Author Topic: Looking to upgrade your TV? Best Buy clearance  (Read 1748 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Looking to upgrade your TV? Best Buy clearance
« on: September 10, 2021, 03:01:00 PM »
Looks like BB has a bunch of sets on clearance, likely getting ready for new Christmas season models. Couple of really good deals.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/1610123635759?cp=2&sp=%2Bcurrentprice%20skuidsaas

An LG 65" 81 series for $629? Nice.

If you see something and the Clearance price isn't too your liking, check the Available Starting At link. I've bought a lot of stuff Open Box, including my last HT receiver. No disappointments yet.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 04:48:44 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Looking to upgrade your TV? Best Buy clearance
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 03:36:59 PM »
Costco has been throwing the Samsung 65" QLED TVs in my face for a couple of months now at $1100, which is $500 less than I paid for my 55". I usually buy a new TV as often as  I buy a new car, but I think I might succumb. Maybe even the 75", which isn't that much more, but would absolutely be the largest TV I could fit in my allotted space. Maybe still too big.

Ever since I got that Pacman console I've been coming up with ideas for my upstairs bonus room, which up till now was pretty much used just to get guests out of my hair. Now I'm thinking of getting at least one more retro cabinet, plus while rearranging the room for the Pacman, I found my old PS2 with some games. So I could take my 55" upstairs to use there. Plus a TV upstairs is another way to have less "guest time" downstairs.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 04:59:16 PM »
I haven’t had a tv since 1996. I’ve thought about getting one but I don’t know anything about them anymore and I would have to get home internet first.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 05:06:05 PM »
I found my old PS2 with some games.

Does that even have A/V compatible with modern TVs?  When I wanted to fire up my old NES, I had to go to Craigslist to find a CRT.  Fortunately my PS3 is backward-compatible with PS2 titles and can be used with flatscreens.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 05:14:34 PM »
Does that even have A/V compatible with modern TVs?  When I wanted to fire up my old NES, I had to go to Craigslist to find a CRT.  Fortunately my PS3 is backward-compatible with PS2 titles and can be used with flatscreens.

Yikes, that's a good point. I will need to  check. There must be some converters out there though. It ran on the 50" LCD I had previously to the current LED, but like I said, I don't buy TVs that often and that one was at least ten years old, so had RCA connectors.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 07:59:14 AM »
I keep thinking about getting a new TV and a surround system to go with it.

I need some new living room furniture while I'm at it, and I really should replace the carpet and paint...

*expletive deleted*it, this is getting expensive...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 08:43:18 AM »
I keep thinking about getting a new TV and a surround system to go with it.

I need some new living room furniture while I'm at it, and I really should replace the carpet and paint...

*expletive deleted*it, this is getting expensive...

You should see what "I just want to scrape the ugly acoustic off the ceiling" eventually cost us.

Brad
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 08:53:48 AM »
You should see what "I just want to scrape the ugly acoustic off the ceiling" eventually cost us.

Brad

Makes you wonder what people in the 60s were smoking to come up with that stuff. I can't remember the ceiling of the house I was born in, but the one I grew up in had it, and it was in everything I lived in up until 1992.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 10:19:25 AM »
Makes you wonder what people in the 60s were smoking to come up with that stuff. I can't remember the ceiling of the house I was born in, but the one I grew up in had it, and it was in everything I lived in up until 1992.

Dad sprayed it in the house he built his reasoning was it was a major surface not to have to finely sand, prime and paint which I think was one reason it was popular. He decided later he hated it of course
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 10:28:59 AM »
Dad sprayed it in the house he built his reasoning was it was a major surface not to have to finely sand, prime and paint which I think was one reason it was popular. He decided later he hated it of course

At the time, everyone seemed to think it was the thing to do. Like, what else would you do? Leave the ceilings bare?!?  That's ridiculous!

My folks built a new house in 1980 and of course had the ceiling sprayed. It wasn't even a question. The builder just planned on it, because that's what you did. Around 2000, they added a major addition and of course that was NOT sprayed.  :laugh:

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2021, 12:36:55 PM »
I haven’t had a tv since 1996. I’ve thought about getting one but I don’t know anything about them anymore and I would have to get home internet first.

Not that bad, but close. 1999 was the last time I had regular TV service. Think we had a dish for 6 months somewhere 10 years ago. Always have a TV for movies but I took it down for room redevelopment the summer before rona and it hasn't been put back up yet. And I rely on the finest latest technology in free hand me down TVs. I have no idea how best buy and others stay in business. Think I went into a Circuit City once and that has obviously been awhile.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2021, 12:41:41 PM »
I have no idea how best buy and others stay in business.

Easy. Everybody else wants TVs.  :laugh:

I don't think I have ever been in Costco where somebody didn't have a TV of one size or another on their cart. TVs are ridiculously cheap nowadays. When even top of the line ones are $1500 and under, that's like buying a top of the line TV in 1970 for $50.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2021, 07:27:22 PM »
For a  few years, we mostly lived in an apartment in town, because my little brother would have asthma attacks if he had to live in the country. The doctors never really figured out what caused them, but I digress...

The apartment had the ceiling done in mop bucket spackle. And one section had some epic profanity engraved for posterity. Didn't notice it for a couple of years.
Blog under construction

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2021, 08:20:51 PM »
Holy crap, 81"????

Our 56 feels massive. 81" is a wall.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2021, 09:39:54 AM »

Brad

I know what it costs.

It's made even better by the fact that some pop corn materials... contained asbestos...

Simply wallboarding over a textured ceiling is often a better option.

I grew up in a Victorian-era house that had sand-textured plaster walls and ceilings in a number of the rooms.

Incredible SOB to repair when a chunk would delaminate and fall off.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2021, 03:22:41 PM »
Holy crap, 81"????

Our 56 feels massive. 81" is a wall.
I upgraded to a 75" after one of the Thanksgiving sales a couple years ago.  It still seems massive to me. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2021, 03:36:57 PM »
Judging from the Costco TV aisles, 85" is the new 75". Last year there might have been one or two. Right now my Costco has almost one side of an aisle full of 85s. Running from ~$1800-$3800.

Though I don't know if I would buy an $1800 85" TV. I might buy a $600 55", but when you get to 85", I can't help but think that lower image quality is going to be much more noticeable. Though with my aging eyes, maybe not. I keep watching things in 4K on mine, and I'm pretty sure I'm missing much of what 4K provides.  :laugh:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2021, 03:42:08 PM »
Judging from the Costco TV aisles, 85" is the new 75". Last year there might have been one or two. Right now my Costco has almost one side of an aisle full of 85s. Running from ~$1800-$3800.

Though I don't know if I would buy an $1800 85" TV. I might buy a $600 55", but when you get to 85", I can't help but think that lower image quality is going to be much more noticeable. Though with my aging eyes, maybe not. I keep watching things in 4K on mine, and I'm pretty sure I'm missing much of what 4K provides.  :laugh:
Must be the newer Tech.  Mine was in the $800 range and ultra high def LED.  They keep finding ways to make them better and more expensive. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2021, 03:42:42 PM »

We bought our last TV at Costco.  (I dunno what size, 40-something inch) and I warned my wife that the TVs are actually much larger than they look in the store.  She didn't believe me of course, so I took a tape measure along.  I also had measured to see exactly how large a TV would fit in the space we had.  (this was in a small bedroom) We picked a small one that she thought would be acceptable, and it just barely fit when we got it home.  She actually commented afterwards that I was right -- that almost never happens :D
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2021, 03:45:33 PM »
We have a 70" Samsung 4K LED TV that we bought at Costco back in 2017, and we sit 15 feet away from it.  My wife keeps talking about buying a bigger one, and I am not sure I see the point.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2021, 04:03:51 PM »
I have a 9 year old Sharp 65".  I really want to upgrade to 75" and 4k, but as of yet I haven't made myself spend the ~$1800 in credit card points it will take.

Every couple months I obsessively watch reviews of the mid-tier TV's and keep coming back to the same couple models, but so far, I just don't want one bad enough. There's nothing actually wrong with the current TV, except being 1080P 60hz.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2021, 04:38:04 PM »
A 65" TV is just about right for my viewing space. I could go 75", but I think it would look funny. I was an idiot for not getting a 65" two years ago when I got my 55". It was only like a $500 price difference on the Q7 QLEDs (Samsung).

On the other hand, if I go through with doing what I want to do with my bonus room, it makes it easier to justify getting a 65" now for the living room.  =)

I will say that one thing I like is that most TVs are now going back to a centered stand. Those end legs are fine on smaller TVs, but end legs on a 65" would barely fit my TV cabinet. I couldn't even put a 75" with end legs on it, which would mean getting a whole new stand - probably one of the newer ones that have the watchyamacallit mounts on them, like a wall mount. I really like the TV stands that have those as well.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2021, 05:01:15 PM »

Biggest issue with cheap larger sets, especially 4K, is the combination of weak graphics engines and low refresh rate. Refresh rate should be at least 120 Hz, (true native 120 Hz, no frame doublers, upscalers, high-refresh emulation, etc.). A set with a solid graphics engine and decent 120 Hz emulator can be okay, but a set with the combination of lousy graphics engine and poor refresh rate is a usually a dismal viewing experience. It's especially bad with programming which has lots of screen activity.

Brad
-HankB