Author Topic: Last cigarette was four years ago.  (Read 766 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Last cigarette was four years ago.
« on: September 07, 2021, 07:34:15 AM »
07 SEP 2017

Don't miss 'em a bit.

Was not easy, but was doable with grit and determination.

No "programs," but I cut a small 1-1/4" square of lightweight aluminum to hold between my fingers and blow on to make it spin.  I was thinking to patent that, but figured I'd let it go for the benefit of Humanity. 

The other thing was kind of making a game of predicting my next craving... like after hanging up a telephone, or pouring a cup of coffee, or getting going in the car, or getting done with almost any chore or task.  Out would come the aluminum square.

The worst thing was with writing.  I used to smoke like crazy while writing; the concentrating on the task made me lose track of the fact that I was chain-smoking... and as above, each paragraph was like a task ending, so I'd frequently light up another without thinking about it.

Going #2 was a problem, too.  Yeah, yeah, you laugh, but think about it.

Oh, and the money.  I was spending over 5 big ones a year on smoking.

Still not easy but I dood it.

Four years.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 08:08:45 AM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Last cigarette was four years ago.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 08:00:53 AM »
Congratulations! The old man always said that willpower was one of the best human traits.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 08:18:41 AM »
Nice. I need to give it another try.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 10:32:13 AM »
Congrats! Nine years and counting for me.

Nice. I need to give it another try.

Try vape. Seriously. Get a tobacco-flavored juice with middle-of-the-road nicotine levels so you can still puff, but without all the carcinogens and nasty smell of cigs. That's what's kept me off smokes for most of a decade. Way cheaper, too. I figure I have about twenty bucks a month in juice and coils.

Brad

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 02:06:21 PM »

Try vape. Seriously. Get a tobacco-flavored juice with middle-of-the-road nicotine levels so you can still puff, but without all the carcinogens and nasty smell of cigs. That's what's kept me off smokes for most of a decade. Way cheaper, too. I figure I have about twenty bucks a month in juice and coils.

Brad

Yep. Vaping with decreasing levels of nicotine to zero is what got my father to quit plus it’s a hell of a lot cheaper
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 02:12:11 PM »
Congrats on keeping it up. I would never lecture people on the detrimental health effects of smoking, they know them. I would point out the cost and other things they could do with the money, maybe it helped, maybe it didn't but it planted the seed. :)

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 02:22:43 PM »

Brad

Well, if substitutes work, all the better, but after several tries with electronic cigs and the like, I decided that didn't work for me.

Same thing when I quit drinking.  I will not drink alcohol-free beer because it triggered the same engrams in my head (hence, desire) for real beer.  I used to love beer with pizza, but even today, 28 years after quitting drinking, I still think twice when I'm going to have pizza.

It's OK, but it's like the anticipation game I noted in the OP:  "Ha-ha, gotcha, you damned craving.  Now go away and let me be."

Good on you, Brad, but substitutes are not for me.  I just quit, went through the agony for a week, ten days or so (in both cases), and "walked it off."  On the other hand, I would never condemn substitutes for anyone else.  Whatever works.

It even took a while for the "I wonder if I have enough for the weekend" thoughts to go away when driving by a liquor store.  (At the time, liquor stores in Colorado were closed by law on Sundays.)

Terry, "Less noble than all this would make you think," 230RN

ETA: Thanks, BobR.  Agreed. Posted this before I saw your post.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 02:36:43 PM by 230RN »

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 02:24:22 PM »
Well, if substitutes work, all the better, but after several tries with electronic cigs and the like, I decided that didn't work for me.

Same thing when I quit drinking.  I will not drink alcohol-free beer because it triggered the same engrams in my head (hence, desire) for real beer.  I used to love beer with pizza, but even today, 28 years after quitting drinking, I still think twice when I'm going to have pizza. It's OK, but it's like the anticipation game I noted in the OP.

Nope.  Good on you, but not for me.  Just quit, go through the agony for a week, ten days or so (in both cases), and "walk it off."

It even took a while for the "I wonder if I have enough for the weekend" thoughts to go away when driving by a liquor store.  (At the time, liquor stores were closed by law on Sundays.)

Terry, "Less noble than all this would make you think," 230RN

Congrats were for you. Quitting ain't easy.

Vape recommendation was for K-frame.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 06:35:23 PM »
Congrats.  I remember when you decided to quit.  I admire your moxie.  I quit maybe 20+ years ago.  Though I have had maybe 10 cigs total over that 20 some years at a campfire after a few beers.

I have emphysema that started up about late 2019, thanks to those dang things.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 10:01:18 PM »
Congrats on the nixing cigarettes anniversary, Terry.  Good job.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 09:26:19 AM »
Like Terry, for me it was the habit/time thing.  Get in the car to drive to work, light one up.  Get in the car to drive home, light one up.  Head to my workshop to surf the net, light one up.  So, it was about changing the habits.  Don't go to my workshop after wife heads to bed.  Playing XBOX instead of surfing.  XBOX is inside the house.  No smoking in the house.  The driving thing...I cleaned the car really well, and (mostly) killed the smoke smell, so making myself not smoke in the car so it doesn't get the smell back.

I'm only coming up on 3 months (since June 17), but I'm doing it this time.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 10:29:29 AM »
Glad to hear from you on this topic and especially glad to hear about the three months.

I will say this.  It's sure harder to get through that three months than my four years.  Like I said, I don't miss 'em a bit.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2021, 03:29:57 PM »
It gets easier and easier the further you get away from that last cigarette. My worst issue was weight gain after quitting.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2021, 03:43:06 PM »
Congrats!  I "quit" after 1 cigarette in 2nd grade.  The post chaplain's son led me astray before his sister ratted us out.  ;)
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2021, 04:21:46 PM »
Like Terry, for me it was the habit/time thing.  Get in the car to drive to work, light one up.  Get in the car to drive home, light one up.  Head to my workshop to surf the net, light one up.  So, it was about changing the habits.  Don't go to my workshop after wife heads to bed.  Playing XBOX instead of surfing.  XBOX is inside the house.  No smoking in the house.  The driving thing...I cleaned the car really well, and (mostly) killed the smoke smell, so making myself not smoke in the car so it doesn't get the smell back.

I'm only coming up on 3 months (since June 17), but I'm doing it this time.
Those situational habits can be pretty strong.  I don't smoke, but that applies for me with snacking or other bad habits.

My grandfather smoked.  When we visited when I was a kid the smoke from his cigarettes almost always drifted right at me.  I guess that was one reason I was never tempted to start.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2021, 05:05:34 PM »
Good for you !
You found something that worked for you and persevered.

Personal note - as a student at a certain southern IL-ANNOY college in the mid-70s, there were hawkers passing out 5 cig boxes of "Merit" brand to promote the brand.  I had actually started smoking a pipe the year before as a freshman, but I never actually inhaled as I coughed uncontrollably.  By the end of college, I had switched to cigars for the convenience, portability, and variety.  I didn't inhale those either and, after the death of a beloved grandparent shortly before my 21st birthday, I cut back on the cigars as well.  The last one I had was after I got some in Key West in 2003.  The only "inhaling" I ever did was NOT a "tobacco product" and haven't done that in 40 years.
  >:D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2021, 07:09:34 PM »
Congrats!  I "quit" after 1 cigarette in 2nd grade.  The post chaplain's son led me astray before his sister ratted us out.  ;)

Hilarious.

,... to the barkeeper, who was seeing the chaplain's wife.

Terry, "Good Story Puncher-Upper," 230RN

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2021, 09:30:06 AM »
Congrats.  I quit cigs in 1990 and have picked up another smoking habit in the last 3 years…

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2021, 10:28:12 AM »
I went the cigar route, too, but discovered I was inhaling anyhow.  Besides, I was smoking tiparillos and I was starting to find the plastic tips all over the place. 

So I went back to square one with cigarettes. Rats.