Author Topic: Sailing Again!!!  (Read 433 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Sailing Again!!!
« on: September 17, 2021, 09:37:01 PM »
Background: https://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=65215.msg1319675#msg1319675

Took the ketch out for the maiden/shakedown sail today. I was going to go out yesterday but had a couple of things break before I could even untie the lines.

Got the necessary problems fixed and the grandson and I took her out.
Still have some fine tuning to work out but she sailed beautifully with no problems.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Sailing Again!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 10:00:36 PM »
Remind me again what lake this is?  It looks to be a pretty good size.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 10:07:00 PM »
Oologah Lake in NE Oklahoma.
Good sailing lake not much powerboat traffic.
Grew up fishing and playing on the lake in the '70s. For some reason it's always been the redheaded stepchild of the COE lakes in Oklahoma. Even the nightly news "forgets" it when they report area lake levels.

In practice 6-7 miles is the farthest we can sail up the lake but if the water is up a bit there is about that much more that is sailable but few ever go that far North and the road shown on the map below at Winganon is a low bridge that can be a stopper for bass boats if the lake is up much.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/U.S.+Army+Corps+of+Engineers/@36.403332,-95.750428,11z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x9dc33ff6f25a67ee!8m2!3d36.429527!4d-95.682042?hl=en-US
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 04:00:51 PM »
Looks like one sweet ride Larry.
From the way you describe the lake, it may be fairly narrow (an old river channel?) which will keep some squirrelly winds to a minimum, making for smoother sailing.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 11:21:47 PM »
Had her out on the lake this afternoon and some friends of mine snapped a few pics

Samuel Adams