Author Topic: Roof Maxx asphalt shingle rejuvenation  (Read 1869 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Roof Maxx asphalt shingle rejuvenation
« on: September 12, 2021, 03:27:58 PM »
https://roofmaxx.com/

I have never heard of this until last week, when ads for it started in my Facebook feed.  It claims to rejuvenate your asphalt shingles by spraying them with a food-safe plant-oil solution, to replace the asphalt oils that degrade over time.

Is anyone familiar with this?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Roof Maxx asphalt shingle rejuvenation
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 03:41:16 PM »
Sounds like the old "We were doing a job in your neighborhood and had enough left over to re-do your driveway."  So instead of a layer of fresh asphalt they just spray it with oil so it looks good, and you were gypped.

Question 1:  "What are the symptoms which indicate that 'rejuvenation' is needed?"

Terry "fool me once," 230RN

REF (Indirect but relevant):
https://www.bbb.org/article/news-releases/22467-bbbb-scam-alert-watch-out-for-free-roof-inspections

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 04:02:36 PM »
Sounds like complete bullshit to me to separate you from your money
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 06:34:38 PM »
Sounds like complete bullshit to me to separate you from your money

QFT

If the asphalt is degraded, it's degraded. There's no magic oil that can un-degrade it. Anything with enough solvent properties to soften asphalt will likely evaporate off quickly, probably leaving  the shingles less structurally sound in the process. Most likely you'll just end up with an oily roof.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 06:49:43 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 06:36:33 PM »
Wouldn't spraying the roof with a bunch of kerosene accomplish the same thing?   Sounds just as promising. ;)

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 06:46:12 PM »
QFT

If the asphalt is degraded, it's degraded. There'a no magic oil that can un-degrade ii.

Brad

Yeah, that.

Watching their video, it seems it's all about "saving the environment" by not putting waste into landfills and "using the Earth's resources" more than it is about helping your roof. The video says that they're using soy oil to do this, so sounds kinda hippie dippy to me.

Also, their example is $10K for a new roof or $2K for their treatment, which they say lasts five years. Even on a 30 year roof, if you amortize you are better off just spending the $10K for a new roof. Or spend $12K and get a 50 year roof, and other than stuff like storm damage, don't worry about it for the rest of your life.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 07:01:04 PM »
Why not just paint your roof with Flex Seal?????

:rofl:

Jokes aside, I've had friends say they have had pretty good results from using Flex Seal paint to waterproof things. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 07:23:15 PM »
People put flex seal into cars. Don't even get me started.
Blog under construction

230RN

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 05:36:43 AM »
Why not just paint your roof with Flex Seal?????

:rofl:

Ding ding ding !

Jokes aside, I've had friends say they have had pretty good results from using Flex Seal paint to waterproof things. 

OK if you don't mind a 125 foot giant clomping around the neighborhood.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 07:31:08 AM »
There's apparently some truth to the effectiveness of these rejuenators. They can restore SOME flexibility to dried out asphalt. There are similar products for road asphalt.

The big question is, however, is it cost effective?

That I can't answer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 08:29:17 AM »
So it's basically veg oil?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 08:41:45 AM »
There's apparently some truth to the effectiveness of these rejuenators. They can restore SOME flexibility to dried out asphalt. There are similar products for road asphalt.

I would guess that once it's applied, the roof looks new. However you could say the same for Armor All applied to your car's interior or tires. It looks good for a short while, but if you don't continually reapply it, that stuff looks as bad or worse than before the treatment. I'm wondering about the actual longevity of the Roof Maxx. Maybe there are images of roofs that were treated with it and how they look a couple of years later.

I still submit that even if it is physically effective, and lasts the five years that they claim, that in most instances it would be more fiscally effective to throw the thousands of dollars into a new roof.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 09:28:33 AM »
"I would guess that once it's applied, the roof looks new."

It's not so much that the roof "looks" new (remember, if the roof is old, you've been losing the granulation on it as well as flexibility)...

Think of it this way... it's like Lexol for asphalt compounds.

I've seen the analog compound used on roadway asphalt. Does it return the asphalt to as-new condition? No. Does it help extend the asphalt's lifespan by returning some flexibility to it? It seems to.

"I still submit that even if it is physically effective, and lasts the five years that they claim, that in most instances it would be more fiscally effective to throw the thousands of dollars into a new roof."

I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2021, 02:47:14 PM »
https://www.askthebuilder.com/roof-maxx-review/ a rival roof protecting product inventor reviews roof-maxx. I'm not sure if this guy in the link is selling anything worth while, I just thought it was interesting.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2021, 08:52:50 PM »
My next roof? Gonna be metal. I think I can do it with one other guy.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 07:32:13 AM »
I grew up in a house with a metal roof that had been installed in probably the 1920s.

It was in extremely good condition when Mom and Dad moved out in 1999.

A few years ago I was passing through town and... it had been shingled.

My guess? Someone sold the homeowners a complete and total bill of goods. The house was huge, the roof was probably a total of 30 to 40 square or more with the hips, valleys, and ridges. That was not a cheap job.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2021, 03:32:15 PM »
A long time ago residential housing for the University of Colorado (CU) was Quonset huts.  A couple Wife1 and I knew lived in one.

When it rained or hailed the noise was terrific.  He used to put an oscillating lawn sprinkler on the roof to keep it cool.  Really funny to hear the water "walk" back and forth on the roof.

Most of the buildings at CU have red tiled roofs.  I was going to suggest that.

Terry, 230RN

Pic credit in properties

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2021, 06:24:45 PM »
My next roof? Gonna be metal. I think I can do it with one other guy.

We had a metal roof installed year before last.  We were quoted ~$7k for a 30 year shingle, ~$10k for the metal roof.  Since we'd had a "30 year" shingle installed about 10 years prior, we opted for the metal roof.

I don't know if it's helped insulate the house - we had new windows & AC installed at the same time - but our electric bill has dropped by ~30% this summer. 

It is noisier than a comp roof in the rain and hail.  Not uncomfortably so, it's actually sort of nice - I'm inside, toasty warm while nature's having her way outside.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2021, 08:20:22 AM »
Quonset Hut housing was a thing at many universities after WW II. The massive influx of students exercising their GI Bill benefits (many students were also married with families) caused severe housing shortages all across the country.

But, not only were they used for housing, they were also used for classrooms.

Neat article about Quonset huts at University of North Carolina.

https://blogs.lib.unc.edu/uarms/2017/06/05/a-can-for-all-seasons-quonset-huts-at-postwar-unc/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2021, 08:27:25 AM »
An even more interesting article about the Quonset hut that talks about its various designs and development phases and its post war use...

https://lynceans.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Quonset-huts-converted.pdf

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2021, 09:08:12 AM »
I don't remember hearing about those huts at Texas A&M.  However, I did get to drive on the old air field that was considered part of the campus (some miles away).  Great for automotive test runs. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 09:36:00 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2021, 09:31:43 AM »
I don't remember hearing about those huts at Texas A&M.  However, I did get to drive on the old air field that was considered part of the campus.  Great for automotive test runs.

I vaguely remember there were Quonset huts at Texas A&M in the late 70's, that's where I learned the name of them, but I don't remember where exactly nor what they were used for.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2021, 09:42:11 AM »
There were Quonsets at UC Santa Barbara as well. During WW2, the campus (or at least campus land) was connected to the airport and had a military presence waiting for the Japanese to land.  :laugh:

In fact the fist attack on US soil in WW2 occurred there. In Ellwood actually, where I lived. My condo complex was around 400 yards from the golf course.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/monument-to-the-bombardment-of-ellwood