weather and different populations might require different laws, but I think there is the growing philosophy that we should all act under the same laws.

It's kind of a "Globalization" on a U.S. Province-by-Province basis.

I find the idea that there is  a single force trying to homogenize the world population somewhat possible, if unprovable.

Terry, 230RN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2022, 03:00:07 PM »
"Explain to me how does me using less water in Ky gives Jamal more clean drinking water in Uganda?"

BECAUSE REASONS, YOU RACIST BASTARD!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2022, 03:08:26 PM »
"Explain to me how does me using less water in Ky gives Jamal more clean drinking water in Uganda?"

BECAUSE REASONS, YOU RACIST BASTARD!

Plenty of water where I live. Folks around the country who have never been around the great lakes may not have a good mental picture of just how much water they hold.

When I was a teen my cousins from Florida came up to visit. We took them to downtown Chicago to a festival held on the lakefront and checked out the beach. They were flabbergasted at the immensity of it and the size of the waves crashing ashore. My one cousin actually asked "can you ever see Michigan?"  =D They both were surprised at how oceanlike it appeared.

Flying in a float plane from Isle Royale back to the UP over a very angry Lake Superior in rough weather was a puckering adventure. Lots of water there.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2022, 08:15:33 PM »
It is strange to not be in an ocean and lose sight of land.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2022, 07:29:55 AM »
Trivium:

For a six-foot person standing at sea level, the horizon is about three miles away.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:52:40 AM by 230RN »

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2022, 12:08:08 AM »
It is strange to not be in an ocean and lose sight of land.

The Lake Pontchartrain bridge is the same way.  You look out to the east or west sides of the bridge and you can actually see the curvature of the Earth in the distance.  Freaky.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”