Author Topic: Keeping a sword or machete in Washington DC hotel?  (Read 989 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Keeping a sword or machete in Washington DC hotel?
« on: September 03, 2021, 02:43:03 AM »
This has also been posted at THR but the traffic of the particular forum posted has low traffic, so I'll post it here as well:

So my wife has surprised me with a week-long trip to a family's beach house on Long Island followed immediately by another week-long stay at a fairly nice hotel in Washington DC on the Potomac (Canopy by Hilton "The Wharf" or something along that name).

My last few trips to NYC were uncomfortable for me as all I had to defend my family with was a pink T-ball bat. This from someone who always carries outside of the house, even to the mailbox.

I'm finding some conflicting information regarding knives and swords in DC. I'm hoping some here to have experience with this area can set me straight.

Can I keep a machete or even a sword (see the items I currently have below) in my hotel room according to DC law? I'm not overly concerned with Hilton hotel policy, just what the law allows.

I've come to the understanding after some Googling that my wife and I can both carry pepper spray while traveling in the area. Knives seems to be a grey area that I'm not sure if I want to enter into.

So, can I keep either (or both) of the below items in our personal vehicle or hotel room without running afoul of DC law? It could go without saying but in case it really matters, neither my wife nor I have anything on our record, not even a speeding ticket... ever.

Thicker than a machete, so likely to be considered a sword by most:

Thinner than the above and considered a machete by the manufacturer:

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Keeping a sword or machete in Washington DC hotel?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 05:30:52 AM »
https://knifeup.com/knife-laws-in-washington-d-c/

In Washington DC, it is legal to own any knife as long as it is not a switchblade. This includes belt knives, Bowies, and any other knife you can think of. However, leave the knife at home and do not carry the knife if it does not have any utility purposes. This would mean that the knife is a deadly weapon and is a felony.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 07:44:11 AM »
Putter or sand wedge?
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 07:59:26 AM »
I'm no expert or badass or anything, but the phrase, "Nobody wins in a knife fight" has always stuck with me. If it's your last resort, do what you gotta do. Otherwise in a place like DC, I would look for whatever "stand off" defense I could carry. Either the pepper spray, or the golf club Bogie mentioned (kept in your room, not walking around with it obviously), or similar. I mean, I guess a sword is scarier looking than a golf club or baseball bat, however I'm not sure it's that much more effective unless you've trained.

In a place like DC, that doesn't let you defend yourself, situational awareness is your best friend. There are areas and times of day in DC where you will be as safe as most any big city. Do a bit of research on what you want to see and routes to and from your hotel to get to it. Stay in well-lit and crowded areas at night.

Also think of non-weapon defense, like hardening your hotel room with a door alarm or similar.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 08:02:12 AM »
Back when I was working for the consulting company, some of the guys were amazed that the hotel staff wouldn't let them walk a few blocks to a restaurant, but insisted, for safety, that they take the hotel van... I doubt that things are any better.
Blog under construction

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 08:35:36 AM »
You can get away with a heavy cane or walking stick anywhere.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 08:39:56 AM »
You can get away with a heavy cane or walking stick anywhere.
Except at Bogie's store.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 08:41:13 AM »
OC spray and a kubotan for striking.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 09:00:01 AM »
Totally veering Snowdog's thread, but I got curious if an expandable baton would be legal in DC. I did an Amazon search and was cracking up. There must be some algorithm on Amazon that keeps expandable batons off the site. Instead, I found "hand exercisers" and "portable flagpoles".  :rofl:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=expandable+baton&crid=36FOUYNICJ8G5&sprefix=expandable+ba%2Caps%2C276&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_13
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 10:00:10 AM »
I would be more comfortable with the baseball bat to be honest.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2021, 10:26:13 AM »
I would be more comfortable with the baseball bat to be honest.

My one cane is about that good.  F*er's heavy, with a big round knob on the business end.  Picked it up at a garage sale when I was much younger, figuring I might make use of it some day.

My "social distancing support bludgeon".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 11:41:44 AM »
https://www.coldsteel.com/walking-sticks-canes/

I bought the Blackthorn and the Walkabout walking sticks back when I was really having trouble with my left hip.  I flew with the Walkabout stick with no problems although they did run it through the X-ray.  They were careful to ask if I could stand up unaided while they ran it through the X-ray.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2021, 11:46:01 AM »
My "social distancing support bludgeon".

Shillelagh!
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 01:59:28 PM »
Just put your keys in between your knuckles. Best self defense evar!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2021, 11:02:32 PM »
Perd, my new boss, who came to our store from southwest county, pretty far out in the county, has the _cutest_ little pink hand-held stunner. About the size a pack of cigarettes.

Sooner or later, he's gonna leave it on his desk, and I just might test it. I remember a Knob Creek trip where one of the kids bought something similar for his girlfriend, and later that night we passed it around the campfire whiskey circle... Some folks said they actually felt it.
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2021, 11:22:25 PM »
Many years ago, I was looking over the various stunners at one of the vendors at a local gun show.  One of the devices he had was a "baton" that he claimed was the most powerful one he had.  It had two pointed probes on the end, then about a dozen more running in pairs along the length of the baton.  While he was chatting up another potential customer, I turned it on and stuck the end to my right thigh.  You could hear it "crackle" but I barely felt it on my skin under my jeans and the thigh muscles didn't even twitch.

Vendor was not pleased.
  >:D  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2021, 11:31:11 PM »
"Except at Bogie's store."

The district manager was in today. And it was a busy day, with one of the major players on vacation.

SOB didn't help out for squat.

And got told "I'm scampering around, because that's how we do business. This bleep hurts like a muthableeper, but we're getting it done. Now, Let's get it done."

I don't think I'll be walking a lot tomorrow. Holiday weekend tho. Gonna have at least one poor soul show up with a dead car, hundreds of miles from home.
Blog under construction

Pb

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2021, 08:30:57 AM »

You are just looking for an excuse to buy a sword aren't you?

(Yeah, I've been there!)   =D

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2021, 09:29:00 AM »

You are just looking for an excuse to buy a sword aren't you?

(Yeah, I've been there!)   =D
Think twice about buying a sword from a TV infomercial:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e77oXjFkIs&ab_channel=ThisGoodThing
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2021, 10:14:58 AM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2021, 10:15:55 AM »

Do not give a sword to a cat. Cats are homicidal enough as it is. Do not give a sword to a cat.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2021, 01:28:44 PM »
Do not give a sword to a cat. Cats are homicidal enough as it is. Do not give a sword to a cat.

What about a catana?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2021, 12:29:58 AM »
newyorker raises hand

generally, if you're a "good guy" cops in the big east coast agencies have better things to do than jack a visiter around for a blade.
as long as you don't have a gun on you, any charge will get pled down, if you even get one.
a friend of mine killed a guy with a bowie knife in self defense in the early 90's. walked away scot free.

I wouldn't even worry.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2021, 08:36:03 AM »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2021, 09:28:13 AM »
Speaking of DC

Close the Giggle Switch Loophole!

ATF Not Amused by the Number of ‘Giggle Switches’ Turning Up on District of Columbia Streets
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/atf-not-amused-by-the-number-of-giggle-switches-turning-up-on-district-of-columbia-streets/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes