Author Topic: Blauplunkt car stereos  (Read 397 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Blauplunkt car stereos
« on: September 10, 2021, 06:03:46 PM »
Is it now a shitty Chinese company?  (Chinese does not == shitty but it's a pretty good indicator of *expletive deleted*it)  I thought they were a subsidiary of Bosch and were a high-end German brand made in Germany or Japan.  Now all the Blaupunkt products I see have very low prices and terrible reviews.  Same think may apply to Grundig, but there's a lot less data points so I'm not sure.

(I'm looking for a replacement stereo for my new (to me) truck.  The one that's in there only works intermittently and it has no aux inputs or bluetooth)
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Blauplunkt car stereos
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 06:22:35 PM »
Blaupunkt GmbH (About this soundlisten (help·info)) was a German manufacturer of mostly car audio equipment. It was owned by Robert Bosch GmbH from 1933 until 1 March 2009, when it was sold to Aurelius AG of Germany. It filed for bankruptcy in late 2015[1] with liquidation proceedings completed in early 2016.[2][3] The brand is now managed by GIP Development SARL of Luxembourg and is used on various product groups worldwide.
After the 2011 take-over, Blaupunkt became a managed brand name with all production outsourced to China.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaupunkt
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 06:30:17 PM »
"GIP."  Huh.  Equals "gyp?"  As in "They tried to gyp me with that driveway resurfacng scam."

Just interesting to notice.

I'm reminded of that "The Simpsons" bit where every brand name in a discount department store is a slight variation on actual brand names.  Moterola, Somy, Harmin-Cardin, Hamilton Beech, etc.

Like Blauplunkt  for Blaupunkt.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 05:21:18 AM by 230RN »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 06:55:42 PM »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 11:47:15 AM »
I have a 19 year old Blauplunkt that came with my truck, I do like it alot.  If I was to buy a new stereo to replace it, I'd probably be looking at Kenwood, Alpine or Pioneer. Kenwood would be my 1st choice, I'm a Kenwood fanboi, my dual band radio in my truck is a Kenwood and previously I've only had Kenwood for aftermarket car audio.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 12:15:57 PM »
I'm mainly looking at Sony, Kenwood, and Pioneer.  Also perhaps an OEM Delco radio from the same period as the truck if I can get one unlocked -- it won't have Bluetooth but would have a front Aux input and I can work with that.  Crutchfield, Best Buy, and Walmart are pretty much out of stock on everything with a brand name.  They blame it on Covid, of course; maybe that's legit.

I'd like to order from Crutchfield if I go with an aftermarket radio because they have the adapters to wire it in to the harness and retain most of the factory functions.  With Delco, I shouldn't need any adapters but have to make sure I get a model that will play nice with my truck's computer and onboard diagnostics.
"It's good, though..."