Author Topic: Land Leveling For Dummies?  (Read 498 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Land Leveling For Dummies?
« on: September 09, 2021, 10:22:02 AM »
So related to my Conex box thread, I need to level a couple of places around the property for pads. As in, land is already pretty flat, but needs to be level. I'm seeing laser leveling kits for the $400-$500ish range and wonder if they are worth it (I plan on needing more areas leveled, and/or slopes shot), and if they are somewhat dumbass proof. Has anyone used one?

Alternately, my excavator guy charges me $225 for a two hour minimum and could do it all a lot faster than me. Trying to decide if this is worth learning, or just paying the young guy to do it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Land Leveling For Dummies?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 11:08:46 AM »
Well, 50' or so of clear tubing and some water with food coloring makes a good tool. Make two stands about a foot or so high with flat bases to hold the ends vertically.
Blog under construction

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 11:19:43 AM »
Have you got a box scraper/scarifier for your tractor 3 point? Doesn't sound like you need a lot of precision since you will probably just set blocks for corners and mid sides.(?)
I have done a pretty fair job of it with my tractor and a couple of level string lines for visual guides. Yeah I had to climb off and on a few times to move stakes or recheck but I got it done without a construction laser. 
If I decided I really needed a laser, I would buy an 18V milwaukee (or whatever rechargeable brand you currently favor) for less than $400.
I have these \/
https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Level-Tool-Line-585/dp/B00002N7UE/ref=asc_df_B00002N7UE?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80745500157886&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345028457080&psc=1
What we have here is failure to communicate.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 11:28:03 AM »
I didn't pay anywhere near that for my homeowner grade laser level, and have put up two sheds, and leveled three patios with it.

Hold on, let me check my Amazon history from a decade ago.

ETA:  OK it went up $70 from when I bought it:  $329  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ME77KH8/

This was plenty of accuracy for me for that kind of stuff.  Take your time setting it up and leveling the laser, and make sure no one bumps the tripod. It's not the best, but it works fine.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 11:37:50 AM »
Thanks for the links guys. Yeah, I have a box blade for the tractor. I've gotten pretty good with it on doing roads and cutting crowns for drainage on them, but have never done any larger flat areas with it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 11:42:58 AM »
Well, 50' or so of clear tubing and some water with food coloring makes a good tool. Make two stands about a foot or so high with flat bases to hold the ends vertically.

This.

Can also be done with some stakes or posts and laser or string level. Set the corners, run and level the string.

Easier to level in the corners first, then reference to that for laterals and crossbeams.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB