Author Topic: Fed.gov is keeping you safe from accidentally reading harmful info.  (Read 1099 times)

dogmush

• friend
The National Archives, in an attempt to have "standards or policies to help archivists avoid harmful language.", has started warning readers of it's online catalog of the harmful language the Archives documents may subject them to.

The warning page is here: https://www.archives.gov/research/reparative-description/harmful-content

What harmful or difficult content may be found in the National Archives Catalog and our web pages?
Some items may:

reflect racist, sexist, ableist, misogynistic/misogynoir, and xenophobic opinions and attitudes;
be discriminatory towards or exclude diverse views on sexuality, gender, religion, and more;
include graphic content of historical events such as violent death, medical procedures, crime, wars/terrorist acts, natural disasters and more;
demonstrate bias and exclusion in institutional collecting and digitization policies.

The banner and link to why it's important to still have these hurtful documents is on the top of every document's page.  (see attachment) Link to that page

At this point I'm not even surprised or outraged, I just shake my head.  I will restate my belief that America has progressed too far down the path of tribalism, and violence is unavoidable.  Labeling things that might give us a National Identity as harmful only aids the decent into Yugoslav style dissolution.  My only hope at this point is we limp along long enough that the wife and I can retire far enough into the sticks it mostly passes us by. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Fed.gov is keeping you safe from accidentally reading harmful info.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 09:36:25 AM »
I hate this stuff. The "curating" and censorship that is running rampant today is one of the scariest threats to our country, IMO. Especially the "stealth censoring", where things simply disappear or get edited.

I'm about ready to buy around 1000 reams of paper, a bunch of laser cartridges, and to just start printing stuff that I would like to see presented in its original form, or that I am afraid is on the "curating" chopping block and will be disappeared in electronic format before I have a chance to read it. Historical and classic literature being prime examples.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 10:06:02 AM »
I hate this stuff. The "curating" and censorship that is running rampant today is one of the scariest threats to our country, IMO. Especially the "stealth censoring", where things simply disappear or get edited.

I'm about ready to buy around 1000 reams of paper, a bunch of laser cartridges, and to just start printing stuff that I would like to see presented in its original form, or that I am afraid is on the "curating" chopping block and will be disappeared in electronic format before I have a chance to read it. Historical and classic literature being prime examples.
It's not just printed matter - just try and find a good copy of the original Star Wars movie, where Han shot first.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 10:10:32 AM »
It's not just printed matter - just try and find a good copy of the original Star Wars movie, where Han shot first.

Han was the only one that shot. See if you can find Harmys despecialized version.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 10:27:25 AM »

Certainly true. It's not just the government doing the "curating". I have posted here before how I have found all kinds of streaming shows, from documentaries to comedies, with segments suddenly missing due to SJW interference. Big tech is just as guilty (if not more so) than government in attempting to rewrite our history and change our perceptions.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 10:28:51 AM »
Is it triggering to read about efforts to avoid triggering?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 10:46:08 AM »
People have noticed that streamed movies have been edited in a couple cases.  I have heard a few people talk about the importance of owning physical media and not depending on online versions.  Amazon has done that with the Kindle too I think.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 11:41:06 AM »
Amazon has done that with the Kindle too I think.

Yes. Amazon can muck in your connected Kindle at will. I have zero evidence that they have gone in and stealth edited books I already own. I do constantly see "update available" for many of my books. This is likely just stuff like typo corrections, but there is nothing stopping them from also curating* my reading material.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-amazon-is-within-its-rights-to-remove-access-to-your-kindle-books/

*I kinda hate using this word, as "curating" is "their" word, used to justify what they are doing. Not sure what the proper word is for what I consider this nefarious activity.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 03:23:19 PM »
*I kinda hate using this word, as "curating" is "their" word, used to justify what they are doing. Not sure what the proper word is for what I consider this nefarious activity.

Memory-holing.

Really, though, 1984's doublespeak is not nearly so clever, and simultaneously brazen, as what the "liberal progressive intelligentsia" are up to right now. (If you didn't catch it, each of those words are now used opposite to their actual meaning.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 05:13:02 PM »
I'm about ready to buy around 1000 reams of paper, a bunch of laser cartridges, and to just start printing stuff that I would like to see presented in its original form...

Perhaps I'm too cynical but the first thing I thought is that such an archive would meet the same fate as the Library of Alexandria.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 10:34:02 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/Right-Keep-Bear-Arms-Collection/dp/1736443437/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1EVHTJ3PGK0LZ&dchild=1&keywords=the+right+to+keep+and+bear+arms&qid=1631327600&sprefix=The+Right+To+Keep+And%2Caps%2C229&sr=8-4
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 11:04:26 PM »
Or in the movie "E.T.: The Extraterrestrial" where, near the end where the kids and their bikes take to the air, the road is blocked by the "government".  In the original theatrical release, the G-men were holding rifles, shotguns, and handguns.  Years later, they "bleeped" the firearms and substituted walkie-talkies.
Who would believe that a scared government, faced with an unknown like this would NOT call for a lot of "hardware"?
  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2021, 07:48:38 PM »
More

Emily Zanotti reports:

Digital copies of America’s founding documents — as well as other historical documents in the National Archives’ online catalog — now feature “trigger warnings” alerting readers that they may contain “harmful language,” and the change appears to follow the release of a “little-noticed” report from a National Archives racism task force that suggested the agency provide “context” for its historical materials.

Digital copies of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, most notably, now feature a “Harmful Language Alert,” which appears at the top of the page, and directs users to a National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) statement on “potentially harmful content.”

America’s founding documents now feature ‘Harmful Language Alert’ on National Archives site
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/09/11/americas-founding-documents-now-feature-harmful-language-alert-on-national-archives-site/

Really?  :facepalm:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2021, 10:26:28 PM »
Just more evidence that the Republic is finished.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2021, 10:50:45 PM »
I don't really like the saying, but if the shoe fits... "Clown world"