Author Topic: 22,000 Y.O. Underwater Site - Mastodon Skull and Stone Tool  (Read 562 times)

MechAg94

• friend
22,000 Y.O. Underwater Site - Mastodon Skull and Stone Tool
« on: September 09, 2021, 09:34:23 AM »
Came across this today.  Thought I would share.  Mastadon and stone tool dredged up in 1974. 

22,000 Y.O. Underwater Site ~ Chesapeake Bay Mastodon, Tool & Solutreans?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYzjvxgRCjk

Fisherman Pulls Up Beastly Evidence of Early Americans
https://www.livescience.com/47289-mastodon-found-under-chesapeake-bay.html

This happened in 1974 so it isn't a new discovery.  Apparently someone took another look at the story recently.  Not sure if anyone has gone looking for more.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: 22,000 Y.O. Underwater Site - Mastodon Skull and Stone Tool
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 09:39:07 AM »
Also found was a yard rock with "Biden for Senate" chiseled into it
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 09:54:21 AM »
I really like these kinds of stories, and not just to stick it to the global warming doomsayers. It's just really interesting to see changes in the Earth over time and to try and wrap my head around the timeframes. It really show how insignificant our worries over the next 20 or 100 years are.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 06:57:40 AM »
I'm never too surprised at finding fossils here there and everywhere.  Colorado has its Dinosaur Park where fossils just sort of stick out of the ground and you can walk in the fossil footprints of the ancient beasts.

This story of the trawler hauling up a mastodon skull did not make a big splash at the time --it took a you tuber to rediscover and publicize it.  And similar stone tools?  Well, big deal; form follows function. The presentation was very redundant and a pet peeve of mine is that sing-song vocal patttern where every statement comes out like a question.. Don't know why, but it really irks me and I don't have all that many irks.

When I think Chesapeake Bay I always think of the 1.9 mile meteor that hit there 35 million years ago and the Target Ship "American Mariner," (one of several):

Terry

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay_impact_crater
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 07:02:11 PM by 230RN »