Author Topic: Poland at loggerheads with the EU...  (Read 965 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Poland at loggerheads with the EU...
« on: October 27, 2021, 08:49:20 AM »
Anyone following this?

Essentially, Poland's supreme court has issued a series of rulings that some EU laws are contrary to the Polish Constitution, so those EU laws are null and void.

That's setting the stage for a very interesting battle between the entities, and has led to the EU's top court ordering Poland to suspend its Supreme Court.

The latest is that the EU is demanding Poland pay a penalty of 1 million Euros a day for every day it ignores the EU court's ruling.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/27/poland-ordered-to-pay-1-million-euros-a-day-in-law-battle-with-the-eu.html

There have been a number of EU/member state crises before, the most notable being the Greek monetary debacle and Great Britain's withdrawal, but this one is fundamentally different in that it goes to the very heart of whose law takes precedence in a nation.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Poland at loggerheads with the EU...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 08:55:46 AM »
I hadn't heard of that, but I am glad to see Poland's judges had the balls to make those rulings.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 09:16:15 AM »
I think many European countries are getting to the "last straw" point with the EU. While the German government is pretty pro-EU, even there, the citizens are grumbling. I can't have a single conversation with most any of my relatives - even some of the liberal ones - without them going off about something the EU is doing.

I'd love to see countries like Poland and the Czech Republic pull a Brexit.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 09:31:06 AM »
I think many European countries are getting to the "last straw" point with the EU. While the German government is pretty pro-EU, even there, the citizens are grumbling. I can't have a single conversation with most any of my relatives - even some of the liberal ones - without them going off about something the EU is doing.

Such things usually happen very gradually, and then quite suddenly.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 09:48:30 AM »
Another example of how one govt would never work for long without very harsh subjugation. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 10:01:47 AM »
What still amazes me is that the EU, which has no formal Constitution, is telling the Poles to essentially jettison their Constitution.

The EU states that they have a Constitutional Charter (Lisbon Treaty), which is sort of, maybe, kind of, could be equivalent to a formal Constitution, but maybe, sort of, kind of, not.

The EU has tried to craft a formal Constitution, but each time they've tried the process has collapsed under its own weight.

The US Constitution is what, 4 hand written pages?

Last draft of the European Constitution was, IIRC, something like 3,900 pages long and it still wasn't considered to be complete.

The Treaty of Lisbon, however, took care of any further attempts at a full Constitution by formally rejecting one.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 10:33:47 AM »
Interesting how the linked story in the OP says nothing about WHAT the actual conflicting rulings dealt with.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 10:50:08 AM »
I've been to Poland, the people don't like being controlled by someone else. Too many recent years of Soviet, NAZI and German control.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 10:54:01 AM »
Interesting how the linked story in the OP says nothing about WHAT the actual conflicting rulings dealt with.

It appears to be about how Poland appoints and holds accountable their judiciary.

https://www.thefirstnews.com/article/eu-court-orders-poland-to-suspend-supreme-court-disciplinary-chamber-23308
The ruling follows the European Commission's decision in October 2019 to take Poland to the CJEU. The Commission argued that a Disciplinary Chamber under the Polish Supreme Court, set up in 2017 by the ruling coalition to take disciplinary measures against judges, violated judicial independence in that it could have a "chilling effect" on judges, and thus ran against EU law.

Here's some AP drivel on the arguments over EU law vs. National constitution.  It also deals with Poland's Judiciary:
https://apnews.com/article/european-union-poland-europe-courts-1175aa5efa731c9cac6189443eee3f9c

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 10:56:29 AM »

Yeah, I was surprised that they didn't have links in the article to the other articles that they've run on this situation. Easy to find on google, though.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 11:01:52 AM »
From the linked AP article...

"The ruling obliged Poland’s right-wing government that had introduced the regulations — which gave politicians influence over judicial appointments — to discontinue them and to observe the independence of justice."

It would be really interesting to see the EU's take on the machinations that have been going on with the US Supreme Court the last couple of years, especially with the Dems threatening to pack the court. But of course that's not a political move at all...

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 11:11:02 AM »

Hungary as well, sounds like it's fed up.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 11:53:28 AM »
The EU is in no position to be ordering Poland to do anything.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 12:56:12 PM »
I'd love to see the EU break up.

Maybe this will be another little pebble that forms an avalanche.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 01:07:39 PM »
15-17 years ago I said the EU was doomed.  For reasons fairly consistent with what is happening now.  Back then I said it might last another 20-50 years.  Looks like like that’s still about right too. 

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 01:13:46 PM »
Governments letting hordes of culturally-incompatible people swarm their countries and distress their citizens has accelerated the process I think.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2021, 01:18:35 PM »
Governments letting hordes of culturally-incompatible people swarm their countries and distress their citizens has accelerated the process I think.

It doesn't help that unelected bureaucrats in Brussels run people's lives to the point of telling them what vacuum cleaner they are allowed to buy or how many sheets of TP they can use.

My relatives do complain about the unchecked immigration, but their bigger complaints are the "micro-regulations" constantly coming out of EU HQ.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2021, 01:58:34 PM »
"It doesn't help that unelected bureaucrats in Brussels run people's lives to the point of telling them what vacuum cleaner they are allowed to buy or how many sheets of TP they can use."

Bought a flush toilet or a dishwasher lately?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2021, 03:12:58 PM »

Bought a flush toilet or a dishwasher lately?

Or just a flippin' shower head?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2021, 03:18:42 PM »
Or just a flippin' shower head?

Take the restrictor out.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2021, 03:23:35 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2021, 09:46:28 AM »
Take the restrictor out.

That's a crime punishable by death in the EU.

Of course, since they're weenies who don't believe in the death penalty, they'll just give you a death sentence and convert it to life in prison.

Which in the EU actually means no more than 10 years.