Author Topic: Looking to upgrade your TV? Best Buy clearance  (Read 1749 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Looking to upgrade your TV? Best Buy clearance
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2021, 08:39:24 PM »
My old home theater, Before I Feel In Love, had a projector and a 92" 16x9. First row was 12' away. First row also had sub transducers mounted to the sofa frame. Total power was in the 5,000 watt area, a stack of Crown gig amps. 7.2 surround, with four 15" subs, two in sealed boxes, and two in a ported rumblemonster.

That was NOT a living room television.
Blog under construction

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2021, 09:34:15 PM »
Last spring, the 36" TV in our finished basement crapped out.  SWMBO considers a TV in our basement to be a necessity, because a few times a year we get tornado warnings and ride them out in the basement.  So, we start looking, and realize that our 50" family room TV (bought in 2018) fit well in the basement, and we could actually get a 65" for less than we paid back then for the 50".  So, we got the 65" for the family room, and I took the 50" to teh basement, which is a vast improvement over the 36" for my XBox One.

Now, both boys have 25" smart TVs bought for their dorm rooms.  Both now live in apartments, and are eyeing my TV.  Maybe I need to convince SWMBO that we need to shop Best Buy for new TVs for their apartments...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2021, 07:10:08 AM »
Holy crap, 81"????

Our 56 feels massive. 81" is a wall.

Little did Ray Bradbury know how soon the future he described in Fahrenheit 451 would be coming to pass.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2021, 07:14:26 AM »
"I will say that one thing I like is that most TVs are now going back to a centered stand. Those end legs are fine on smaller TVs, but end legs on a 65" would barely fit my TV cabinet. I couldn't even put a 75" with end legs on it, which would mean getting a whole new stand - probably one of the newer ones that have the watchyamacallit mounts on them, like a wall mount. I really like the TV stands that have those as well."

I know the stand I bought a couple of years ago won't take the size TV I want, so I'm going to wall mount it and use the stand as the media center -- sound bar, Xboxes, DVR, etc.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2021, 07:19:13 AM »
Last spring, the 36" TV in our finished basement crapped out.  SWMBO considers a TV in our basement to be a necessity, because a few times a year we get tornado warnings and ride them out in the basement.  So, we start looking, and realize that our 50" family room TV (bought in 2018) fit well in the basement, and we could actually get a 65" for less than we paid back then for the 50".  So, we got the 65" for the family room, and I took the 50" to teh basement, which is a vast improvement over the 36" for my XBox One.

Now, both boys have 25" smart TVs bought for their dorm rooms.  Both now live in apartments, and are eyeing my TV.  Maybe I need to convince SWMBO that we need to shop Best Buy for new TVs for their apartments...

I paid almost $2,000 for my first HDTV, a 48" Toshiba. Great picture, but it got taken out by a power surge, I think, and would have cost almost $1,000 to repair.

So, I bought a Samsung... I THINK it's a 40" -- in 2008 just before the Phillies went into the playoffs on their way to a World Series win (I'm a huge Phillies Phan).

Great picture, it still looks good, but when I compare the picture against the picture of a similarly sized HDTV today? There's simply no comparison.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2021, 01:41:42 PM »
And you get to see every damn wrinkle on a veteran "journalist's" mug... No matter how much makeup she has...
Blog under construction