Author Topic: The Matrix: Resurrections  (Read 3339 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
The Matrix: Resurrections
« on: September 09, 2021, 10:07:42 AM »
Trailer dropped this morning.

https://youtu.be/Fgt8IZkKkFU

The original is a guilty pleasure. Reloaded was okay. Revolution was corny and a little off the rails, but decently entertaining if you've nothing else to watch. This looks... okay? Maybe even a little better than okay? Have to admit the trailer has my attention.

IMDB shows a lot of OG cast returning, though with a few obvious omissions.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10838180/

Judging by Lawrence Fishburn's ample physique in Ant Man and Wasp, he no longer has the look or physicality to pull off Morpheus. Hugo Weaving's Agent Smith would have been a nice call back, even if it was only something they played as a passing gag, maybe a voice from some machine that made Neo stop and turn.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: The Matrix: Resurrections
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 04:37:32 PM »
Hopefully that's not the best 2.5 minutes in the film.

White Rabbit is a nice touch.  "The ones that mother gives you, never do anything at all."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 04:58:26 PM »
The trailer didn't do much for me.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 05:02:46 PM »
I was "multitasking" the other day and had youtube on the TV running random videos. Wasn't paying too close attention and thought it was a John Wick/matrix crossover trailer at first.  :rofl:

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 06:24:49 PM »
It looks interesting.  Wachowski movis are hit or miss for me, but some I really like.

If I have caved and paid for HBO Max by December, I'd watch it.  Probably won't trek to a theater though.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 08:44:58 PM »
They should have stopped at the original.  The 2nd and 3rd were progressively worse and pretty much abandoned the goal from the first.

Looking at this trailer, I can't tell exactly what it is.  Be interesting to find out.  Looks like it will be better than a lot of other stuff lately.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 08:50:06 PM »
My ratings: #1, 10/10

#2, 8/10.  The highway chase set to Mona Lisa Overdrive by Juno Reactor tips that scale heavily.

#3, 6/10.  Setpiece action scenes were too frenetic and not personal in nature.  Mechs vs. squiddies primarily, if I recall correctly.

I'm cautiously optimistic about #4.  Neo's apparent amnesia is a suspicious trope, though having indulged in the same in my own writing, I'm willing to give it a shot.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 09:04:03 PM »
I agree that the original stands alone as a seminal work.

But White Rabbit got me going, and the chemistry between Reeves and Moss looks good.  I'll go see this in the theater.

I'm holding out hope for Weaving to show up in it despite not being present in the trailer, but I admit I haven't done any research to see if he made cast at all for it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 09:49:43 PM »
So I guess Agent Smith kills his dog in this one?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 09:53:18 PM »
They should have stopped at the original.

Agreed. 
The 2nd and 3rd were progressively worse and pretty much abandoned the goal from the first.

Looking at this trailer, I can't tell exactly what it is. Be interesting to find out.  Looks like it will be better than a lot of other stuff lately.

Getting the Band back together?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 09:57:06 PM »
Possible spoiler alert

Spoiler mode on

I think almost everyone missed the hints in the originals that there is a matrix within a matrix possibly within a matrix with the "real" world itself one of those matrixes. Clues were dropped here and there. Listen carefully to what the architect says. It would also explain how Nero suddenly had powers in the "real" world and why he could still see despite being blinded.
Don't ask me to list the clues as it been a long time since I've seen the movies.

Spoiler mode off
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 10:12:49 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 10:05:55 PM »
They should have stopped at the original.  The 2nd and 3rd were progressively worse and pretty much abandoned the goal from the first.

This. 

I have no interest at all watching them rape the corpse of that franchise for money.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2021, 11:13:30 PM »
Possible spoiler alert

Spoiler mode on

I think almost everyone missed the hints in the originals that there is a matrix within a matrix possibly within a matrix with the "real" world itself one of those matrixes. Clues were dropped here and there. Listen carefully to what the architect says. It would also explain how Nero suddenly had powers in the "real" world and why he could still see despite being blinded.
Don't ask me to list the clues as it been a long time since I've seen the movies.

Spoiler mode off
I have heard that before.  It sounds neat.  But just like the multiverse in Marvel, it could be cool, but in reality they will screw it up and it will be a disaster.  The quality of Hollywood writeing seems to be pretty low these days. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2021, 07:25:12 AM »
I gotta see it. The original was the best for sure but the rest provided more info to backward interpret the original. If you want to be really depressing you could end this new one with Reaves back as a battery, in fact never left, just a whole bunch of buggy patches and updates the machines tried to install.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 09:37:21 AM »

Watched #2 and #3, once only, long ago.  Details are fuzzy.  I wasn't paying that much attention, because I figured they were just BS-ing their way to an end to the saga, milking the franchise.

WRT the first movie, I've thought for a while it should have ended with everyone in the hovercraft Nebuchadnezzar's* control deck, congratulating themselves on surviving.  The old landline phone rings.  Neo picks it up and and answers.  Neo disappears, poof.  And we're back to being not quite sure where in the stack of worlds and simulations we really are.

*spell Czech doesn't flag the name of a 5th century BC Babylonian emperor.  Interesting.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2021, 10:23:33 AM »
THE MATRIX 4 RESURRECTIONS "Agent Smith Returns" Trailer 3 (NEW 2021) Keanu Reeves Action Movie HD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmKZV1USiks
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2021, 11:10:58 AM »
The rave party pretty much tanked it for me. Overall, it was a good popcorn action thing, with individual things that were pretty cool... The car chase, Sonny Chiba, and so on...
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2021, 03:31:00 PM »
I could be good.  I just have low expectations.  Maybe that is for the best.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2021, 03:41:46 PM »
SWMBO mentioned she doesn't remember ever seeing the original. That's a good excuse to spin it up this weekend. I have the remastered 4K set and haven't had a chance to watch it yet. It's supposed to be stellar.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2021, 07:18:34 AM »
I actually watched part of the 1st one on my flight from San Diego to Detroit yesterday.  Planning on watching it again this eve while wife does homework

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2021, 10:52:06 AM »
SWMBO mentioned she doesn't remember ever seeing the original. That's a good excuse to spin it up this weekend. I have the remastered 4K set and haven't had a chance to watch it yet. It's supposed to be stellar.

Brad
I need to see if I have a copy.  A 4K version would be good.  I have been trying to collect physical media of the best movies (in my lifetime at least).  Got Terminator, Predator, and Zulu recently.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2021, 11:28:10 AM »
I need to see if I have a copy.  A 4K version would be good.

Trilogy in 4K UHD shows in stock and priced $48 as of today.

https://www.amazon.com/Matrix-Trilogy-UHD-BD-Blu-ray/dp/B07G2CJP6C/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=matrix+4k&qid=1639153322&sr=8-2

Brad
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2021, 11:51:43 AM »
Stuff like this doesn't bode well

The Matrix Resurrections, despite (and because of) its infinite goofiness, is the boldest & most vividly personal Hollywood sequel since The Last Jedi. a silly/sincere galaxy brain take on reboot culture that makes peace with how modern blockbusters are now only about themselves.

— david ehrlich (@davidehrlich) December 17, 2021
https://www.indiewire.com/2021/12/the-matrix-resurrections-first-reactions-1234686455/

"the boldest & most vividly personal Hollywood sequel since The Last Jedi", yeah....  :facepalm:

Some review are describing it as a comedy  :facepalm:

The Matrix Resurrections reviews compare it to The Last Jedi?! Likely to be CRUSHED by Spider-Man!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhGWqeYOFE8
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 12:37:28 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2021, 12:31:00 AM »
Stuff like this doesn't bode well
https://www.indiewire.com/2021/12/the-matrix-resurrections-first-reactions-1234686455/

"the boldest & most vividly personal Hollywood sequel since The Last Jedi", yeah....  :facepalm:

Some review are describing it as a comedy  :facepalm:

The Matrix Resurrections reviews compare it to The Last Jedi?! Likely to be CRUSHED by Spider-Man!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhGWqeYOFE8

I'd only compare a movie to The Last Jedi as a baseline for complete *expletive deleted*it.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2021, 11:24:04 AM »
Yikes

The Matrix Resurrections DESERVES to die at the box office! One of the WORST movies I’ve ever seen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl2mtpe13WU
- Calvin and Hobbes